Dipping my toe in the HAL pool - advice on ships

slidergirl

I have a chance to do one of the "quickie" repositions in September down from Vancouver to Southern California. I really enjoy these trips as it is a good way for me to visit Vancouver for a few days, then just relax and not do anything but sleep, eat, and, if the weather is good, sit outside and read. I've done these on Princess (yawn), and NCL (I actually enjoyed this one for relaxation). Now, HAL has one still available on the Amsterdam to San Diego.

What would HAL offer that Princess or NCL would not offer? I'm in the HAL target demographic (over 50). I'm a solo traveler, so I do NOT like fixed dining with strangers. I'm not a red meat eater, so I get bored easily with the usual pasta entree that is offered every night. I don't do entertainment, but I do like to have a glass of good wine or a high-end sipping vodka or rum at a quiet bar at the end of the evening. I'm absolutely NOT one who will lug along formal wear, but I bring a nice Little Black Dress if I must. What does the Amsterdam offer for relaxing outside on the deck (I'll go cheap and get an inside)?

The other HAL just sold out overnight (Noordam), so it would have to be the Amsterdam.

Any positives/negatives will help me make a decision. TIA!

Edited by slidergirl

I have a chance to do one of the "quickie" repositions in September down from Vancouver to Southern California. I really enjoy these trips as it is a good way for me to visit Vancouver for a few days, then just relax and not do anything but sleep, eat, and, if the weather is good, sit outside and read. I've done these on Princess (yawn), and NCL (I actually enjoyed this one for relaxation). Now, HAL has one still available on the Amsterdam to San Diego.

What would HAL offer that Princess or NCL would not offer? I'm in the HAL target demographic (over 50). I'm a solo traveler, so I do NOT like fixed dining with strangers. I'm not a red meat eater, so I get bored easily with the usual pasta entree that is offered every night. I don't do entertainment, but I do like to have a glass of good wine or a high-end sipping vodka or rum at a quiet bar at the end of the evening. I'm absolutely NOT one who will lug along formal wear, but I bring a nice Little Black Dress if I must. What does the Amsterdam offer for relaxing outside on the deck (I'll go cheap and get an inside)?

The other HAL just sold out overnight (Noordam), so it would have to be the Amsterdam.

Lots of questions, so I will do my best to help. First however, please do not judge HAL on the basis of a short Coastal repositioning cruise. I have found these cruises to be pleasant and fun, but often things are not up to HAL's normal standard (I think they are hard on the crew for several reason).

You should request Open dining to avoid being at a Fixed time and table. I have found this to work out well if you are the type of person who can easily communicate with strangers. Basically, you can dine at whatever time you want and you can sit by self or with others.

I have found the food on HAL to be good and they offer a various types of entrees at every meal. Plus they have two specialty dining venues for a very reasonable charge.

Entertainment on HAL is "OK", but is nothing special. There are plenty of bars that you can enjoy a quiet drink.

I doubt that you will have a "formal" (now called Gala) night on your Coastal cruise. Even if you do the dress code is business causal (or better of course).

All of HAL's ships have a nice deck which goes all the way around the ship. On it you will find deck chairs to relax on. One very nice feature of HAL.

From the sound of your post, I think that you will really enjoy cruising on HAL. IMO, the best feature is the wonderful crew and staff in all areas (even on shore). They are always so positive and helpful!

In short, "try it, you will like it".

Don't forget HAL offers very good room service if you also want to take any solo meals throughout the day in your room. HAL passengers tend to be more self-contained, and many use the large library room for reading and quiet entertainment. On some longer cruises, it looks like Kindle City!

There are many quiet nooks for privacy and views of the passing ocean, both inside and outside. The Amsterdam is one of the smaller HAL ships so you can explore it easily on your own and find what works best for you very quickly. And then you will be off the ship.

Be sure to check out all the aft decks, even on the lower cabin decks which offer wonderful rear facing ocean wake views. Plus the 360 promenade deck offers a wonderful opportunity to be out and about and even greet fellow passing passengers as you do your rounds.

Agree, these short cruise do stress the staff because of the quick turnover in passengers. They are used to longer cruises where they enjoy getting to know the passengers and quickly consider their individual preferences. But in this case when the passengers are on and off so quickly, it will just be a different experience.

I think you will like the "non-red meat" offerings HAL presents, including their straight vegetarian which has become very creative. They explore some of the "grains" as a base which adds a nice change in texture. Plus the new salad bar with the big bowls and the "asian" broth bowls were a big hit on our last cruise on the Amsterdam.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

Edited by OlsSalt

Having done quite a few of these Coastal repos (in both directions), I fully know that it isn't the full-blown experience one would get on a "normal" cruise. Appreciate the warnings, though, as they may help a future cruiser on one of these short sailings.

I'm in the hospitality business, so I know the stresses that can be put on staff when you have a short turnaround on facilities. Fortunately, I'm low maintenance - they can skip my cabin the entire trip to make time for others. In fact, I do this at hotels all the time when they offer points or food credits for skipping housekeeping. All I require is a room that is not falling apart, someone to keep the pool towels in stock, someone to pour a glass of wine (or vodka or rum straight up), someone clear the dishes off of the buffet room tables. Oh, and someone who knows how to safely get the ship from A to B!

