Should I book onboard?

barante

I'm sure this topic has been exhausted, but when looking at prices at a cruise I'm interested in booking in another year, I see better offer from Internet agencies. It would take quite a lot of onboard credit to make up for that difference.

Views? Suggestions?

We'll be on a HAL cruise in December. But I am interested in a specific cabin (there are two) and need to act as soon as bookings open.

Agree with Rocketman's recommendation to book while on board, then have the listing moved to your TA or an online agency. If you originally booked thru a TA, when you talk with the future cruise person, they will ask if you want the listing under that TA - a really nice feature.

You can book on board and then transfer to the internet agency for the credit. You may get a slightly better choice of cabins on board. You will also get double the booking credit for booking on board.

Agree with Rocketman's recommendation to book while on board, then have the listing moved to your TA or an online agency. If you originally booked thru a TA, when you talk with the future cruise person, they will ask if you want the listing under that TA - a really nice feature.

Agree & agree again. We almost always book our next cruise while on board so that we have the best chance of getting the specific stateroom we want on that cruise.

I always purchase a couple of Future Cruise Deposits on my cruise. You have 4 years to use them and they give you On Board Credit for buying them (plus reduced deposits of only $100 for most cruises). Then I wait about 3-6 weeks after I get home to receive the "thank you for sailing with us" email from HAL, which doubles the OBC.

This way I can book from home after my cruise plus having an extra one or two is a good idea, so you do not have to wait until your next cruise to book.

I always purchase a couple of Future Cruise Deposits on my cruise. You have 4 years to use them and they give you On Board Credit for buying them (plus reduced deposits of only $100 for most cruises). Then I wait about 3-6 weeks after I get home to receive the "thank you for sailing with us" email from HAL, which doubles the OBC.

This way I can book from home after my cruise plus having an extra one or two is a good idea, so you do not have to wait until your next cruise to book.

Learned a couple of things when I booked with a PCC this last week.

First, i got the 'doubled' OBC when I booked on board last March. The PCC said the reason I got the doubled OBC was that the onboard consultant applied the ZPM, thank you, bonus.

Second, the PCC also gave me the ZPM, thank you, bonus when I booked a new cruise with her. My ZPM had expired in May. I couldn't use it then because the new batch of cruises were not released then.

Evidently, the cruise consultants, personal and on-board, can give you the double ZPM bonus any time they want to.

Edited by RocketMan275

First, i got the 'doubled' OBC when I booked on board last March. The PCC said the reason I got the doubled OBC was that the onboard consultant applied the ZPM, thank you, bonus.

Second, the PCC also gave me the ZPM, thank you, bonus when I booked a new cruise with her. My ZPM had expired in May. I couldn't use it then because the new batch of cruises were not released then.

Evidently, the cruise consultants, personal and on-board, can give you the double ZPM bonus any time they want to.

My experience with my PCC has been that sometimes I can get the ZPM bonus promotion after the expiration date, while other times I cannot. I think it depends on how long it was since the expiration, but I do not know for certain.

I'm sure this topic has been exhausted, but when looking at prices at a cruise I'm interested in booking in another year, I see better offer from Internet agencies. It would take quite a lot of onboard credit to make up for that difference.

Views? Suggestions?

We'll be on a HAL cruise in December. But I am interested in a specific cabin (there are two) and need to act as soon as bookings open.

The advantages are: 1) A $100 pp. down payment, as opposed to a normally much higher deposit. Of course, a Grand Voyage or long cruise might require a higher deposit; 2) the ability to transfer the booking and FCC to an internet agency and get their OBC's, as well. HAL's OBC will transfer along with the FCC; 3) Getting the specific cabin that you want, but you may be able to do that if you get the FCC and immediately sign up with an internet agency for the specific cabin. Offhand, I can't think of any reason not to book an FCC.

My experience with my PCC has been that sometimes I can get the ZPM bonus promotion after the expiration date, while other times I cannot. I think it depends on how long it was since the expiration, but I do not know for certain.

That could be.

My cruise was in March.

The ZPM expired in May.

Received the ZPM last week.

Or, Holland can hold the booking for you. I use two different TA. I had Holland hold the booking while I found which would provide the better deal.

