9:45 flight out of Miami to early for Carnival Vista in Miami ??

sue1138

I was wondering what people thought of a departing flight at 9:45 leavin Miami .

I always do self assist and I'm pretty sure I can make that flight. I understand sometimes the boat could arrive late. But I cruised a dozen times and I seem to be off the boat within an hour. What are your thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was wondering what people thought of a departing flight at 9:45 leavin Miami .

I always do self assist and I'm pretty sure I can make that flight. I understand sometimes the boat could arrive late. But I cruised a dozen times and I seem to be off the boat within an hour. What are your thoughts??

That would be too early for me to risk. It may be possible to do, but everything will have to go perfectly. One traffic delay and you miss your flight. What if the security lines at the airport or backed up that day? I can think of a half dozen things that could easily cause you to miss that flight. JMHO.

If you do self assist, you will make it to the airport before the mad rush of people so security lines will be minimal. Here is what I wrote in my Vista review:

Debarkation was quick and painless. Platinums met in the dining room at 6:45am and we were off the ship shortly thereafter. 2 min wait at customs, summoned an Uber, and were at the airport at about 7:15am. 5 min wait through TSA Precheck and here we are.

And my Glory Cruise last October:

We were given a letter to meet in the Golden Dining Room at 7:15 AM for Platinum self assist. I figured I would wait until around then before heading there as every other time there had been a wait. Well at 6:45 AM Saffie announced that they were doing self assist for Decks 1 and 2. Guess D/P/FTTF had already gone by then. Luckily I was already packed and headed out. About 4-5 people in front of me to get off the ship. 2 lines were open Deck 3 forward. It went very fast, no line at Customs.

Checked one bag at the airport since there wasn't really a line outside (except I got delayed by a family that had to rearrange clothes in their overweight bag). Breezed through TSA PreCheck and here I sit. From stepping off the ship to sitting at the gate in under an hour.

Most recently last month from Conquest:

Let’s go to the end of the cruise [/font]:(. I did self assist and was given instructions to meet in the Renoir (Midship) dining room at 6:15. I got a little bit of a late start because I was trying to fit my makeup and stuff into my tote bag along with all these shot glasses I had accumulated and things weren’t fitting as well as I was anticipating. Finally got situated and as I was walking out the door I’d say about 6:20, they started calling for Decks 10 and 11 self assist. Missed the Priority stuff once again. Hey at least I’m consistent! Start the cruise late, end the cruise late! Took the glass elevator down to deck 3 and walked right off. Straight through Customs. No more forms, and no need for the Mobile Passport App (which I couldn’t do anyway because mine expires in less than 6 months). Summoned an Uber to FLL. He got a little lost coming into the port so that took a little longer than it should have but I wasn’t stressing. I had PLENTY of time. Tried to get an earlier flight as mine wasn’t until 10:45 AM, but couldn’t since I flew on points. No problem, I would just hang in the Delta Sky Lounge for a few hours. I was through security after checking my carry on sized bag (just becauseI can for free thanks to my Platinum Delta Skymiles credit card) at 7:19AM. If I ever go on another cruise out of PE and fly out of FLL, I wouldn’t hesitate to book the 8:45 AM flight.

Notice a pattern?

If you do self assist, you will make it to the airport before the mad rush of people so security lines will be minimal. Here is what I wrote in my Vista review:

Debarkation was quick and painless. Platinums met in the dining room at 6:45am and we were off the ship shortly thereafter. 2 min wait at customs, summoned an Uber, and were at the airport at about 7:15am. 5 min wait through TSA Precheck and here we are.

And my Glory Cruise last October:

We were given a letter to meet in the Golden Dining Room at 7:15 AM for Platinum self assist. I figured I would wait until around then before heading there as every other time there had been a wait. Well at 6:45 AM Saffie announced that they were doing self assist for Decks 1 and 2. Guess D/P/FTTF had already gone by then. Luckily I was already packed and headed out. About 4-5 people in front of me to get off the ship. 2 lines were open Deck 3 forward. It went very fast, no line at Customs.

Checked one bag at the airport since there wasn't really a line outside (except I got delayed by a family that had to rearrange clothes in their overweight bag). Breezed through TSA PreCheck and here I sit. From stepping off the ship to sitting at the gate in under an hour.

