interesting info: Vista sep 3-9 sailing...

sid_9169

I just heard via a passenger on board the Vista sailing, that has been in limbo trying to make it back to Miami... Apparently they are offering passengers on board an option to stay on for another week, due to the fact that most of the passengers that were to board on September 9th (I am among those would be passengers) will not be able to make it to Miami tomorrow when the Vista returns to POM... So, basically it looks like Carnival is mostly stiffing customers like myself with a future cruise credit, while allowing non-paying customers to stay on board until next Sunday, only paying taxes and gratuities...

So you feel slighted that Carnival is keeping people safe by letting them stay on if they want to, when you have the option to rebook in the future (with no cancellation penalty). The cruise going out tomorrow is shortened anyway, so what's the problem? You paid initially for a 6-8 day cruise and they gave you the entire credit back.... Therefore, you should be happy that they even offered you the credit to begin with.

Actually, I do feel slighted a bit by the fact that they're offering a free cruise to those who didn't pay, while offering a "cruise credit" rather than a refund for those who did pay, but did not cruise...

So you feel slighted that Carnival is keeping people safe by letting them stay on if they want to, when you have the option to rebook in the future (with no cancellation penalty). The cruise going out tomorrow is shortened anyway, so what's the problem? You paid initially for a 6-8 day cruise and they gave you the entire credit back.... Therefore, you should be happy that they even offered you the credit to begin with.

Life is full of inequities. Ask everyone on a flight what they paid, for that matter, anyone on your sailing. Point is, all that should matter is what you pay. They are trying to fill a ship, how would you feel if you were getting a much better price than the people they were trying to keep on.

Actually, I do feel slighted a bit by the fact that they're offering a free cruise to those who didn't pay, while offering a "cruise credit" rather than a refund for those who did pay, but did not cruise...

:loudcry::loudcry::loudcry::loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

Yes, I would definitely prefer that those people return to their homes that may or may not have power, or attempt to get on a flight that may or may not be taking off. How dare Carnival provide them a place to stay in the midst of the aftermath of a natural disaster!

(/endsarcasm)

Seriously, I think it's great that they are getting the option to stay on board.

I just heard via a passenger on board the Vista sailing, that has been in limbo trying to make it back to Miami... Apparently they are offering passengers on board an option to stay on for another week, due to the fact that most of the passengers that were to board on September 9th (I am among those would be passengers) will not be able to make it to Miami tomorrow when the Vista returns to POM... So, basically it looks like Carnival is mostly stiffing customers like myself with a future cruise credit, while allowing non-paying customers to stay on board until next Sunday, only paying taxes and gratuities...

I see your point.

This is not any different than if you take something back to Target, Wal Mart or Best Buy. You will get a gift card in the amount of what you paid. Do you complain when they do that?

Only get gift card if you lost the receipt. Don't think she lost her receipt from CCL. Many don't get to recover extra vacation days. I think a full cash refund is in order. A 25% future cruise credit would be nice also.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Only get gift card if you lost the receipt. Don't think she lost her receipt from CCL. Many don't get to recover extra vacation days. I think a full cash refund is in order. A 25% future cruise credit would be nice also.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I know for a fact Best Buy will not do anything without a receipt. At least at my local Wal-Mart or Target, you will get it back on your card if within a couple of days, but otherwise you get a gift card.

AS long as you book the cruise within the time limit they set, you can take any cruise at any time.

So Carnival is supposed to kick everyone off. Let them fend for themselves. If they live in the area they most likely don't have electricity, some roads are still impassable, and it's hot. Ask me how I know! If they have to drive... good luck, there's no gas. No hotel rooms, people with no power have booked them all, it's the 2nd wave of evacuations - No power? Yep, let's bug out. Restaurants aren't open, very few grocery stores are open, and forget about stopping at a rest area unless you have a hazmat suit. So that's what you want Carnival to dump the passengers out into? Kinda cold hearted. Come on down, see for yourself. Once the hurricane is gone it's not over.

First World problem here :rolleyes: We have family down in FL staying in a shelter sleeping on cots eating meager meals. At their homes there's no power, trees down, no gas, flooded roads, debris scattered everywhere etc etc .....

Sigh .... there's little to bring joy returning to Floridians. :loudcry:

And it's still in limbo as they have found 2 sailboats in the Channel that have to be removed before they can open Port. Looking at late afternoon possibly.

Take the future cruise credit and make the best out of what Mother Nature has dealt the people of South Florida.

So, basically it looks like Carnival is mostly stiffing customers like myself with a future cruise credit, while allowing non-paying customers to stay on board until next Sunday, only paying taxes and gratuities...

just re-read what you posted over and over. gosh, you sound so bitter as people around you have lost lives, homes, all possessions and their lives are completely upside down.

in the grand scheme of life, do YOUR 6 or 8 days really matter?

here's something for you to ponder: if you live to be 75, that'd give you 27,375 days alive on earth. Eight days of those 27k+ equals 0.0002922. That's 0.02922% of you life.

think about it.

I mean they kept these folks safe, and you are I'm sure getting the refund credit, so it is what it is.

There are no winners in this thread, sadly.

OP is angry about a lot of things, including a lost vacation opportunity.

People in the affected area of the cruise port have lost much more, and it sounds like the cruise that was to be would be next to impossible to get to anyway. There would certainly be hazards and risks trying to get to the port,

People on the cruise now have been kept from returning to see the devastation and damage to their properties, albeit in the luxury of a cruise ship. Imagine not knowing if your house still has a roof or not, and no way to find out for sure? Hard to begrudge them a few more days of air conditioning and clean running water.

Whatever Carnival offered, it wouldn't be enough. People will feel what they feel, and few are able to get past their own losses to see the pain of others.

I'm sorry for your lost cruise. I hope when you do book again, everything goes smoothly.

But my sympathy is squarely in the corner of those whose lives have been shattered by the forces of nature.

If you were ON the ship..SCORE. (insert envy)

So...

sometimes you're the WINDSHIELD

sometimes you're the BUG

And sometimes your luck/life is such that you are always the bug. (insert Hee Haw song here: if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...gloom, despair and agony on me..:raspberry:p)

Well these Boards have certainly proved one thing, this country is filled with more hateful, self-absorbed, ignorant people than I realized. Luckily, most of the people here greatly outnumber them. My thanks to the good folks on here.

Just heard from a crew member on the Vista earlier this evening. He works in the Horizon Dinning Room. The ship headed back out on its modified itinerary today with only 820 passengers on board. So if based on what the OP said about an offer for people to stay on-board from the previous cruise, it doesn't sound like a lot of people took the offer. He didn't say anything about them being existing or new passengers.