Breakaway 9/17 Bermuda. Rerouting?

st2288

Personally I would prefer they cancel the cruise than go to Canada or the Bahamas, oddly enough, I had a bid on an upgrade that has been "pending" for weeks now. I went on the NCL website a few mins ago & the entire offer has disappeared... wonder what that means, if anything.....

Bonnie

The only way Ncl would cancel is if a hurricane hits NY

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Note that Jose's forecast path has changed a LOT over the last 2 weeks. And it has an amazing long life.

It is forecast to still be hurricane strength and on a course heading NE between Bermunda and NYC from Sunday to Tuesday.

If it does that, there is a good chance Breakaway can slip south along the coast then east to Bermunda and maybe arrive a little late.

If the storm stalls or stays closer to Bermuda, at tropical storm strength or greater, you can't sail to Bermuda. Too much risk and NCL was criticized for sailing in rough weather so they are being conservative. I was on Breakaway for the cruise that did not make it to Bermuda last year and we heard a lot about the level of risk they can accept. We had to wait in port and depart Monday wait for the first storm to pass, then could not go to Bermuda because the second storm was Tropical Storm strength and within 200 miles of Bermuda. They considered a Canada/New England route but knew most passengers would be unprepared with warm clothing (we had an entire bag packed for this option!) and it turned out that in October there are so many ships in these ports there was no port that could take a ship our size in addition to those already there. So it was south to Port Canaveral and Nassau, both of which had been hit by the hurricanes and were unsatisfying ports. But we had a good 7 days on the ship!

The unfortunate part of the situation is that NCL did not communicate the situation. They kept saying we are sailing as planned, right until boarding. Many people boarded that ship thinking we were going to Bermuda. I knew otherwise. And after everyone was boarded, they announced the changes. About 100 people left the ship with no refund being given! We got a refund of the difference in port fees (just $25) and $200 OBC per cabin.

Good luck and watch the forecast carefully!

Omg I'm going 10/1. I would hope they would tell us in advance. I better not head north! I'm going to beach and blue water. For me the ship is just a plus, I'm going for destination

Omg I'm going 10/1. I would hope they would tell us in advance. I better not head north! I'm going to beach and blue water. For me the ship is just a plus, I'm going for destination

They tend to hold off on those decisions as long as possible, so you might not know until you're on board. It's very frustrating!

From the looks of the latest forecast (5 PM, EDT local) Jose "should" gradually lose strength & downgrade to a tropical storm with less damaging wind & rain - this isn't a monster dangerously storm like Sandy that hit us in 2012 (NY area) as a more-or-less direct hit when it made landfall.

Breakaway is a big ship, mega-ship and it will sail just fine, perhaps go around and/or behind Jose ... finding the best course heading to sail thru the tropical storm if the BA Captain believed it is the best option, based on the latest real-time navigational & weather data feeds onto the ship's bridge. Braced for a possible choppy ride for a period heading out to Bermuda, we did & were informed ONCE we got underway ... on what to expect late evening, overnight into the morning hours. It was "rough" for 12 to 15 hours (as I recall) but by mid/late-afternoon on Day 2, we've left the storm behind us into much calmer ocean waters for our first stop - San Juan, PR as it was a Caribbean run ... beautiful weather and all.

Give Jose another 48 hours to run the course - by this Friday, forecast should be clearer ... unusual to do a triple spin or loop around, never say never. Happy cruising - this is afterall, hurricane season (till Nov. 30th) :cool:

It is not forecast to hit Bermuda (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml?cone#contents). It is also expected to be a tropical storm on Friday, not a hurricane. As it heads north into cooler waters it will weaken.

If the cruise was to re-route to Canada, it would put us into the storm. I think Monday we will have some rough water, but Tuesday should be fine. We have been through two hurricanes on cruises. The good thing is they usually pass very quickly.

People in rooms in the front of the ship have it the roughest. Don't drink a lot and eat light meals before the storm hits. Dramamine works, some people prefer the junior strength ones (less drowsy and you can always take a second one). Ginger candies work great. I have also read that eating green apples works, but I've never tried it.

NCL will do their best to avoid the storm. With hurricane Irene, we had really rough water from midnight until 11 am. When we went to breakfast the waves were breaking outside the windows on the main dining in the back of the ship. Someone said, "Isn't that scary?" and I replied, "Only if you are on the other side of the windows". At noon. once the storm passed, the ocean was flat as a pancake and we had the best weather of the entire cruise. Our 7 day cruise ended up being 8 days. When we got home we didn't have power for another 12 days. Crap... Why did we get off the ship?

Hope this is helpful!

We're on this voyage too........

Last October, we were on Breakaway when Hurricane Matthew was off of the Carolinas and Hurricane Nicole was headed directly for Bermuda.

We were one of four ships that stayed the night in NY and then since we couldn't go to Bermuda, we went to Port Canaveral and Nassau.