Good to hear that I may have more food options and do not have to do assigned seating. I'm on a short cruise to relax, and having to make chit chat with strangers at the dinner table is NOT on my list of relaxing activities. I went to the buffet many times on NCL and Princess as I could make my own entree salads after looking at the dinner menu each night and finding the non-meat choices seriously lacking in diversity. I abhor those cold soups (unless it is gazpacho), as they are seriously overloaded with cream and calories. If I want something cold with fruit, I'll take a smoothie ;) As for the bread pudding, it's a weakness of mine...

Gala night is less formal, but still sparkle. Easy to pack a glittery top over dark/light pants and some accessories, if you don't want to wear your little black dress. But it is part of the fun to make these nights a little more special and celebrate being on this lovely, more traditional ship.

And yes, have the cold soups - many of us even order them for dessert when they offer the chilled fruit ones.

Though the best one I had was the "nutmeg" cold soup when we were doing the first Indonesia cruise - it was very fresh nutmeg on that Spice Islands cruise then and has never been so hauntingly delicious.

I swear the chef must have snuck in some local provisions and not used the powdered stuff sent down from Seattle. Or maybe my tastebuds had been seduced by the whole effect of that entire wonderful cruise, :cool:

Having done quite a few of these Coastal repos (in both directions), I fully know that it isn't the full-blown experience one would get on a "normal" cruise. Appreciate the warnings, though, as they may help a future cruiser on one of these short sailings.

I'm in the hospitality business, so I know the stresses that can be put on staff when you have a short turnaround on facilities. Fortunately, I'm low maintenance - they can skip my cabin the entire trip to make time for others. In fact, I do this at hotels all the time when they offer points or food credits for skipping housekeeping. All I require is a room that is not falling apart, someone to keep the pool towels in stock, someone to pour a glass of wine (or vodka or rum straight up), someone clear the dishes off of the buffet room tables. Oh, and someone who knows how to safely get the ship from A to B!

Good to hear that I may have more food options and do not have to do assigned seating. I'm on a short cruise to relax, and having to make chit chat with strangers at the dinner table is NOT on my list of relaxing activities. I went to the buffet many times on NCL and Princess as I could make my own entree salads after looking at the dinner menu each night and finding the non-meat choices seriously lacking in diversity. I abhor those cold soups (unless it is gazpacho), as they are seriously overloaded with cream and calories. If I want something cold with fruit, I'll take a smoothie ;) As for the bread pudding, it's a weakness of mine...

No cream in the cold soups we had, one was peach and the other was watermelon and they came in a shot glass. I wasn't too worried about calories ;-)

If by red meat you mean beef and pork, then you shouldn't have a problem with the regular menu. There's usually a seafood option, vegetarian option, and poultry option for the main course available every night. If you're more restricted, you can request seeing the menu the night before and order something from HAL's vegetarian options. Those are dishes they can make with advanced notice.

OleSalt, there are no longer gala nights or formal nights or any kind of special night on the short repos, so need to bring a glittery top or little black dress.

Roz

I'm considering a cruise on the Rotterdam. I have been on one other Holland Cruise on the Westerdam, quite a few years ago. I am anxious to book the cruise because of the itinerary, however, I am seeing a lot of negative reviews on this ship. Could someone shed some light on this situation? Also, this would be our first cruise in an interior cabin, which I am also anxious about!!!

Thank You in advance.

I'm considering a cruise on the Rotterdam. I have been on one other Holland Cruise on the Westerdam, quite a few years ago. I am anxious to book the cruise because of the itinerary, however, I am seeing a lot of negative reviews on this ship. Could someone shed some light on this situation? Also, this would be our first cruise in an interior cabin, which I am also anxious about!!!

Thank You in advance.

Oops!, Yes I have been in an Interior. Back in 1976 on our very first cruise, ages ago. I have gotten spoiled since.

Westerdam has a Coastal from Vancouver to San Diego for the Mexico re-positioning. WE are on the 11 night out of Vancouver on to Mexico.

Westerdam is probably our favorite of the newer ships. She has enough of the new to keep interest up and offer variety and enough of the "classic" HAL feel we love. Soft colors, art and antiques, and lots of wood. Her crew is outstanding and of you are lucky enough to sail with Captain Van Eerten (I hear her will be back in October) you will be in for a treat. He and Chris Turner are my two favorite Captains in the fleet.

Thank You in advance.

Are you talking about the reviews on the 'review board' on Cruise Critic? Take them with a grain of salt.

I haven't been on her in more years than I want to say, BUT I have heard from a couple of CC members who let me know how great the ship was and staff and one of our roll call members enjoyed the ship so much they booked the 30 day cruise we are on.

It's a smaller ship so, obviously you won't see pool slides, huge entertainment venues,etc.

But we like the smaller ships and she is one of the flag ships of Holland America :).

Slidergirl,

It sounds like you are a good fit for HAL from what you have posted.

