Step Count on the Regatta? Average Daily?

victw

Hi all,

For those of you that count steps - I'm wondering what your average step count on the Regatta or similar sized ship is?

I'm not normally a gym goer - but I will schedule time if needed to keep healthy during the cruise. Even though I hear the gym has a great view - I don't want to spend more time at it than needed.

We have never cruised before. Plan to use the stairs and not the elevator. And expect to spend a good amount of the few sea days walking the deck as we are cruising in Alaska.

Thanks.

Vic

Vic,

I don't count steps! But the answer will depend on where you cabin is located and where you are going!

On Regatta, the main dining room is on Deck 5 aft but the specialty restaurants are on Deck 10, also aft,.

The Terrace buffet and Waves are on Deck 9 (the pool deck). The 1/4 mile track is on Deck 10, so is the Library.

Actually, I would suggest you go to http://www.oceaniacruises.com and look at the deck plans. For example, if most of your walks would be aft, that's where the restaurants are. Horizons, the bar up top, is forward on Deck 10.

The theater is on Deck 5 forward ...

If your room is on Deck 8, then it's not a long walk upstairs to the specialty restaurants, etc. But if you are on Deck 4 it could be a long hike!

Hope this helps, Mura

Mura,

I looked at the deck plans a half dozen times and wasn't getting it until I posted on a thread that had a side view picture of the regatta. Found it right after posting this question. We are in steerage. Looks like I don't have to worry about gym time if I'm hoofing it up and down the stairs. Fantastic - I will enjoy my desserts.

Looking forward to this new experience.

Vic

Hi all,

For those of you that count steps - I'm wondering what your average step count on the Regatta or similar sized ship is?

Vic

Vic, I am a step counter and also an actual excerise counter. No matter the size of the ship you'll have to make an effort to meet your goal(s) unless they are very low. We were on the Riveria in January and we had to make sure we met our daily numbers by doing extra walking.

Hi Vic -

I count steps, min 11,000/day. Port days I'm usually fine but need lots of treadmill time on sea days. We always take the stairs on the R-class ships, not so much on Marina or Riviera. Oh and I LOVE the Oceania desserts!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Vic,

I don't count steps! But the answer will depend on where you cabin is located and where you are going!

On Regatta, the main dining room is on Deck 5 aft but the specialty restaurants are on Deck 10, also aft,.

The Terrace buffet and Waves are on Deck 9 (the pool deck). The 1/4 mile track is on Deck 10, so is the Library.

Actually, I would suggest you go to www.oceaniacruises.com and look at the deck plans. For example, if most of your walks would be aft, that's where the restaurants are. Horizons, the bar up top, is forward on Deck 10.

The theater is on Deck 5 forward ...

If your room is on Deck 8, then it's not a long walk upstairs to the specialty restaurants, etc. But if you are on Deck 4 it could be a long hike!

Hope this helps, Mura

For grins I figured from a foward cabin you walk about 1000 ft RT on a R ship for each meal .

• 1 month later...

FYI I averaged17738 steps a day on our cruise to Alaska. That includes port days when we did hikes. Deer Mountain in Ketchikan. Side trails around Mendenhall and walking back from our whale watching excursion in Hoonah and from the raptor center through the totem trail in Sitka.

We were in steerage (deck 3) which to the MDR meant low steps. But the stairs up to the Terrace/fitness track were good.

I used the fitness track enough that folks commented on seeing me up there - but rarely used it more than a mile at a time.

I did not gain weight on the cruise. But am finding it a little challenging to dial back the eating post cruise. Desserts twice a day plus yums at tea time became habit forming.

We don't count steps! But I can say that when we were on a forward cabin on Marina it was a LOT LONGER to get to the restaurants than it was from a forward cabin on one of the "R" ships!

So much so that DH dispensed much of the time with his usual post-dinner walk around the deck!

But if you in an aft cabin, then you definitely would want to do some more walking ... at least in terms of getting to the dining areas!

Mura

I am a step counter, min of 10,000 a day. Easy to get on port days. On sea days, you will have to make an effort. In good weather, I just walk around the track up top for an hour. In bad weather, I walk the halls, and you can get the steps pretty easily with that.

If you have a fitbit that tracks flights of stairs, it will throw out some interesting numbers if the seas are rough. I'll never know how many flights of stairs we did on the day we hiked up to Corniglia and then into Vernazza in Cinque Terre. My fit bit had some enormous number that day, but the ship's motion always adds a goodly sum, even if I'm sleeping in bed.

ATW16 there were a bunch of us who walked because of # of sea days and # of desserts!

For those days that you don't walk in port, you can use the walking track but if you are in warm weather areas go first thing in the morning because it gets really hot up there even at 7am.

I never used the gym but several did--I just prefer walking outside. I saw dolphins several times, all kinds of ships at sea, and flying fish!!!

On days of pitching seas or rain I walked the hallways of 7. I would try to wait until after lunch to walk so that the staff could care for the cabins and not have to dodge me....or I'd do it very early in the morning before they started work.

Hallways on 6 are also nice. Sometimes I'd listen to music....Beach Boys and Jimmy Buffett and Polynesian seas....what's not to love!!!