Caribbean cruise on Oceania Riviera/Regatta or Celebrity Eclipse

travellerin1984

Hi guys!

I really need your help. I have this wonderful problem of planning next winter cruise. A bit background information about us: Scandinavian couple, in our early and late thirties, enjoy food and wine and travelling. We have done three cruises on Celebrity, two of them in Aqua class. One of the cruises in normal balcony stateroom out of San Juan. We enjoy cruising and loved our Caribbean cruise this winter. We want to do one more Caribbean cruise in January 2015 and have started discussing which ship to book.

Our alternatives are 14 nights exotic Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Eclipse. Very nice ports but we have started to get bored of Celebrity entertainment (same shows) and even the food gets a bit repetitive after couple of long cruises. We are discussing Oceania Riviera/Regatta mainly because of the food offerings. Here are our alternatives:

Ship: Oceania Regatta, Oceania Cruises

January 6th, 2015 for 10 nights

10 Nights - Mayan Mystique - Miami Florida to Miami Florida

Starting in Miami with stops in Cruising the Straits of Florida, George Town, Cozumel, Belize City, Santo Tomas, Roatan, Costa Maya, Key West

Ship: Oceania Riviera, Oceania Cruises

January 4th, 2015 for 10 nights

Carefree Caribbean - Miami Florida to Miami Florida

Starting in Miami with stops in Cruising the Atlantic Ocean, Grand Turk, San Juan, Tortola, Philipsburg, Gustavia, Cayo Levantado, Great Stirrup Cay

Ship: Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Cruises

January 4th, 2015 for 14 nights

14 Nights Exotic Southern Caribbean Cruise on Celebrity Eclipse

Starting in Miami with stops in Oranjestad, Willemstad, Kralendijk, Castries, Bridgetown, St. Johns, Basseterre, Philipsburg

Oceania is a bit pricier so we would book oceanview stateroom and in Celebrity Aqua Class stateroom. It is really a difficult choice. You get 14 nights in balcony stateroom with Blu with drink package or 10 nights in a oceanview stateroom on Oceania.

We enjoy good wine. During the last cruises we have noticed that sommeliers in Celebrity dont really have the time to discuss choices and flavors. How do you consider Oceania wine service compared to Celebrity? Do they know the wines and have right education?

I appreciate your comments, feedback and tips.

• 3 weeks later...

if you are really in good wine - i shall say it polite Oceania is not a good choice neither unless you are willing to pay very high prices for a "good" bottle + 18 % on it

and said that i am just back from Riviera - wine service was extremely poor

lots of mistakes ... long waiting times for a refill

once i did receive my second glass after dessert

if wine is so important you must look further to other companies.

prefer that cruiseline.So good idea to get on Celebrity one and get other views too.

In a nutshell, I prefer smaller,luxury ships after many yrs.of mass market,large ones.Better food,service,less lines,more room and less large groups hogging every venue.

In short,you DO get what you pay for.As far as Regatta(smaller with 700 passengers and older ship),Riverera(1200 and newer).

Good luck with decision,guess it comes down to itinerary and ship size.:)

Hi guys!

I really need your help. I have this wonderful problem of planning next winter cruise. A bit background information about us: Scandinavian couple, in our early and late thirties, enjoy food and wine and travelling. We have done three cruises on Celebrity, two of them in Aqua class. One of the cruises in normal balcony stateroom out of San Juan. We enjoy cruising and loved our Caribbean cruise this winter. We want to do one more Caribbean cruise in January 2015 and have started discussing which ship to book.

