Unlimited Laundry on European Sailings...I just called HAL

cmrules

And Ship Services said you can't book the Unlimited Laundry service on European sailings ahead of time. Did I get someone who didn't know what they were talking about and should I try again or is this true?

Thanks in advance for your help. First time HAL cruiser here...

Michelle

I suggest you call back. Here is the number I called to pre-pay and reserve the unlimited laundry package for my May 2016 Mediterranean cruise on the Eurodam. Pre-paying saved me $24: 800-541-1576.

I find it hard to believe that the policy changed in such a short time, but it is possible. When we arrived in our stateroom there was a card confirming the laundry package waiting for us. And boy did we make great use of it. We did a couple of delicate blouses ourselves, but everything else went into the bag! :D

I think you got wrong information. We had the same experience that cat shepard did (although not as recently). We paid less by ordering it before the cruise. There was a card in our stateroom telling how much it costs to order it when on board, and it was $2/day more than we paid (this is for European sailings).

I purchased ahead of time for my upcoming Med cruise. Did it last month. There have been real mixed messages (and results) about whether it costs two dollars a day more to wait til you board for European cruises. If you're on a twelve day cruise that's not much but a thirty day cruise would be worth the savings. Dinner for two at the Pinnacle savings.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I emailed HAL_Ship_Services@HollandAmerica.com 2 weeks ago and they told me I could prepay or book on the ship. Both methods are $7 a day for our 12 day Med cruise for the unlimited. Or, it's $20 a bag. I'm bringing the email print outs with me just to backup if the ship doesn't honor the pricing. I've heard that the price changes if you wait while onboard. I'm bringing my evidence!

We are sailing in July

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SLOTheta

On European itineraries the cost for laundry is $30/bag. HAL charges more in Europe and this is what we paid on the Nieuw Amsterdam on last year's TA from Civitecchia to FLL.

It is AMAZING how much we stuffed in that cloth bag by rolling up the clothes.

I read on another CC site that the Europe unlimited price is $9/day x the number of days on your cruise and that sounds right from my hazy recollection; we figured the per bag rate was best for us on a 16 day cruise where we needed only 3 bags for the whole trip after a 4 night precruise stay in Rome.

Whoever you spoke to at HAL quoted you the prices for laundry on Caribbean/East and West Coast cruises....Europe is more as others can attest on this CC site.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2223960

On European itineraries the cost for laundry is $30/bag. HAL charges more in Europe and this is what we paid on the Nieuw Amsterdam on last year's TA from Civitecchia to FLL.

It is AMAZING how much we stuffed in that cloth bag by rolling up the clothes.

Email from HAL:

Hello,

Laundry by the bag is $20/bag and unlimited laundry for your sailing is $84 for the stateroom.

Kind regards,

Sent: Monday, May 30, 2016 11:27 AM

To: HAL Ship Services (HAL)

Subject: Laundry Prices on Eurodam for Med Tapestry Cruise

Hello,

How much is it for the laundry by the bag? How much is unlimited laundry per day?

Thank you!

I emailed HAL_Ship_Services@HollandAmerica.com 2 weeks ago and they told me I could prepay or book on the ship. Both methods are $7 a day for our 12 day Med cruise for the unlimited. Or, it's $20 a bag. I'm bringing the email print outs with me just to backup if the ship doesn't honor the pricing. I've heard that the price changes if you wait while onboard. I'm bringing my evidence!

We are sailing in July

I suggest that you ring and pay in advance. We paid in advance last year and saved quite a bit.

We booked unlimited laundry through Ships Services for our upcoming 21 day Baltic and Norway cruise on the Koningsdam. It was $7 per day and it came through on our credit card that way, so I have evidence :). Based on everything I've read on Cruise Critic, I think it's accurate that if you book before you leave it's $7 per day and if you book onboard a European cruise, it's $9 a day.

We are sailing in July

$30 a bag on Zuiderdam Northern Europe last week.

Doing the 16 day TA Rome to Ft. Lauderdale on Koningsdam. Trying to wrap my head around that much time with no washer.

Please estimate how much goes in the bag -- like 2 pants, 4 tee shirts, underwear for 6 days -- what is your experiences?

Thanks!