It sucked........big time. It was cloudy rainy every day.

Yea, yea, I know, I'm sure others will post that we knew what we were getting into for booking during Hurricane season and that is what we get. Yea, yea, I know, at least we were safe and on vacation and I don't have the right to have a momentary negative opinion.

Well I did then and I do now.

I have very little doubt that we will sail to Bermuda and if I had my way, I'd use our insurance and cancel. But I'm the worry wort in the group being told that everything will be fine and stop worrying and to just shut up and that we're going no matter what.

We're Doomed.

There, I feel better now that I've vented.

Edited by woodburykt

Last October, we were on Breakaway when Hurricane Matthew was off of the Carolinas and Hurricane Nicole was headed directly for Bermuda.

We were one of four ships that stayed the night in NY and then since we couldn't go to Bermuda, we went to Port Canaveral and Nassau.

It sucked........big time. It was cloudy rainy every day.

Yea, yea, I know, I'm sure others will post that we knew what we were getting into for booking during Hurricane season and that is what we get. Yea, yea, I know, at least we were safe and on vacation and I don't have the right to have a momentary negative opinion.

Well I did then and I do now.

I have very little doubt that we will sail to Bermuda and if I had my way, I'd use our insurance and cancel. But I'm the worry wort in the group being told that everything will be fine and stop worrying and to just shut up and that we're going no matter what.

We're Doomed.

Oh my goodness! This seems impossible odds even in hurricane season! We where there with you last year, but we booked December 3 this year. Of course, even though we booked out of the season we're not going to the same ports now!

Checking the path of Hurricane Jose. It looks like it will come up to the northeast . I am afraid the breakaway might reroute to Canada, which I do not want..

9/17? I'm on it too. I'm bringing a poncho, sweats and a light jacket? I'm thinking a bad day on a cruise ship is better than a good day at work? I'm bringing sea sick medicine too, and I don't even get seasick. I wish we knew what was going to happen

Take heart fellow cruisers, I do believe it's looking better and better for us. The latest on Jose Track: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml?cone#contents Wish I could still post pictures but that will have to do. Jose should be well south of us on Sunday when we leave and far enough west of us not to bother in Bermuda.

Take heart fellow cruisers, I do believe it's looking better and better for us. The latest on Jose Track: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml?cone#contents Wish I could still post pictures but that will have to do. Jose should be well south of us on Sunday when we leave and far enough west of us not to bother in

IMG_3444.jpg.b836d491d217749eaa810cda041f96ee.jpg

Here's the latest track. Think we'll have time to get out of NY and east fast enough to get out of Jose's path? I'm hoping.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just got off the Breakaway on the 10th. Last year we sailed and got caught up in hurricane hermine in the Breakaway. I was very anxious The day before Norwegian messaged us and told us we needed to be at embarkation early because we needed to set sail at 1pm rather than 4. I was watching the radar and was terrified. I was praying they would cancel . Well upon embarkation the captain told us I we were prone to seasickness to take our meds. The first night and next day the wave heights were 27 feet. That being said it wasn't scary and wasn't nearly as bad as I expected It was a bit rocky but not bad enough to make us sick by any means. By midday Monday it diminished and we were in the clear by Tuesday. My whole point is with Norwegian just trust the captain the Breakaway handles rough seas very very well

We're Doomed.

You are funny.

The ship is going to bolt east tomorrow. Will get the heck out of dodge.

It will be fine! Maybe some rocking and rolling on Monday but Tuesday will be glorious in Bermuda.

Enjoy and Bon Voyage.

Storm forecast with the path of its track become less accurate at 72 to 96 hours, 3 to 5 days - especially true for "Jose" - even the weather experts agreed that their different models are having lots of trouble with it - warm & cold fronts, jet streams have been playing tricks on everyone.

No matter what, the Atlantic waters look choppy, whether it's Bermuda bound or possibly going south ... based on oceanweather dot com's chart on waves. Sailing north, which is a possibility but I think all the ports big enough with deep channels are probably full over the next several weeks with foilage sailing by all the lines ... Unless, the BA can "bump" the Gem at the ports as she is doing NE/Canada on the next several sailings.

12' to 15' seas are moderate & light chops for the Breakaway - but, we had been on her cutting thru 15' seas and for safety reasons, outdoor decks were closed ... perfectly fine to sit on our almost Fwd balcony, barely felt motions at cruise speed.

Pack one's own motion sickness remedies, just in case if prone to it. Safe sailing ... will be tracking the ship & destination over the weekend (will be our turn to sail NCL a few weeks later).

We were onthe Breakaway last year during Hermine with 27 foot seas believe it or not it was not nearly as bad as you would expect. Very bearable and not scary at all. The Breakaway is built to handle seas. We were on rccl anthem in may and nearly got sick in 10 foot seas. Shows how different ships can be