Everything.. Norwegian JOY! Delivery spring 2017

FreestyleNovice

20ud16q.png

As per request, I and others CCers proudly present you the Everything.. Bliss thread!

:D Feel free here to speculate, share, discuss and fanboy the next NCL ship, Norwegian Bliss! :D

The second ship in NCL's Breakaway Plus class after Norwegian Escape (launched october 2015). Norwegian Escape has Miami as homeport and serves the Caribbean year round.

The Plus class is based upon the successful Breakaway class (Norwegian Breakaway april 2013 and Norwegian Getaway february 2014). Norwegian Breakaway is homeported in New York and Norwegian Getaway in Miami, both year round.

Norwegian Bliss in facts:

Type: Breakaway-Plus class

Tonnage: 163,000 GT

Length: 324 metres

Beam: 41 metres

Decks: 20 decks

Propulsion: 2 azipods

Speed: 22.5 knots

Capacity: 4,200

Crew: 1,700

Get up to date in one minute:

* Second largest NCL ship ever, named via a contest. Unnamed third and fourth ship in Plus class are also on order.

* Being build indoor at Meyer Werft, Papenburg, Germany. Steel cutting began 15th of september, 2015. The shipyard offers tours with a view into the large building hall.

* Expected to have all features Norwegian Escape has, such as extra deck versus Breakaway class, expanded Waterfront, three story rope course, two story pool bar, deeper balconies than on Breakaway class and many more.

* Homeport to be announced. Rumors and wishes are Europe, Asia?

* Hull art to be announced.

* Deckplans to be announced.

* Norwegian Bliss will have a ducktail which Escape hasn't, for improved handling.

This thread will be made by it's posters and their contributions about the ship in any way and form, found something new online about her; post it! Please do share anything you may find as we are a social community with a common interest.

In this early stage the thread is focused on announcements, build, uncovering new stuff and when the launch gets near a lot of future Bliss cruisers and their questions about will tune in. All equally interesting and hoping all will get along. Now let's stalk that build and speculate on!

Up front I would like to thank all for making this series of threads a succes! :)

1zvyjqs.png

Steel cut for Norwegian Bliss

By Tom Stieghorst / September 15, 2015

T0921BLISS_TS_HR.jpg?n=5833&origwidth=1540&origheight=866&origmode=crop&Anchor=MiddleCenter&width=750&height=422&scale=both&mode=crop

PAPENBURG, Germany — Construction of Norwegian Bliss began here with the push of a large red button, sending automated plasma steel cutters into action on the first plates for the ship, due for completion in 2017.

Among the first items cut was a 2-foot outline of the ship, inscribed Norwegian Bliss. Executives from Norwegian Cruise Line and the Mayer Werft shipyard signed the commemorative plate, mounted on an easel outside the cutting room.

“To be cutting the steel for our next new ship is very exciting,” said Norwegian President Andy Stuart. “Norwegian has gone through a lot of changes over the last year and this will be the first ship delivered for the new Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings.”

Meyer Werft managing director Bernard Meyer noted that Bliss will be the 10th ship built for Norwegian at Meyer Werft, which has become one of the most advanced cruise ship construction operations in Europe.

He said the yard expects to deliver the new ship, designated 694 at the yard, in the spring of 2017. “It will be a surprise for the market again,” Meyer predicted.

Norwegian’s latest ship, the 4,200-passenger Norwegian Escape, is scheduled to begin its conveyance from Papenburg down the Ems River to the North Sea on Friday. Plans call for the Escape to enter service in Miami in early November.

Source: http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Steel-cut-for-Norwegian-Bliss

Anybody hear anything about WHERE the Bliss may be home ported? I have heard Port Canaveral, China, & Miami....

Big Al

Well, Norwegian Star leaves Asia the same moment Bliss will be launched (march 2017), see my post on the Star's route in an Asia thread.

But also none of the Breakaway or Plus class ships sailed in the prime location for growth market Europe, the Mediterranean. NCL has been shifting things with moving their UK office from London to Southampton, so don't forget the Brits (and Germans as 2nd large group) for the Southampton potential.

It could be any port at this moment.

Could this be a clue as to where she will be deployed ?

Don't think so but Barnacle will chime in I hope.

The one really tell tail could be an open or closed Haven complex but NCL will probably only order enclosed ones, making Getaway an one off. Escape (and Bliss being copy pasted in some renders) was presented open on the renders but has gotten an enclosed Haven complex.

Perhaps the hull art announcement will be done together with her homeport announcement, might take some time before NCL will reveal anything I fear. :)

Well, Norwegian Star leaves Asia the same moment Bliss will be launched (march 2017), see my post on the Star's route in an Asia thread.

But also none of the Breakaway or Plus class ships sailed in the prime location for growth market Europe, the Mediterranean. NCL has been shifting things with moving their UK office from London to Southampton, so don't forget the Brits (and Germans as 2nd large group) for the Southampton potential.

It could be any port at this moment.

Yes, forgot about the UK..also maybe Barcelona?

Yes, forgot about the UK..also maybe Barcelona?

Spanish are the largest demographic on the Barcelona sailings, but not sure which benefit it would have over the exposure an Asian deployment would generate.

Serving the Brits and nearby Germans on a would be adding a true extra. Also not sure about capacity, as the Med in winter seems to experience a surplus the last years, hence Epic pulling back and only one NCL ship year round. It's quite an puzzle as Europe is not ready for the capacity of two mega ships at this time or in the near future, despite steady, but slow, growth.

All just my armchair vision. ;)

Edited by FreestyleNovice

Like you Freestyle, I'm hoping for a nice 2/3 day passage somewhere for the first fee paying sailing as per the Escape! [emoji4] I am hoping it being a spring deployment that the Bliss will stay in Europe at least until October and then who knows?!

My bet is BLISS will sail directly to China and sail exclusively for that market. I'm guessing there will be some modifications to the design to support that market as well. No one wants to miss out on the cash cow that China has become, and NCL is already late to the party.

My bet is BLISS will sail directly to China and sail exclusively for that market. I'm guessing there will be some modifications to the design to support that market as well. No one wants to miss out on the cash cow that China has become, and NCL is already late to the party.

It is very likely that Bliss will go to China. However, I wonder if NCL is willing to commit such a big ship to a place that they have never cruised from before. Maybe they will only commit for one season to see how things go or perhaps a summer in Europe.

I really don't see how NCL can based another away or away+ ship in the US. I don't think that the market is there unless they decide to do the Port Canaveral - Bermuda route during the summer.

It is very likely that Bliss will go to China. However, I wonder if NCL is willing to commit such a big ship to a place that they have never cruised from before. Maybe they will only commit for one season to see how things go or perhaps a summer in Europe.

I really don't see how NCL can based another away or away+ ship in the US. I don't think that the market is there unless they decide to do the Port Canaveral - Bermuda route during the summer.

As a Floridian, I would LOVE to see Bliss home port at PC and do Bermuda in the summer and Caribbean in the winter. It'd be great competition for Oasis and Disney. I just really want a Bermuda route from FL...

I wonder if she'll split her deployment in the Asia / Australia seasons. She's definitely heading to Asia but the question becomes keeping her there year round might be difficult but she could head Down Under. The hull art could be half Aussie inspired and half Asian inspired. Maybe a Temple of Angkor Wat outline along with a kangaroo? Might not flow quit well but a thought. :cool: