Nieuw Amsterdam Cabin Doors

retdon

Someone who has been on the Nieuw Amsterdam recently please answer this question, Are the cabin doors metal that a magnet will stick to?????? If you have not been on NA, please do not answer, I am aware of other ships. :confused:

Traveling with a group who want to decorate the cabin doors. We know the rules about using tape, etc. and want to abide by them.

I have not found any ship's doors to be good at holding magnets. That goes for HAL, Princess and MSC and yes, twice on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

What rule about tape? Our charters have lots of door decorating and I have not had any issues with tape, including duct tape. I prefer to use 3M Command strips as it comes off easily and clean.

The rules are stated explicitly for our charters: you may decorate as long as it does not cause any obstructions and your are responsible for cleaning it all up at the end of the cruise. You are responsible for any damage to the ship.

The door frame, he mail box and the bulkheads around the door are much better at holding magnets.

Edited by Boytjie

Do you really think you can pick and choose who you will deign to allow to answer your questions???

Dave you are an experienced poster and know that some folks answer any question even if they have not been on, in or experienced the ship. Just did not want to clutter up the issue. Thanks for you remarks.:o

Yes, the doors will hold magnets, depending on their strength. A lot of "decorative" magnets are cheap and have little holding power, while better quality rare-earth magnets will hold very well on the doors. We bring several magnetic hooks that we use on cruises and usually have one on the door.

FWIW, I've never seen any HAL rules prohibiting tape. There are lots of tapes that will not damage the doors.

We haven't sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam since February 2015. Hope that's recent enough! ;)

Yes, the doors will hold magnets, depending on their strength. A lot of "decorative" magnets are cheap and have little holding power, while better quality rare-earth magnets will hold very well on the doors. We bring several magnetic hooks that we use on cruises and usually have one on the door.

FWIW, I've never seen any HAL rules prohibiting tape. There are lots of tapes that will not damage the doors.

We haven't sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam since February 2015. Hope that's recent enough! ;)

Your mention of Rare-earth magnets makes me wonder if they will hold on cabin walls & come off without damaging the walls? :)

If not where to you use them in HAL cabins.. For the next cruise we booked a veranda cabin & space will be at a premium for some of my things which could be hung up.. LOL Thanks..

Retdon, I normally put something, such as our Dogs picture, on our door to help DH find our cabin.. I've been able to use the removable mounting poster tack which is pliable & it always comes off without damaging the door.. Be sure to knead it well.. I take it with me all the time & it's not expensive..Have used it for years..

You can get it at any office supply store & also Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Removable-Mounting-Poster-1436912/dp/B000BQMFEC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469572826&sr=8-2&keywords=poster+tack

Edited by serendipity1499

Someone who has been on the Nieuw Amsterdam recently please answer this question, Are the cabin doors metal that a magnet will stick to?????? If you have not been on NA, please do not answer, I am aware of other ships. :confused:

Traveling with a group who want to decorate the cabin doors. We know the rules about using tape, etc. and want to abide by them.

We always use the 3M products that can easily be removed with zero damage. Never sure if the doors will hold magnets or anything inside the SR as we like to decorate for holiday's also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your mention of Rare-earth magnets makes me wonder if they will hold on cabin walls & come off without damaging the walls? :)

If not where to you use them in HAL cabins.. For the next cruise we booked a veranda cabin & space will be at a premium for some of my things which could be hung up.. LOL Thanks.

No need to worry, I've used them on walls and doors with no issue. :) I use them on our stainless steel fridge with never a scratch, and we've used one on our front door for years to hold a Christmas wreath without marking it.

For cruising I use the largest of the hooks shown here: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=73796&cat=1,43326 . Note that the strength of these magnets range from 11 lbs to 26.5 lbs.

Edited by Fouremco

No need to worry, I've used them on walls and doors with no issue. :) I use them on our stainless steel fridge with never a scratch, and we've used one on our front door for years to hold a Christmas wreath without marking it.

For cruising I use the largest of the hooks shown here: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=73796&cat=1,43326 . Note that the strength of these magnets range from 11 lbs to 26.5 lbs.

Thank you so much for replying...:)

Found some at Amazon, but did not order them..Will look into the ones on this WEB site too..

You gave me an idea.. Our front door ito our Condo is metal & I hang our wreath on a small screw which the previous owner had put there..I've been trying to figure out how to put a small wreath on the inside too but did not want to put a nail or screw in the door..Now I'll get those hooks & use them..

... I use them on our stainless steel fridge with never a scratch ...

Your comment concerning stainless steel caught my attention, as stainless steel appliances in the US are definitely non-magnetic ... or have been mislabeled as "stainless steel". :( Do Canadian appliance manufacturers use stainless steel that does not have a nickel alloy? Or is the Canadian stainless steel manufacturing process different than in the US?

According to some online "experts" (and we all know how reliable they are!): "Only some stainless steel is magnetic and can be magnetized. The composition of stainless steel varies, and any stainless steel with nickel in it is difficult to magnetize, although cold-rolling it, stretching it or stressing it in other ways does increase its magnetic potential. Series 200 and 400 stainless steel do not have nickel, are naturally magnetic and can be magnetized. Using simple methods of magnetizing metal produces only a temporary magnet. To permanently magnetize something, you need a large alternating-current magnetic coil, which is not generally available in most homes."

