Karaoke

budisal

Are they still doing karaoke on the HAL ships?

I recently took an Alaska cruise on the Maasdam and they had it ONE time during those two weeks. It was a little disappointing for my brother who loves doing Karaoke.

That's what I was afraid of. The last time we were on the Eurodam (twice) they had karaoke twice during the cruise and they were a disaster -- just me and a couple of the bartenders singing. One lady showed up. I sang my first song. She looked at me and said, "well, I can't match that" and walked out.

Celebrity, on the other hand, had karaoke almost every night of our two week cruise and there were six or seven of us that sang all night.

My son and I did a one week Royal Caribbean cruise last summer. Younger crowd. Younger songs. Excellent karaoke singers. Again, every night.

Maybe it's because HAL caters to an older crowd. Maybe it's because the older crowd can't keep their eyes open after dinner. Or maybe they just love the 'main' show and go to bed immediately afterwards. Unfortunately, HAL's our favourite line. But singing is what I love doing and my outlet on vacation is karaoke. Darn!

That's what I was afraid of. The last time we were on the Eurodam (twice) they had karaoke twice during the cruise and they were a disaster -- just me and a couple of the bartenders singing. One lady showed up. I sang my first song. She looked at me and said, "well, I can't match that" and walked out.

Celebrity, on the other hand, had karaoke almost every night of our two week cruise and there were six or seven of us that sang all night.

My son and I did a one week Royal Caribbean cruise last summer. Younger crowd. Younger songs. Excellent karaoke singers. Again, every night.

Maybe it's because HAL caters to an older crowd. Maybe it's because the older crowd can't keep their eyes open after dinner. Or maybe they just love the 'main' show and go to bed immediately afterwards. Unfortunately, HAL's our favourite line. But singing is what I love doing and my outlet on vacation is karaoke. Darn!

I think the sharp decrease in karaoke is largely due to the fact that the BB King band is now in the Queen's Lounge (where karaoke was usually held) most nights. HAL has a very limited number of venues, and losing one of them to a somewhat permanent act eliminates the space availability. The BB King band will occasionally have a night off and there's usually another night when they're the mainstage act, but then HAL has to also squeeze in the traditional nighttime games. There was only one karaoke session on my last 11-day cruise on the Zuiderdam.

Something else that they used to have was live band karaoke with the HAL Cats, but that appears to be a thing of the past (along with the HAL Cats on most ships).

That's too bad. I enjoyed both the karaoke and the live band karaoke with the HAL Cats. Too bad. Oh well, I'll just have to book Celebrity for karaoke. Damn - our favorite is still HAL!