M. S. Koningsdam's Library: A reply from a Special Advisor, Office of the President

rkacruiser

"While we understand your concerns regarding the books not making it to the MS Koningsdam please note that in the end the type of library slated for this ship now differs from those of the rest of our fleet and as such would not have need for many of the fiction and non-fiction novels that may have been found on the MS Ryndam or MS Statendam. Regarding your inquiry as to what did happen to those books, we do wish to inform you that they were either dispersed to other ships in the fleet that the books would find use, or they were donated to charities as we were able. We hope this information is found useful and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to assist."

As a bit of background for the above post: I e-mailed Seattle concerning the seeming lack of an adequate library on HAL's newbuild. As the Statendam approached Singapore in October, the Library person and the On Location Guide were busy boxing books from the Statendam's library to be landed at Singapore. I was told they would be stored until the Amsterdam arrived during the Winter, loaded and taken to Italy. When the Koningsdam and the Amsterdam then met in Italy, the books were to be placed aboard the Koningsdam. I assumed the same type of situation would exist for the Ryndam's books.

I surely appreciate the gentleman's response to my inquiry. It obviously was not a "canned" message. I think my effort does show that "someone" in Seattle on West Elliott Avenue does "hear" us when we have concerns.

Whether we receive the desired response, well, that clearly is another matter.

Edited by rkacruiser

Hummm. At least we can say that the president's message was clear. Not what I want to hear, especially if it portends other changes in direction that are just as disappointing. But clear.

This is not the HAL I've known for so many happy decades. :(

Hello

I sailed on HAL for years but no more. If you want really fabulous libraries with actual librarians sail with Cunard. Simple.

Deck Chair

Somewhat agree - but would amend in that I would not sail on the Koningsdam as most other HAL ships still have their libraries - which hopefully will stay!

getting to be just like any other cruise line. I can get Norwegian right at my front door; why go to Ft. Laud.

Maybe they figure their clientele will die off soon and therefore, getting ready for the next generation. They won't need bands and chamber music as they will be having hearing problems and will be reading electronic devices.

"While we understand your concerns regarding the books not making it to the MS Koningsdam please note that in the end the type of library slated for this ship now differs from those of the rest of our fleet and as such would not have need for many of the fiction and non-fiction novels that may have been found on the MS Ryndam or MS Statendam. Regarding your inquiry as to what did happen to those books, we do wish to inform you that they were either dispersed to other ships in the fleet that the books would find use, or they were donated to charities as we were able. We hope this information is found useful and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to assist."

so it's going to be a "library" without need for fiction and non fiction novels....

clear as mud

Unless a library is dedicated to something specific - say law or medical - it darn well should include fiction and non-fiction. Yes, I like my kindle and will use it, but have always enjoyed browsing the shelves and picking up something additional that strikes my fancy. I got a kick out of a poster who said something along the lines of "why can't they bring their own book" as if ONE book would suffice for a real reader, who might read a book a day. We will be on a 49 day trip and each of us will need a couple of dozen books!

You can find libraries on many new ships... like NORWEGIAN GEM and also the new CARNIVAL VISTA. On the Carnival ship you can get drink as well... as in 'bar'. Some of the earlier ships with library are 'self service' bar for a brandy with a book after dinner.

I think HAL has missed the point, I'm afraid. A library is a library. Not just a 'shopping list' for shore excursions.

746392111_ccl_librarybar.jpgcarnivalvista.jpg.4891213c7937434c896592a4e93a5b0b.jpg

803176788_image001.jpgcarnivalvistalibrary.jpg.842eb5e2e5e520f350cf0203acd85d0d.jpg

778524844_carnivalbreezeLibraryBar(18)(Large).jpg.3686a76901721db210d959ed5897bc0b.jpg

I must say that I'm surprised by the number of people who say they won't cruise on the K'dam, and presumably any future HAL ships, because of the lack of a traditional library. There are so many factors upon which to base a decision on this ship or that cruise, but the size or nature of a ship's library collection has never entered my mind as a criterion. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it isn't a valid issue, just not one that resonates for me personally.

I must say that I'm surprised by the number of people who say they won't cruise on the K'dam, and presumably any future HAL ships, because of the lack of a traditional library. There are so many factors upon which to base a decision on this ship or that cruise, but the size or nature of a ship's library collection has never entered my mind as a criterion. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it isn't a valid issue, just not one that resonates for me personally.

Considering the library is almost always virtually empty when I've seen it on my HAL cruises I find it interesting as well.

Possibly will be an "electronic library". Passengers would check out books on their tablets or e-readers.

Personally, I'd rather use my tablet than books that have been coughed on, sneezed on, etc. I remember a guy a few cruises back that checked out several books to take to his stateroom because he was sick and didn't want to expose a lot of people.

I work very hard at staying healthy on board and would hate to get sick from a book someone just returned. There is a reason they close down the libraries when the ship goes into code red.

Several cruises ago, before I developed my e-reader addiction, and when I still toted around several pounds of paperbacks, I met a fellow pax on the first day of a 21 day cruise who boasted about the convenience of her e-reader and derided me for still reading actual books. Unfortunately, she dropped her e-reader on the second day and broke the screen. Thereafter, I passed my much maligned paperbacks on to her as I finished them.

I have to admit that now I nervously think of her each time I download my stash of books (35 for my last trip) in preparation for a cruise. Fortunately, my book anxiety has always been eased by the knowledge that onboard libraries exist on HAL ships.

I will approach my future 66 day odyssey on the Koningsdam with trepidation.

Several cruises ago, before I developed my e-reader addiction, and when I still toted around several pounds of paperbacks, I met a fellow pax on the first day of a 21 day cruise who boasted about the convenience of her e-reader and derided me for still reading actual books. Unfortunately, she dropped her e-reader on the second day and broke the screen. Thereafter, I passed my much maligned paperbacks on to her as I finished them.

Funny story -- things do happen. I dropped my first Kindle in Pompeii and broke it. (You know those lovely roads made of rocks....?). My second one got broken in an airplane seat pocket when the huge guy in front of me decided to do gymnastics in his seat, causing it to flex alarmingly.

You just have to be creative. In the first case I had a number of paper notes with me and could buy another guidebook at Pompeii. In the second case, I quickly bought 3 paperbacks at the airport between flights to tide me over, then figured out where to find an English-language bookstore in Rome.

Considering the library is almost always virtually empty when I've seen it on my HAL cruises I find it interesting as well.

Every Holland cruise i have ever done the library is one of the busiest places on the ship...especially sea days. Hard to find a seat. Maybe empty on port days or at night but certainly not during daytime that i have ever seen.