What exactly is a ZPM? Thanks!

What exactly is a ZPM? Thanks!

Note below ZPM in my "standard" response to booking onboard.

Booking a future cruise while onboard can be a cost saving tool, but there are several things to consider:

First, you should do your homework and know what your future cruise pricing and current promotions are on Holland America’s (HAL) website. Its easy to do but be sure you know the exact cabin categories you are considering (and their prices/promotions). Be careful though, as promotions can vary in amount by cabin category.

Second, add to your pricing homework the on board credit (OBC) you would earn if you purchased a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) while on board (you get this from the future cruise consultant). The FCD requires that you put $100 down (for cruises up to 21 days) as your deposit for a future cruise (good deal by itself), but this deposit is fully refundable if you do not use it in 4 years. Further, the FCD earns you OBC, in an amount that depends on your cabin category and length of cruise as follows (example for 21 days or shorter cruises) per person:

Interior & Oceanview Cabins - $25 for up to 10 days, $50 for 11-21 day cruises.

Veranda Cabins - $50 for up to 10 days, $75 for 11-21 day cruises.

Suites (Vista/Signature/Neptune) - $50 for up to 10 days, $100 for 11-21 days.

BONUS – HAL will normally send you a “Thank you for sailing with us” email within 2 weeks of your cruise ending. This email will offer to DOUBLE the above OBC if you book within 2 months of receiving the email. Even if you do not get this email, just tell your travel agent to use promotion ZPM and you will get the double amount, as sometimes emails do not get through, so everyone qualifies.

Third, add these two OBC amounts to HAL’s website pricing (or your own travel agent’s) and take it to the onboard future cruise consultant and see if he/she can beat that price/promotion. In most cases they cannot, so just thank them and book when you get home.

NOTE: when comparing prices, be sure to include all extras (free drink packages, free internet, free specialty dining, etc.) in your numbers.

Note below ZPM in my "standard" response to booking onboard.

Booking a future cruise while onboard can be a cost saving tool, but there are several things to consider:

First, you should do your homework and know what your future cruise pricing and current promotions are on Holland America’s (HAL) website. Its easy to do but be sure you know the exact cabin categories you are considering (and their prices/promotions). Be careful though, as promotions can vary in amount by cabin category.

Second, add to your pricing homework the on board credit (OBC) you would earn if you purchased a Future Cruise Deposit (FCD) while on board (you get this from the future cruise consultant). The FCD requires that you put $100 down (for cruises up to 21 days) as your deposit for a future cruise (good deal by itself), but this deposit is fully refundable if you do not use it in 4 years. Further, the FCD earns you OBC, in an amount that depends on your cabin category and length of cruise as follows (example for 21 days or shorter cruises) per person:

Interior & Oceanview Cabins - $25 for up to 10 days, $50 for 11-21 day cruises.

Veranda Cabins - $50 for up to 10 days, $75 for 11-21 day cruises.

Suites (Vista/Signature/Neptune) - $50 for up to 10 days, $100 for 11-21 days.

BONUS – HAL will normally send you a “Thank you for sailing with us” email within 2 weeks of your cruise ending. This email will offer to DOUBLE the above OBC if you book within 2 months of receiving the email. Even if you do not get this email, just tell your travel agent to use promotion ZPM and you will get the double amount, as sometimes emails do not get through, so everyone qualifies.

Third, add these two OBC amounts to HAL’s website pricing (or your own travel agent’s) and take it to the onboard future cruise consultant and see if he/she can beat that price/promotion. In most cases they cannot, so just thank them and book when you get home.

NOTE: when comparing prices, be sure to include all extras (free drink packages, free internet, free specialty dining, etc.) in your numbers.

My Future Cruise Deposit paid in August 2011 is NOT refundable, but Princess's is. Fortunately, because I booked (and cancelled) several HAL cruises beyond the expiration date, I was still able to apply the $100 to a March 2017 cruise. I didn't think I would be able to use it, because the new cruise was booked with a different agency than the one I thought held my reservation. Since others here have mentioned booking onboard and THEN transferring the reservation to a travel agent - does HAL NOT automatically assign it to the agency on record - unless you specify someone else?

