Holland America Line Confirms New Features for Next Pinnacle Class Ship

LauraS

Boy, HAL isn't losing any time in addressing hits and misses on the King. Perhaps the wine bar will become something more akin to Vines on Princess? And the Culinary Art Center is such a signature feature for HAL, I'm surprised more folks aren't participating in the dinner experience. But with the addition of yet another dining venue, HAL is certainly borrowing from my other line, NCL.

HAL had to be prepared for the "too-big" :mad: reaction, but as they say, Koningsdam is a meduim-size ship by anyone's definition. And for us "youngsters", we like a bit of room to roam.

My only disappointment is that there was not word of an increase in the number of OO Single Outside staterooms. Clearly demand exceeds supply, and an increase would seemingly appeal to HAL's target demographic. Perhaps we'll get word later, eh HAL? ;)

Ultimately, it's nice to have confirmation that Pinnacle II is a reality.

that is an embarrassing article!

Where is the positive spin?

Have these officers done any form of media training?

Between the average poster on these boards and HAL itself I am certain there is a conspiracy to downgrade my enthusiasm to such low levels that I will have no option other than to be impressed from such low expectations :eek:

Have not been on her, but from the write up & pictures from her first cruise the one big thing I didn't like was the Promenade Deck. I miss the traditional wide open to the sea with deck chairs. Don't know if HAL will or can do anything about that.

Allan

Ah, but will HAL fix the horrible mistake they made with the Promenade Deck. That is the question.

And also what about a library that almost completely disappeared ? I guess their reasoning is we don't make money on the library , lets scrap it ! :mad:

And also what about a library that almost completely disappeared ? I guess their reasoning is we don't make money on the library , lets scrap it ! :mad:

Good point about the library. The best one is on the Prinsendam, with those on the S- & R-class ships a pretty close second.

HAL needs to understand that removing places that don't generate revenue, and replacing them with revenue generating places, also remove many of the reasons for wanting to sail their ships in the first place.

Edited by RuthC

I'm afraid the library is most likely a victim of electronic devices and Wi-Fi. I bring my own library with me on my Kindle, for example, and I can imagine that use of the library's books has declined considerably as a result.

• 3 weeks later...
Good name, now all they need to do is bring back the promenade deck and the library

OBVIOUSLY the promenade cannot be modified on the existing ship and it would be unrealistic to assume a sister ship would have a dramatic redesign...

As for the library, many more books have already been added. This posted courtesy of our ABC affiliate weather man Seth Wayne who is covering the naming.

He captioned it as follows:

A mini @ElliottBayBooks at sea! #books #Koningsdam @HALcruises #KODMdedication

Ci1IiEGVAAEqMmM.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
OBVIOUSLY the promenade cannot be modified on the existing ship and it would be unrealistic to assume a sister ship would have a dramatic redesign...

As for the library, many more books have already been added. This posted courtesy of our ABC affiliate weather man Seth Wayne who is covering the naming.

He captioned it as follows:

A mini @ElliottBayBooks at sea! #books #Koningsdam @HALcruises #KODMdedication

Ci1IiEGVAAEqMmM.jpg

If this is what passes for a library it's pretty pathetic. I live in a town that has less population then the Koningsdam has passengers & crew with a bigger library.

Allan

If this is what passes for a library it's pretty pathetic. I live in a town that has less population then the Koningsdam has passengers & crew with a bigger library.

Allan

I so agree with your comments.

This looks more like the Neptune Lounge library than the library for the entire ship ;)

Not a library by my definition of the word ;)

I agree with Cruiser Bruiser, I think the library changes are in large part due to the electronics age. I do NOT like the idea of the space going away, but on the Voyage of the Vikings this summer, I was a regular visitor to the Expresso Bar, and I noted, day after day, that while the "Library" space was pretty full much of the time, for the folks reading there at least 75% were using electronic readers, the rest books and the daily NYT paper. Plenty of "older" looking folks were using e-readers.