Noro on regatta now?

RJB

It is obviously not a comprehensive list, since it doesn't show the Regatta outbreak for at least two cruises in Feb/March 2016, where we were Code Red as I previously said.

2 things, was it over 3%? Was it going to be calling on a US port? Without question 2 being yes they wouldn't have to report it to the CDC. Without question 1 being yes then it wouldn't be on the website, although the cruise line would have to report all incidents.

It is obviously not a comprehensive list, since it doesn't show the Regatta outbreak for at least two cruises in Feb/March 2016, where we were Code Red as I previously said.

"Code Red" is just an internal designation for special procedures taken by the cruise line. Oceania can, and presumably does, declare "code red" when it observes the potential development of a noro or other GI outbreak. If the GI outbreak never reaches the CDC's threshold of 3% of passengers or crew with symptoms the cruise wouldn't be listed on the CDC report.

The ship's itinerary also affects whether an outbreak appears on the CDC report. The ship has to be calling on a US port at some point in the itinerary for an outbreak to be included on the CDC report. So if the ship is just cruising in Europe, Asia, South America, etc. with no US port call you won't find the outbreak listed by the CDC because the ship is not under CDC's jurisdiction .

Note: I see ORV was posting the same information while I was typing this.

Reading this about certain SA ports reminded me of my recent river cruise to Egypt. We had one person that came down ill with GI problems, fortunately at the end of the cruise. Our CD told us over and over not to eat any of the street food or in the local restaurants. Our digestive systems are not prepared for their sanitation habits. That one cruiser didn't take the half day trip with the rest of us to Abu Simbel but stayed back at the boat. He later decided to be adventurous that morning and headed out eating the local cuisine. BAM! He missed the trip to the pyramids and the sphinx because of that adventurous nature! In main land China , Uniworld was very particular likewise about where and what we ate. O has no clue of what walks onto its ships, but can be charged to perform extreme measures in attempts to clean up the mess.

2 things, was it over 3%? Was it going to be calling on a US port? Without question 2 being yes they wouldn't have to report it to the CDC. Without question 1 being yes then it wouldn't be on the website, although the cruise line would have to report all incidents.

No idea of the percentage, though it was obviously serious enough to warrant an (ineffective) clean in Buenos Aires which delayed boarding until 7pm. However we did not call at any US port, nor did the previous infected cruise, so that is why it is not on the CDC list. Hence the list is not comprehensive.

At the Captain's Reception tonight he announced that we are down to three cases of GI infections confined to their cabins. Expectation is that Code Red will end tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

Thanks so much for that very heartening update! I hope you can enjoy the rest of your cruise with no worries.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Trying to figure out issues here with Oceania. We are getting ready to book next year for 21 day South America. Have not heard anything about other cruise ships having similar issues.( in particular Princess).

Can demographics be playing a. Issue? Older persons have less experience with public bathrooms​ and washing hands after handling anything in a public area. Don't flame me for this comment but we have noticed this on several cruises.

Wash your hands after everything!

Anyway, this is all about onboard NOT about Lima or Rio or Buenos Aires. This is Bout on the ship.

Happy Cruising

Yikes! :eek: DW and I (early sixties) have booked our first cruise with Oceania. We have been on Princess and Celebrity a few times. Never Noro. But we wanted to try a smaller ship luxury cruise line.

TA told us the demographics on Oceania is mostly older PAX.

So, why do you say "Older persons have less experience with public bathrooms​ and washing hands after handling anything in a public area"?

FWIW, DW and I, always wash our hands with soap and hot water for at least the recommended time whenever "pee peeing" and "poop pooping", when using public and private bathrooms. Isn't that the norm, everywhere, even with older persons? And if not, why?

In public areas, we are also careful to use paper towels/napkins when opening or closing door nobs, elevator buttons, and don't use our fingers to eat food off our plates when standing in the buffet line. We use hand sanitizer as needed. Better to be safe than sorry. :)

"I cruise to eat healthy, and to enjoy a slice of apple pie every day before I die."

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Princess in the only other ship on the CDC list for 2017, not sure where that ship is though. I don't completely agree with your assessment. Please don't think these elderly folk on Oceania are nursing home rejects. Have you been on Oceania? Most of the folks are experience cruisers and know what they're doing.

You are totally uninformed regarding elderly(?) travelers not knowing proper hygiene. Everyone, including myself, are well travelled, educated and definitely know the necessary hygienic steps to take to insure our health as well as our travelling companions...

I started to write this earlier, then decided not to say anything. Now I've changed my mind again.

I grew up during the polio epidemic in the '50s BEFORE a vaccine was available. My mother dinned into our heads that we must thoroughly wash our hands after going to the loo. She also advocated (long before I saw reports of Noro anywhere) that we should not open the bathroom door when leaving without some sort of protective paper on our hands. I am still governed by her orders!