I am not looking to pick a fight (as I have the highest regard for you, Fouremco, and your opinions. I am just very curious. Perhaps some of our Metalurgist CCers can weigh in on this matter.

Edited by avian777

Your comment concerning stainless steel caught my attention, as stainless steel appliances in the US are definitely non-magnetic ... or have been mislabeled as "stainless steel". :( Do Canadian appliance manufacturers use stainless steel that does not have a nickel alloy? Or is the Canadian stainless steel manufacturing process different than in the US?

According to some online "experts" (and we all know how reliable they are!): "Only some stainless steel is magnetic and can be magnetized. The composition of stainless steel varies, and any stainless steel with nickel in it is difficult to magnetize, although cold-rolling it, stretching it or stressing it in other ways does increase its magnetic potential. Series 200 and 400 stainless steel do not have nickel, are naturally magnetic and can be magnetized. Using simple methods of magnetizing metal produces only a temporary magnet. To permanently magnetize something, you need a large alternating-current magnetic coil, which is not generally available in most homes."

I am not looking to pick a fight (as I have the highest regard for you, Fouremco, and your opinions. I am just very curious. Perhaps some of our Metalurgist CCers can weigh in on this matter.

Most "Stainless Steel" used in the food manufacturing industry in the U.S. is magnetic to some degree.

If not where to you use them in HAL cabins.. For the next cruise we booked a veranda cabin & space will be at a premium for some of my things which could be hung up.. LOL Thanks..

Retdon, I normally put something, such as our Dogs picture, on our door to help DH find our cabin.. I've been able to use the removable mounting poster tack which is pliable & it always comes off without damaging the door.. Be sure to knead it well.. I take it with me all the time & it's not expensive..Have used it for years..

You can get it at any office supply store & also Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Removable-Mounting-Poster-1436912/dp/B000BQMFEC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469572826&sr=8-2&keywords=poster+tack

thanks for all the ideas, I have used the Scotch removable stickers before and found 2 pkgs. tucked away, YEA......

I know I can always count on my CC pals, thanks to all of you. Linda:D

After reading your post, I was naturally curious and headed to the kitchen for a bit of experimentation. Our stainless steel (ss) fridge has multiple magnets on it, as it is a grandparent's duty to display the artistic endeavours of grandchildren. All of our kitchen appliances are ss, so while my DW watched with growing concern, I walked around the room attaching magnets to everything, large appliances and small alike, even the cappuccino maker. The only thing that didn't want to provide a strong bond was the kitchen sink. Our major appliances are made by Bosch, Maytag and Whirlpool, and I doubt that they are made of a different steel than their US counterparts.

Having concluded my experiment in the kitchen, and having brewed myself a coffee while I was at it, I returned to my computer and quickly found an excellent 2006 article in the Scientific American (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-dont-magnets-work-on/), which can be summarized as follows:

There are several different types of stainless steels. The two main types are austenitic and ferritic, each of which exhibits a different atomic arrangement. Due to this difference, ferritic stainless steels are generally magnetic while austenitic stainless steels usually are not.

So, thank you Avian777 for your post. A day when I don't learn something new is a wasted day, but now I know something new about magnetism and the related properties of stainless steel. :)

... So, thank you Avian777 for your post. A day when I don't learn something new is a wasted day, but now I know something new about magnetism and the related properties of stainless steel. :)

Like you, Fouremco, I have always striven to learn something new every day. So thank you for reminding me of the need to do that each day.

FWIW our ss range hood is the only one of our GE "Profile" and "Monogram" kitchen appliances that is magnetic, so I have concluded that the range hood must be made of ferritic stainless steel, while our other appliances must be made of austenitic stainless steels.

Thanks again for your informative, thoughtful and kind reply.

Smooth sailing ...

Edited by avian777

After reading your post, I was naturally curious and headed to the kitchen for a bit of experimentation. Our stainless steel (ss) fridge has multiple magnets on it, as it is a grandparent's duty to display the artistic endeavours of grandchildren. All of our kitchen appliances are ss, so while my DW watched with growing concern, I walked around the room attaching magnets to everything, large appliances and small alike, even the cappuccino maker. The only thing that didn't want to provide a strong bond was the kitchen sink. Our major appliances are made by Bosch, Maytag and Whirlpool, and I doubt that they are made of a different steel than their US counterparts.

Having concluded my experiment in the kitchen, and having brewed myself a coffee while I was at it, I returned to my computer and quickly found an excellent 2006 article in the Scientific American (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-dont-magnets-work-on/), which can be summarized as follows:

So, thank you Avian777 for your post. A day when I don't learn something new is a wasted day, but now I know something new about magnetism and the related properties of stainless steel. :)

Had quite a laugh at your post..!!!:D

I thought I was the only one who checked the appliances to see if they are magnetic..;) My black refrig is Magnetic & so is my black dishwasher.. Keurig Coffee Pot, stove, & microwave (range hood) are not.. Also checked our front door & can put a magnet on it too.. So will order a couple of those hooks to use in both our cabin & our front door..

Edited by serendipity1499

Are you on Malt Shop cruise? This will be my fourth Malt Shop cruise and I have decorated the door each year. Just be careful not to damage it and you need to remove the decorations yourself the morning you return. You can use magnets. I used heavy duty gorilla tape because i had heavy stuff to hang. I also decorated on the walls close to my door.

Happy decorating

Maryjo