Just got back from K'dam to Norway, price on board was $30 /bag and $9/day for unlimited. As we need both dry cleaning as well as laundry so used per bag service and total worked out to be less than with unlimited. You can stuff a lot in a bag.

IMG_1508.jpg.f068fc775e34097f53bf25e7d8938fd6.jpg

Please estimate how much goes in the bag -- like 2 pants, 4 tee shirts, underwear for 6 days -- what is your experiences?

I know I've gotten 5 daytime dresses, plus undies, in a bag. I may have gotten as many as 7, but can't remember for sure.

I called ship services two days ago to pre order unlimited laundry for our European cruise in October/November. I was told that HAL is no longer pre booking unlimited laundry for European cruises except when you are onboard. I asked why, and was told that those who have already booked at $7 per day for a European cruise would be billed the additional cost when onboard. I suggested to rep that this might not be received well but there was no reply. I followed up with another call and was told the same information by another rep who checked into it before replying to me. The only way you can receive unlimited laundry or laundry by the bag on a European cruise is to wait till you are onboard to order it. Our cruise starts October 21 - November 18. I guess the only way to cover the cost of unlimited laundry prior to boarding would be to buy OBC ahead of time and then must order it on the first day of the cruise when you give them your laundry. The rep did say that there should be a mention of this coming soon to the web site. The rep could not confirm cost per day but indicated eith $9-$10 per day.

I read on another CC site that the Europe unlimited price is $9/day x the number of days on your cruise and that sounds right from my hazy recollection; we figured the per bag rate was best for us on a 16 day cruise where we needed only 3 bags for the whole trip after a 4 night precruise stay in Rome.

Whoever you spoke to at HAL quoted you the prices for laundry on Caribbean/East and West Coast cruises....Europe is more as others can attest on this CC site.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2223960

I don't know how you got by with only 3 bags on a 16 day cruise. With underwear and nice clothes for dinner, there's no way we could possibly fit that much in the (Shoebag sized) laundry bags. We average almost a bag a day. Of course, We separate light and dark colors.

Scott & Karen

(

I don't know how you got by with only 3 bags on a 16 day cruise. With underwear and nice clothes for dinner, there's no way we could possibly fit that much in the (Shoebag sized) laundry bags. We average almost a bag a day. Of course, We separate light and dark colors.

Scott & Karen

Welllll............one this particular cruise which was our 24th, we (giving my wife equal credit) made ONE little error in packing.

When we got to Rome after our flight, I wanted to change my pants................THEN we discovered that the only other pants that had been packed for me was my suit pants...........you can imagine the effort to look through all of our bags again.......but no, none, nada.

What I had on was what I had for the trip!!! Not quite as bad as losing a passport but still not a great finding at the start of your trip. In Naples several days later, I asked the owner of the restaurant we were eating at where I could buy some pants and he took me next door where I got a great "family" discount. Italian wool pants for 20E vs. 40 on tag..........but no tailoring to shorten the pant legs which were about 12 inches too long!!!!.

Wife is a good seamstress and fortunately we had those little mending kits for travel that had just enough..... and she stressed that last word several times.....dark thread for both legs.

There's a few more bits to the continuing pants story but I save those additional details for dinner stories on slow sea days....and the experience never fails to get many chuckles.

So you see I did a lot to reduce laundry load as I only had 1 pair of pants to cycle into the bags which on further recollection may have totaled 4 bags rather than 3 I stated.......

PS: rolling your clothes helps get EVEN MORE stuff into that bag than you would imagine. I also wonder if HAL laundry separates clothes by color as you do...............some posts I have read indicate that they got back interesting pink(ish) underwear that started out white.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

• 1 month later...

Called today - twice - with long hold times.

Shaun was very aware of the difference in cost and that people were posting on Cruise Critic to call ahead. he wouldn't do it. When asked to be transferred he hung up on me. He says the ships are complaining that they have to go to the stateroom and add the $2 per day surcharge. This is clearly a hot button for them, and frankly now for me. Like someone else said on the forums the pre-cruise customer service is a good indication of what you will get on-board. I hope this frustrating experience doesn't taint my perception on board. I just want to get these details/hassles out of the way now, and have a good time on vacation.

On hold for a 2nd try.