Younger people, it would seem to me, who grew up in times when many diseases were not a problem -- like measles, polio, mumps, etc. -- have not thought that hand washing is important. One reason I believe that we are seeing a return of some of those childhood diseases that had disappeared is because the generations behind us didn't have to worry about them because of vaccination ... but now many of them prevent their children from being vaccinated because of fears of autism.

It's a vicious circle. Measles was just about completely eradicated and suddenly it's a problem again.

And that has nothing to do with washing your hands ...

We were on Marina in 2015 when there was a Noro outbreak and we didn't get sick precisely because we DID wash our hands meticulously. We weren't alone ...

Mura

Would certainly hope everyone knows to wash their hands, both young and old. Regatta captain just announced that if there are no new cases by 2:00 AM we will be cleared from Code Red. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

Fingers and toes crossed that you will be cleared then!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are totally uninformed regarding elderly(?) travelers not knowing proper hygiene. Everyone, including myself, are well travelled, educated and definitely know the necessary hygienic steps to take to insure our health as well as our travelling companions...

I believe you quoted the wrong person, read what I wrote, not the person I quoted.

Not everyone may practice proper hygiene

many threads here on CC people have reported seeing some pax leaving the W/C bypassing the soap & water on the way

so even though people are well travelled & educated they still may not wash their hands after using the toilet :eek:

Sorry, I'm old. And sometimes I get confused, and at times, my reading comprehension is not so good.

So, what do you mean HappyCruser37 was, "totally uninformed regarding elderly travelers not knowing proper hygiene", when he/she said: "Everyone, including myself, are well travelled, educated and definitely know the necessary hygienic steps to take to insure our health as well as our travelling companions..." ?

I don't understand if you agree or disagree with HappyCruiser37. Please explain.

Enjoy your cruise, and if God wills, grant you good health, to live and not die before your next cruise.

"I cruise to stay healthy, and to eat a slice of apple pie everyday before I die."

Yikes! :eek: DW and I (early sixties) have booked our first cruise with Oceania. We have been on Princess and Celebrity a few times. Never Noro. But we wanted to try a smaller ship luxury cruise line.

TA told us the demographics on Oceania is mostly older PAX.

So, why do you say "Older persons have less experience with public bathrooms​ and washing hands after handling anything in a public area"?

FWIW, DW and I, always wash our hands with soap and hot water for at least the recommended time whenever "pee peeing" and "poop pooping", when using public and private bathrooms. Isn't that the norm, everywhere, even with older persons? And if not, why?

In public areas, we are also careful to use paper towels/napkins when opening or closing door nobs, elevator buttons, and don't use our fingers to eat food off our plates when standing in the buffet line. We use hand sanitizer as needed. Better to be safe than sorry. :)

"I cruise to eat healthy, and to enjoy a slice of apple pie every day before I die."

Sorry, I was confused.

I meant ORV's comments on St. Paul Girl's comment (#21) and not HappyCrusers37 reply.

Please accept my apologies.

"I cruise to eat healthy, and to eat a slice of apple pie everyday before I die."

By all means lets make sure that it was St Pauli Girl and not me that made the statement about the elderly not knowing how to use public restrooms.

I'd like to see happy cruiser confirm that as they think I'm uninformed. I'm a lot of things but generally not that. I'd be okay with an apology.

It seems the biggest issue here is people are uninformed on understanding how the quote system works.

The big question is

has it been confirmed as NORO or is it still a G.I. illness going around ????

CDC site still says UNKNOWN as the cause of the problem

I know G.I. illnesses & NORO have very similar symptoms & can spread but maybe one spreads more easily through the general populace than the other

Let's not start rumours... stick to the facts

The big question is

has it been confirmed as NORO or is it still a G.I. illness going around ????

CDC site still says UNKNOWN as the cause of the problem

I know G.I. illnesses & NORO have very similar symptoms & can spread but maybe one spreads more easily through the general populace than the other

Let's not start rumours... stick to the facts

I believe that Oceania always call it 'a GI illness' and never use the word 'norovirus'.

Or has anybody actually heard them call it that ever?

I believe that Oceania always call it 'a GI illness' and never use the word 'norovirus'.

Or has anybody actually heard them call it that ever?

Once it is confirmed as Noro I believe they do call it NORO

Live from Regatta. We are sailing out of Costa Rica and the captain just announced we have left level 2 and are now at level 1. I was playing Trivia and a great cheer went up. The guest laundry is opening for the first time this cruise as is the library. Tomorrow we can play bridge and enjoy the putting green. Hopefully we'll have salt and pepper on the table and life will return to normal