Most recently last month from Conquest:

Let’s go to the end of the cruise [/font]:(. I did self assist and was given instructions to meet in the Renoir (Midship) dining room at 6:15. I got a little bit of a late start because I was trying to fit my makeup and stuff into my tote bag along with all these shot glasses I had accumulated and things weren’t fitting as well as I was anticipating. Finally got situated and as I was walking out the door I’d say about 6:20, they started calling for Decks 10 and 11 self assist. Missed the Priority stuff once again. Hey at least I’m consistent! Start the cruise late, end the cruise late! Took the glass elevator down to deck 3 and walked right off. Straight through Customs. No more forms, and no need for the Mobile Passport App (which I couldn’t do anyway because mine expires in less than 6 months). Summoned an Uber to FLL. He got a little lost coming into the port so that took a little longer than it should have but I wasn’t stressing. I had PLENTY of time. Tried to get an earlier flight as mine wasn’t until 10:45 AM, but couldn’t since I flew on points. No problem, I would just hang in the Delta Sky Lounge for a few hours. I was through security after checking my carry on sized bag (just becauseI can for free thanks to my Platinum Delta Skymiles credit card) at 7:19AM. If I ever go on another cruise out of PE and fly out of FLL, I wouldn’t hesitate to book the 8:45 AM flight.

Notice a pattern?

You support your position on this well. Me, I still wouldn't do it. I guess I'm more of a pessimist than you. :)

You support your position on this well. Me, I still wouldn't do it. I guess I'm more of a pessimist than you. :)

[emoji3]. I can’t stand sitting around the airport. Last time in MIA I nearly froze to death. Plus all those obnoxious people and uncomfortable chairs. Ugh!

The first time I had an early flight, I was a little worried, but now that I have quite a few under my belt (more than I posted) I know how it operates and am fine. Can delays happen? Sure. But if the ship is that late coming in, even a flight around noon probably won’t be made. If I don’t get home on time, oh well. My house will be there. Now if I’m late for the ship, that’s another story!

If you are well prepared, you don’t have to waste time at the airport and can get cheaper flights. It’s a win-win.

[emoji3]. I can’t stand sitting around the airport. Last time in MIA I nearly froze to death. Plus all those obnoxious people and uncomfortable chairs. Ugh!

The first time I had an early flight, I was a little worried, but now that I have quite a few under my belt (more than I posted) I know how it operates and am fine. Can delays happen? Sure. But if the ship is that late coming in, even a flight around noon probably won’t be made. If I don’t get home on time, oh well. My house will be there. Now if I’m late for the ship, that’s another story!

If you are well prepared, you don’t have to waste time at the airport and can get cheaper flights. It’s a win-win.

You sound like my wife, as she is cold natured natured too.:) I honestly don't mind sitting around at the airport. The people watching is usually fairly entertaining. I guess the biggest thing with me on the issue of early flights is I hate feeling rushed. We did the early embarkation once and I hated it. I prefer to enjoy a leisurely breakfast and remain in vacay mode until I get home. We did almost miss a flight out once, so I suppose that enters a little bit into my feelings on this too, though the rush thing is still the biggest factor. Perhaps "almost miss" is an exaggeration. We made it by fifteen or twenty minutes, but my stress factor was high enough that it felt like a near miss. I'm sometimes a bit of a worrier in situations where a lot of things are out of my control. But yes, the savings factor is there for early flights, for sure, if one is of the temperament to not stress about it.

You sound like my wife, as she is cold natured natured too.:) I honestly don't mind sitting around at the airport. The people watching is usually fairly entertaining. I guess the biggest thing with me on the issue of early flights is I hate feeling rushed. We did the early embarkation once and I hated it. I prefer to enjoy a leisurely breakfast and remain in vacay mode until I get home. We did almost miss a flight out once, so I suppose that enters a little bit into my feelings on this too, though the rush thing is still the biggest factor. Perhaps "almost miss" is an exaggeration. We made it by fifteen or twenty minutes, but my stress factor was high enough that it felt like a near miss. I'm sometimes a bit of a worrier in situations where a lot of things are out of my control. But yes, the savings factor is there for early flights, for sure, if one is of the temperament to not stress about it.

I think women in general are cold natured [emoji846].

I’m of the mindset that when I wake up, vacation is over. I never sleep well the night before anyway so just want to get it over with and get home. I haven’t felt stressed or rushed getting off the ship because I’m well prepared. I will never take a transfer bus or van of any type and it’s quick and easy to get an Uber or as a last resort a taxi so there’s no waiting for others.

It’s not for everyone, but if it’s well thought out and executed, it is very doable. I realize there are people that simply can’t handle the “what if’s” or stress to the point of extreme worry and angst (although I cannot understand that way of thinking as I am not an overly sensitive person and I can’t imagine living like that) - not saying that’s you, but for the others who say they would be thinking and stressing about it the whole cruise, lose sleep, and all that kind of stuff. And for them, it’s best to stick with later times.