Our alternatives are 14 nights exotic Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Eclipse. Very nice ports but we have started to get bored of Celebrity entertainment (same shows) and even the food gets a bit repetitive after couple of long cruises. We are discussing Oceania Riviera/Regatta mainly because of the food offerings. Here are our alternatives:

Ship: Oceania Regatta, Oceania Cruises

January 6th, 2015 for 10 nights

10 Nights - Mayan Mystique - Miami Florida to Miami Florida

Starting in Miami with stops in Cruising the Straits of Florida, George Town, Cozumel, Belize City, Santo Tomas, Roatan, Costa Maya, Key West

Ship: Oceania Riviera, Oceania Cruises

January 4th, 2015 for 10 nights

Carefree Caribbean - Miami Florida to Miami Florida

Starting in Miami with stops in Cruising the Atlantic Ocean, Grand Turk, San Juan, Tortola, Philipsburg, Gustavia, Cayo Levantado, Great Stirrup Cay

Ship: Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Cruises

January 4th, 2015 for 14 nights

14 Nights Exotic Southern Caribbean Cruise on Celebrity Eclipse

Starting in Miami with stops in Oranjestad, Willemstad, Kralendijk, Castries, Bridgetown, St. Johns, Basseterre, Philipsburg

Oceania is a bit pricier so we would book oceanview stateroom and in Celebrity Aqua Class stateroom. It is really a difficult choice. You get 14 nights in balcony stateroom with Blu with drink package or 10 nights in a oceanview stateroom on Oceania.

We enjoy good wine. During the last cruises we have noticed that sommeliers in Celebrity dont really have the time to discuss choices and flavors. How do you consider Oceania wine service compared to Celebrity? Do they know the wines and have right education?

I appreciate your comments, feedback and tips.

Its all about size to me celebrity ships are 3 to 5 times larger and have a huge spectrum of humanity aboard. They are nickel dime at every stop and they actively promote class divisions in the passengers. Formal nites and all the hoop-ala 24/7 go go.

In the Carribe Celebrity will draw a party crowd and feel like a Vegas resort...They are designed for people who want to cruise but don't like ships....if that makes sense .

Oceaina, is way smaller, draws from a smaller more traveled , mannered and reserved group. Feel is more "country club" than Resort.

Oceaina ships in the carribe will attract people who love the intimate atmosphere and can entertain them selves. restaurants are ALL inclusive and Much higher quality dining and food than you could get on Celebrity for any price. More all inclusive in every respect. No blatant crass class distinctions.

So size and atmosphere ....

As to wine... it's all very subjective.... Going on a cruise based on wine service is like picking a golf vacation based on the quality of Skiiing available.

Total un related to the concept at hand.

Hi

I think you would like Oceania Riviera very much. Take the cooking class every time you can.

We like wine with dinner, and find the mid-priced wine on Oceania good.

Sommeliers can point you to the more expensive and outstanding offerings. In the specialty restaurants the decanting is great theatre.

I sometimes buy a bottle of dessert wine to savor after some of our meals.

Please let us know what you decide and how it turns out

Hi guys!

Our alternatives are 14 nights exotic Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Eclipse. Very nice ports but we have started to get bored of Celebrity entertainment (same shows) and even the food gets a bit repetitive after couple of long cruises. We are discussing Oceania Riviera/Regatta mainly because of the food offerings.

I cannot comment on Oceania as we have never cruised this line. However, you do have another Celebrity alternative you can consider. That is to do a B2B on Celebrity Summit from San Juan for a total of 14 days. The itinerary alternates each week and the only common stop is St. Thomas. The ship is smaller than Eclipse (but not as small as Oceania). We did this last month and enjoyed it so much that we will do the same in 2015. The 123Go promotion has attracted a younger crowd and you might enjoy that. The sommeliers might be busier than usual with so many guests buying drink packages. However, there is a very nice wine bar that is never extremely busy and the speciality restaurants also will be able to spend more time on wine selections. I could be wrong but I think if you purchase a bottle of wine at one venue, you can make it available in the dining room at your request.

• 2 years later...

I LOVE Oceania, but it may not be for you. It gets an older crowd (50+). The food and service are amazing! The entertainment is so-so.It is very laid back. No one tries to sell you anything. (Photos, drinks, etc.) Most beverages are included...water, soda, specialty coffee. I love the smaller size of the ships. The whole staff gets to know your name.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have been Celebrity clients for a number of cruises as well. We love Celebrity. Many people say that Oceania is the cruise line for fine dining. Interestingly, the Cruise Critic Choice Awards for Dining has Celebrity 5 out of the top 10 awards with 1 and 2 being Celebrity ships.