While the $100 deposit is nice, the paltry $25 OBC is not worth my booking onboard again - even if it is doubled. I also don't like having future cruise bookings hanging over my head.

... Since others here have mentioned booking onboard and THEN transferring the reservation to a travel agent - does HAL NOT automatically assign it to the agency on record - unless you specify someone else?

Yes, HAL will automatically assign the booking to the agency on record...Unless you instruct them not to do so. They will then keep it. And you can shop around for the best deal.

Scott & Karen

My Future Cruise Deposit paid in August 2011 is NOT refundable, but Princess's is. Fortunately, because I booked (and cancelled) several HAL cruises beyond the expiration date, I was still able to apply the $100 to a March 2017 cruise. I didn't think I would be able to use it, because the new cruise was booked with a different agency than the one I thought held my reservation. Since others here have mentioned booking onboard and THEN transferring the reservation to a travel agent - does HAL NOT automatically assign it to the agency on record - unless you specify someone else?

While the $100 deposit is nice, the paltry $25 OBC is not worth my booking onboard again - even if it is doubled. I also don't like having future cruise bookings hanging over my head.

HAL has changed their policy. After 4 years if you do not book they send you the $100 back as a full refund.

Also, the amount of OBC depends on the length of cruise and cabin category. On our 11 day it ended up being $200 per person as we got the double up email offer I mentioned in a previous post. Definitely worth it IMO.

And yes, unless you tell them otherwise the future cruise deposit is assigned to the TA you booked the current cruise with, so just tell them to keep it unassigned.

Edited by DaveOKC

I'm confused. People are talking about both specific cruises booked on board and FCCs bought on board. Does either offer more perks than the other? I'm thinking about booking a cruise on board, and wondering if I should book the cruise I have in mind or just the FCC and think about it a bit more (and wait for the doubleoffer).

Sorry, but I'm still not sure what ZPM is. Is this the bonus OBC you get from booking after you return home and receive the "thank you..." email?

Yes, it is ;)

I'm confused. People are talking about both specific cruises booked on board and FCCs bought on board. Does either offer more perks than the other? I'm thinking about booking a cruise on board, and wondering if I should book the cruise I have in mind or just the FCC and think about it a bit more (and wait for the doubleoffer).

Holland America Line Future Cruise Deposit Program

Deposit Amount: Based upon length of cruise

•3 to 10 days $100

•11 to 21 days $250

•22 to 50 days $500

•51 days and greater $1,000

Benefits of Holland America’s Future Cruise Deposit:

•Enjoy up to $200 Onboard Credit per person to apply on future booking - 3-10 Days: $25 for Inside/Oceanview, $50 Balcony and Suites; 11-21 Days: $50 for Inside/Oceanview, $75 Balcony and $100 Suite; 22-50 Days: $100 for Inside/Oceanview, $150 Balcony and Suites; 51+ Days: $150 for Inside/Oceanview, $200 Balcony and Suites

•Just book within 4 Years from the date of purchase to use

•Enjoy a wider selection of stateroom, suite and itinerary availability

•Select ship and sail date onboard, or choose later – no additional deposit required

Restrictions of Holland America’s Future Cruise Deposit:

•Not applicable for Grand World Voyage, Grand Voyages or segments thereof

•Non-refundable for cash but applicable to another booking up to four (4) years from date of purchase

•May not be combinable with all promotional offers

On my May/16 cruise, there was no difference to booking on board or purchasing FCDs. For cruises purchased onboard, one received double the OBC. When I questioned the FCC about that promotion and told her that I usually purchase FCDs, and waited for the ZPM offer, she told me that the onboard booking bonus was the ZPM offer. So, check with the FCC to see what promotional deals are offered and compare. If it's the same as I experienced above, then, if you have the time, book onboard as you planned.

Sorry, but I'm still not sure what ZPM is. Is this the bonus OBC you get from booking after you return home and receive the "thank you..." email?

It is the offer code of the thank you for sailing email. It is very common and almost all the time you can get it added to your reservation, even if you do not get the email, as long as you are within the 60 days time limit (from your sailing).