What works for some won’t work for others. But if you can handle the perceived pressure, an early flight like that is most certainly more times than not achievable.

My theory on questions like this is you have to ask yourself "do you feel lucky"

Yes you "probably" can make it. You must need to be prepared to accept the consequences/cost/hassle etc. if you don't. If you are willing to take the gamble can only be decided by you.

I am in the group that says that's cutting it too close, and I am willing to gamble a little with flight times myself....but that is really pushing it.

Just make sure you got the check book in case the stars fall out of alignment.

For those of you that say it’s too early why do you think so? Do you normally do self assist or put your bags out? Do you take your time having breakfast on the ship? What time do you normally leave? Do you take transfers? Have you tried it and were unsuccessful? I will add that I wouldn’t try it out of Galveston or Tampa where they have been known for delays due to fog or whatnot. But for Miami or PE, I feel perfectly fine.

I know Carnival recommends flights of noon or later but that I think is in large part due to new cruisers not knowing what to expect, the assumption that you will put your bags out the night before and therefore have to hunt for them, etc. Also it covers themselves in case it does take a little longer to disembark everyone. It’s better to give a later time than an earlier one. If they told people the magic time was 10:00AM, it could make them look bad if there were a snafu. Also those times were put in place before self assist was as popular. Heck maybe even before they had such a thing.

Again, I realize that not everyone has faith in either themselves or the universe in allowing them to make a flight before noon, but yes you can thousands more times than you can’t. It’s whether or not you have the cojones to actually do it. Could there be a hiccup? Yep. Could there be a hiccup on a flight after 12:00pm and you get delayed or canceled? Yep. Could the ship come in late and you miss your 1PM flight? Yep. There are so many possibilities for things to go wrong, but most of the time they don’t.

No luck is needed. But knowing what to do when is. So for those that would rather have a root canal than attempt a perfectly fine flight before noon, I have an experiment for you:

Next cruise, have everything packed except what you need in the AM. Get up early, and carry all your luggage off the ship at the designated time they start self assist, grab an Uber, and go directly to the airport. Check your bags curbside and go through security. See what time you arrive at your gate and enjoy your over 5 hours sitting there waiting. You probably could have been home by the time you start boarding. Once you do it, you’ll see it’s not stressful, and totally within reason. If you have conditions that would keep you from doing those things, then by all means book later. It’s really not as hair brained, bat poop crazy as some like to think it is. But if it’s not for you, it’s not for you. That doesn’t mean it can’t or shouldn’t be done. Or anyone who does is foolish. To me wasting time at the airport is more so, but that’s me.

I have no stress or worry when debarkation day comes. But then again I have always been very independent and can take care of myself and don’t let emotions get in the way.

I am Platinum and always in the first group off the ship, and out of all my cruises have always been to the airport in plenty of time to make that flight EXCEPT TWICE.

Once the entire ship was held for some unknown customs reason and we did not start getting off the ship until almost 9am

One other time we had hired a shared shuttle and was delayed at the port waiting for a missing rider, and then the @$%@^ van broke down on way to airport.

That's why I say I wouldn't risk it...CAUSE IT DOES HAPPEN. I personally don't want to take the risk of having one of these happen and dealing with the frustration and headache we went through.

99 time out of 100 you are fine...you just need to know that there is a certain level of risk involved and you have to be willing to deal with it.

Of course I am probably the only person (or in the very minor majority) on the cruise critic board right now to have been on the one ship Carnival ever ran aground off shore and got the ship stuck for months... Had to empty the entire ship by ferry boat and fly us home from a foreign port..so maybe it is just my bad luck.

Point is $%@^# happens.;p

I am Platinum and always in the first group off the ship, and out of all my cruises have always been to the airport in plenty of time to make that flight EXCEPT TWICE.

Once the entire ship was held for some unknown customs reason and we did not start getting off the ship until almost 9am

One other time we had hired a shared shuttle and was delayed and the port waiting for a missing rider, and then the @$%@^ van broke down on way to airport.

That's why I say I wouldn't risk it...CAUSE IT DOES HAPPEN. I personally don't want to take the risk of having one of these happen and dealing with the frustration and headache we went through.

99 time out of 100 you are fine...you just need to know that there is a certain level of risk involved and you have to be willing to deal with it.