Anyway, we are taking an Oceania cruise in a week because the itinerary is much different, going to different islands. I think because the ship is smaller enabling less visited islands to be on the itinerary. I do find the the ports times to be a bit odd with some midday arrivals and 11PM departures or short days in ports.

We are also taking Oceania because it is deemed somewhat less "active" than Celebrity and other mainstream lines. Less shows, muted atmosphere and certainly a much older demographic. (opinion based on reading the Cruise Critic Oceania reviews and forums) Our choice was for relaxation rather than touring and partying.

Like I said we are big Celebrity fans and will post our observations and comparisons after our cruise.

We have been Celebrity clients for a number of cruises as well. We love Celebrity. Many people say that Oceania is the cruise line for fine dining. Interestingly, the Cruise Critic Choice Awards for Dining has Celebrity 5 out of the top 10 awards with 1 and 2 being Celebrity ships.

Everything else about Cruise Critic is so well thought out that I find it very odd that they have structured their Surveys in the way that they did.

Ships with larger capacities and/or lower fares simply discharge larger numbers of voters, therefore smaller ships are at a disadvantage, unless there is a size distinction involved, which this category didn't.

Using that type of voting system, McDonald's would qualify as the Worlds best restaurant......

Everything else about Cruise Critic is so well thought out that I find it very odd that they have structured their Surveys in the way that they did.

Ships with larger capacities and/or lower fares simply discharge larger numbers of voters, therefore smaller ships are at a disadvantage, unless there is a size distinction involved, which this category didn't.

Using that type of voting system, McDonald's would qualify as the Worlds best restaurant......

Exactly.

This survey, like many others (Conde Nast,etc) have to be taken with a pound of salt (a pinch would not do it) :D

Exactly.

This survey, like many others (Conde Nast,etc) have to be taken with a pound of salt (a pinch would not do it) :D

You both sound offended? Why? Because on Celebrity the food is also considered good or just that Celebrity won?

I liken the dining survey and winners like any restaurant, some small restaurants are considered excellent and some large restaurants are considered excellent. It can be that way.

It is like car awards, there are best small cars and best large cars.

We just got off two weeks on celebrity. Luminae is superb. Imo everything else is barely edible. The specialties used to be great. We noticed a decline

The buffet is beyond awful

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our Celebrity cruises, I found the Oceanview cafe buffet very good. A rather large selection and there was always something to choose from. I also thought the specialty restaurants very good. We are not "foodies" but we do eat out a lot at a variety of eateries, from lower priced to Gordon Ramsay. I have had great food at cheap joints and not so good food at very high end establishments.

I have heard (and read, especially on this forum) so much about the food on Oceania, I just hope I am not expecting too much now.

You both sound offended? Why? Because on Celebrity the food is also considered good or just that Celebrity won?

I liken the dining survey and winners like any restaurant, some small restaurants are considered excellent and some large restaurants are considered excellent. It can be that way.

It is like car awards, there are best small cars and best large cars.

I am not offended at all. I just don't trust this type of survey.

I have no idea who voted, what type of food they like, how many from each cruise line (as J&S pointed out). If this ranking would have been done by trained chefs (or Michelin) then it would be more meaningful to me but my opinion would still be most important to me because it is I that have to eat the food and like it. Food is the most subjective topic discusssed here on CC. The poll is meaningless for ME as I have sailed on Celebrity multiple times as well as Oceania and I can make my own comparison (and ranking) - which is the only thing that matters to ME. You obviously will be able to make such a comparison for yourself after your O cruise and it may very well be that you will rate Celebrity higher. And that is OK for YOU.

Edited by Paulchili

I am not offended at all. I just don't trust this type of survey.

