Getaway vs. escape

Thecat3902

My family is planning a trip for September 2016. We originally booked an inside family room on the escape but are now wanting to upgrade because we thought about the value of the freestyle promotion and realized it will be worth the upgrade. We are thinking about an ocean view on the escape however the getaway is only $76 more for a family balcony than what we would pay on the escape. It looks like there won't be much difference in the ships. Is it worth it to have a balcony? I have cruised quite a bit and have always done ocean views or inside cabins because we always feel that we spend so little time in the room. We like both itineraries so that doesn't matter to us. What do you all think worth the little splurge for the upgrade or is there going to be something really fantastic on the escape over the getaway that I am missing?

My family is planning a trip for September 2016. We originally booked an inside family room on the escape but are now wanting to upgrade because we thought about the value of the freestyle promotion and realized it will be worth the upgrade. We are thinking about an ocean view on the escape however the getaway is only $76 more for a family balcony than what we would pay on the escape. It looks like there won't be much difference in the ships. Is it worth it to have a balcony? I have cruised quite a bit and have always done ocean views or inside cabins because we always feel that we spend so little time in the room. We like both itineraries so that doesn't matter to us. What do you all think worth the little splurge for the upgrade or is there going to be something really fantastic on the escape over the getaway that I am missing?

Originally booked the Getaway but changed to the Escape two weeks ago. Had to downgrade from Spa mini suite to a balcony.

We have been on the Breakaway so I know the Getaway is awesome.

Looks like the shows and slides on the Escape are even better. I guess we'll find out in Dec.

Either way, you guys are going to have fun.

The ships are basically the same. Different theme and decor, some of the venue names are different. Entertainment is different. But if you have never been on either ship, I'd just go with the one which is the best deal as far as price and cabin.

The ships are basically the same. Different theme and decor, some of the venue names are different. Entertainment is different. But if you have never been on either ship, I'd just go with the one which is the best deal as far as price and cabin.

This is not at all true. There are several new venues on this ship that are not on the Getaway. All things being equal I would go with the Escape. You will get everything on the Getaway plus some new venues.

6&8

We have never sailed ncl so I can only speak to room type....we too said we don't spend much time in the room and for us it is all about getting on board so we have even done an upper/lower lol....that being said we love having a balcony when we can. We will grab breakfast and go sit out there....relax for a few minutes before bed, or read while waiting for your spouse to get ready. We love relaxing as opposed to being out in the party, so sail away we are on our balcony. Of you were comparing, say, an older ship like sky to escape I would say choose the ship, but both ships look similar and new enough I would do the balcony!

This is not at all true. There are several new venues on this ship that are not on the Getaway. All things being equal I would go with the Escape. You will get everything on the Getaway plus some new venues.

6&8

Actually, some features like the Ice Bar and the Illusionarium will not be on the Escape. Getaway and Escape are both "Breakaway" class ships. The Escape will have some unique features just as the Getaway has features that differ from the Breakaway. But it is the same basic design on all three ships. It's a toss up which ship of the three would be someones's favorite, which is why I suggested just going with the best deal.

The pool deck area on Escape will be much more open than Getaway, as it's been redesigned.

Do you have children traveling with you? I think the entertainment (Illusionarium) on Getaway would appeal to kids more than the entertainment on Escape. Also, kids club on Getaway is deck 12 & 13, whereas it is deck 5 on Escape, if that makes a difference for any reason.

• 2 years later...