I did see a HUGE difference in the menu offerings though when the repositioning started on our 33 day cruise.

It was o.k., but not the same. You might want to consider a reservation at the Pinnacle Grill for one of those nights (a cost of $29) or try it at lunch if there are reservations available when you board ($10)

Slidergirl,

It sounds like you are a good fit for HAL from what you have posted.

I did see a HUGE difference in the menu offerings though when the repositioning started on our 33 day cruise.

It was o.k., but not the same. You might want to consider a reservation at the Pinnacle Grill for one of those nights (a cost of $29) or try it at lunch if there are reservations available when you board ($10)

Good points - we noticed the same thing in the past. The OP might also try the Canaletto (cost $10) for one of the dinners. It is less formal than the Pinnacle, although obviously not as good.

OleSalt, there are no longer gala nights or formal nights or any kind of special night on the short repos, so need to bring a glittery top or little black dress.

Roz

Thanks for the info, but there is always a good reason to bring a glittery top to wear to the MDR ...just because. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info, but there is always a good reason to bring a glittery top to wear to the MDR ...just because. :rolleyes:

Don't own a glittery top, don't want to own a glittery top. Just not me. My LBD is perfectly fine for any occasion - it's all in the accessories ;)

Re the Westerdam: I hadn't looked at October, just September. This could be good timing for me, as my hotel is totally dead in late Sept/early Oct.

Does HAL do the Indonesian dishes in the buffet? I vaguely remember hearing about some line doing these. Since the Dutch were big in the area and there is lots of great Indonesian restaurants in the Netherlands, I was thinking HAL was the line. As for the "meat" thing, I will eat fish or chicken or turkey if the vegetarian proteins are lacking (many times, the vegetarian offering is carb-heavy).

I go into these coastal cruises with my eyes wide open to the fact that they are not representative of "real" cruises. But, they are WAY better than the 3-4 day booze cruises you'd find in the Caribbean! I just want a few days on the ocean, peace and quiet and some decent food that I'm not cooking :p

Don't own a glittery top, don't want to own a glittery top. Just not me. My LBD is perfectly fine for any occasion - it's all in the accessories ;)

I go into these coastal cruises with my eyes wide open to the fact that they are not representative of "real" cruises. But, they are WAY better than the 3-4 day booze cruises you'd find in the Caribbean! I just want a few days on the ocean, peace and quiet and some decent food that I'm not cooking :p

I stand corrected. Hope you have a wonderful and relaxing cruise. We love those smaller, quieter HAL ships.

Edited by OlsSalt

HAL typically has a vegetarian option on the regular MDR evening menu but also has a very good separate veg menu. Ask to see it and the next evening's regular menu then pick what you want ( but you have to order the day before if you want something from the veg menu). We've been very happy with items from the veg menu - it's definitely not just the usual pasta option.

Does HAL do the Indonesian dishes in the buffet? I vaguely remember hearing about some line doing these. Since the Dutch were big in the area and there is lots of great Indonesian restaurants in the Netherlands, I was thinking HAL was the line. As for the "meat" thing, I will eat fish or chicken or turkey if the vegetarian proteins are lacking (many times, the vegetarian offering is carb-heavy).

Normally one day a week the Asian station in the Lido is serves Indonesian food

... What would HAL offer that Princess or NCL would not offer?

There are many differences among Princess, NCL and HAL but IMO only one significant difference - only HAL has a Roman Catholic priest (who celebrates daily Mass) on board every one of its cruises. So if spiritual renewal is an important component of your vacation experience, HAL would the hands-down choice.

I hope you enjoy the cruise - smooth sailing!

<snip>

What would HAL offer that Princess or NCL would not offer? I'm in the HAL target demographic (over 50).

Of those lines, I think HAL is the only one that offers full room service (including full breakfast) to all cabins. A nice touch indeed :)

I find the crew on HAL better but that's JMO of course. Something about the way they all work together to make YOUR cruise as good as possible. Always smiling, always greeting you and happy to do what you ask ;)

One of the reasons we sail HAL is their amazing crew and wonderful itineraries :)

Of those lines, I think HAL is the only one that offers full room service (including full breakfast) to all cabins. A nice touch indeed :)

I find the crew on HAL better but that's JMO of course. Something about the way they all work together to make YOUR cruise as good as possible. Always smiling, always greeting you and happy to do what you ask ;)

One of the reasons we sail HAL is their amazing crew and wonderful itineraries :)

Also, HAL offers the ability to order your dinner from the main dining room menu to be brought to your cabin via room service.

There are many differences among Princess, NCL and HAL but IMO only one significant difference - only HAL has a Roman Catholic priest (who celebrates daily Mass) on board every one of its cruises. So if spiritual renewal is an important component of your vacation experience, HAL would the hands-down choice.

I hope you enjoy the cruise - smooth sailing!

And if you happen to not be RC, OP, there are Jewish celebrations on the appropriate days as well as interdenominational services ;)

Also, HAL offers the ability to order your dinner from the main dining room menu to be brought to your cabin via room service.

Exactly :). We tend to forget about the "little" things ;):D