I have no idea who voted, what type of food they like, how many from each cruise line (as J&S pointed out). If this ranking would have been done by trained chefs (or Michelin) then it would be more meaningful to me but my opinion would still be most important to me because it is I that have to eat the food and like it. Food is the most subjective topic discusssed here on CC. The poll is meaningless for ME as I have sailed on Celebrity multiple times as well as Oceania and I can make my own comparison (and ranking) - which is the only thing that matters to ME. You obviously will be able to make such a comparison for yourself after your O cruise and it may very well be that you will rate Celebrity higher. And that is OK for YOU.

I guess that is what it is with polls or surveys, be they to determine the best or favorite of anything or political they are not always right to the individual if the results do not agree with your choices.

I do use polls and surveys to get an idea of what is out there but ultimately make up my mind based on many criteria, including personal experience.

I am on this particular forum because we chose to go on an Oceania cruise and am forming an opinion of Oceania before even going on the cruise.

My household has their first Oceania cruise booked for September.

Given the cruise lines out there, our research indicates the product offering of Oceania should align nicely with our evolving cruise and vacation preferences. We have changed as the cruise lines have changed.

There is so much information out there these days that consumers should have an easier time determining what cruise line to pick and as well align their expectations more accurately. What I will say is that almost every corporation out there in every sector is downgrading their product these days and either holding price or raising price depending on supply and demand.

After only sailing with Celebrity from 1991 to 2015, we fired them for the same reasons as noted by Hawaiidan earlier. Celebrity does not provide the on board atmosphere, food and clientel that I wish to purchase - but they used to. However, I can buy what I want elsewhere and I have.

I also do not wish to provide a sole source purchase to only one supplier because the cruise product is not consistent anymore as it was in the past. So I shop around and Oceania is the choice at the moment.

Wishing everyone happy and safe sailing.

I am on this particular forum because we chose to go on an Oceania cruise and am forming an opinion of Oceania before even going on the cruise.

That is not a good thing IMO. Prophecies have a way of becoming self-fulfilling :D.

It is good to be informed about choices, activities and the running of a new line but one should ideally cruise on a new line with an open mind and make up one's mind only AFTER experiencing the cruise.

I will be interested in hearing your opinions after your first cruise.

Pete, I agree with Paul here ... try not to form opinions before hand. Yes, you are collecting information and opinions (that's why we are here) but none of us who prefer Oceania would want you to make up your mind before you board the ship!

I do recall when we had to replace a Renaissance cruise that was eliminated because of the bankruptcy after 9/11 and we were on an NCL cruise from Buenos Aires to Santiago. We kept on saying, "But Ren did it better." Well, it did, but it wasn't available any more! (I think about half the passengers on that cruise were Ren people.) It was still a good cruise... even though the ship was twice the size of what we were used to.

From your posts I think you are able to read between the lines! But you shouldn't believe the fans any more than the nay-sayers. Just keep an open mind. Maybe O will work for you, maybe it won't.

ABoatNerd: Welcome! I wish you a bon voyage and hope you enjoy Oceania as much as we have since its inception.

Mura

Mura, thank you for your kind wishes.

Our household is incredibly excited about our Sept Oceania cruise.

After seeing Celebrity participate in the great rush to the bottom - we were relieved to discover Oceania.

All our research and CC posts confirm that Oceania should be a good fit going forward.

As other posters have said - we will go with an open mind and positive attitude.

Life evolves and trying different things is important - being wedded to the same old cruise line is not for us as we discovered.

Oceania has a really key niche - a truly premium product - that really no other line provides. We also enjoy Cunard.

One of the key things that brought us to both Oceania and Cunard is the lack of class segmentation that is thrown in the face of most passengers on Celebrity (on the Celebrity board there are threads using the word Steerage) and increasingly on other mass market cruise lines. We find the "ship in a ship" concept not acceptable. Cunard has the Grills and it is discrete and Oceania seems to have the same approach. Oceania being so inclusive of the "whole ship" experience made us book.

There seems to be many Celebrity patrons moving along to Oceania. Our travel agent noted we are one of many of his clients doing this.

I will be posting from time to time during trip organization. Would appreciate the incredible knowledge of the Oceania cruisers on this board.

In the end we are so blessed to be able to cruise in general and book on Oceania - for this I am very grateful.

Thank you to all.