Of course I am probably the only person (or in the very minor majority) on the cruise critic board right now to have been on the one ship Carnival ever ran aground off shore and got the ship stuck for months... Had to empty the entire ship by ferry boat and fly us home from a foreign port..so maybe it is just my bad luck.

Point is $%@^# happens.;p

Running aground would be super scary!

Another reason not to take a shuttle. Thanks for the reminder [emoji846].

I can imagine if the ship were held up that long, the airport had to be a complete nightmare that late and it was probably difficult to even make a flight around noon unless you didn’t need to check a bag. Which I also forgot to add, I travel with one carry on sized suitcase and a tote bag so just in case things run behind, I can skip the bag check in and go right to security using TSA Precheck.

You might be right about being bad luck. I’ll have to try and avoid the same sailings as you [emoji23][emoji56].

Running aground would be super scary!

Another reason not to take a shuttle. Thanks for the reminder [emoji846].

I can imagine if the ship were held up that long, the airport had to be a complete nightmare that late and it was probably difficult to even make a flight around noon unless you didn’t need to check a bag. Which I also forgot to add, I travel with one carry on sized suitcase and a tote bag so just in case things run behind, I can skip the bag check in and go right to security using TSA Precheck.

You might be right about being bad luck. I’ll have to try and avoid the same sailings as you [emoji23][emoji56].

Yep..its a wonder I even stuck with cruising. First cruise I got sick as a dog with the flu by the first night (nothing to do with ship) and spent entire cruise miserable in bed.

2nd cruise on the Holiday they ran her aground on the reef...boy the stories I could tell you about that experience. Swore we would never cruise again.... about two years later for I got the bug again and told my husband why not give it a shot. I figured at that point my bad luck had to be spent and for it to be any worse the thing would have to sink lol!....

Glad we stuck it out...been cruising ever since and love it.

No checked bags and a taxi make it much faster and good suggestion to make an early flight.

Yep..its a wonder I even stuck with cruising. First cruise I got sick as a dog with the flu by the first night (nothing to do with ship) and spent entire cruise miserable in bed.

2nd cruise on the Holiday they ran her aground on the reef...boy the stories I could tell you about that experience. Swore we would never cruise again.... about two years later for I got the bug again and told my husband why not give it a shot. I figured at that point my bad luck had to be spent and for it to be any worse the thing would have to sink lol!....

Glad we stuck it out...been cruising ever since and love it.

No checked bags and a taxi make it much faster and good suggestion to make an early flight.

I would love to hear the stories. Maybe on land at a port as long as we weren’t on the same ship! Just kidding.

I wouldn't book anything before noon, but that's just me.

I'm PLATINUM and I do self debark, but being a contractor in So Cal for 35 years . . . I think only about Murphy's Law. "Whatever can go wrong . . . will . . . at the worst possible time" Too many Murphys for me, ship late, ship clearance delayed, traffic to airport, cupcakes acting up, etc.:D

I would rather catch a 1:35 flight out of Miami on my way to LAX or LAS from Miami, than risk missing a flight. This puts me landing around 9:30 to 10:00 PST with an hour for baggage pickup and an hour ride home maybe get home around midnite ! Oh well, that's life. :rolleyes: (once had to book a flight out of Bush in Houston at 10:30pm on Spirit YET, and I'll never do that again - NEVER AGAIN on Spirit)

On the west coast side, I've seen a tanker turn over on the 405 and stop traffic from the cruise terminal to LAX for hours. It's all in how adventurous you may want to be. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.:)

On my very first cruise out of Galveston, there was fog in the port and we couldn't dock until after noon. Got off the boat around 230 I think. I had many conversations with fellow passengers that were missing their flights. Ever since then I just wouldn't do it. I like to take my time on the last day anyway. I like to have breakfast when it isn't quite so crowded, one more cup of coffee, etc.... On my next cruise, I chose to do fly2fun. I ended up with a 3:30 pm flight out of Miami. Later than I wanted but I can either get off the ship and find something to do for a few hours or take my time on the ship and be the last one off. We can have lunch at the airport before the flight. Either way is fine with me. I will still be back in Denver by 6:30 pm.

We have made a 930 several times, it also depends on how many ships are in port because Miami airport can be a zoo.

I personally would not....out of my 9 cruises, 2 of them were late in starting the debarkation process. The self assists didn't get to start until 8:30a and 9:00am. I don't know the reasons.

I usually like to be the last off the ship...but I also stay in town that last day and fly out the next.

I don't like stressful situations, so I try to avoid them at all costs

We did a 10am flight out of Miami off the Escape. Made it to the airport and thru customs with enough time to eat breakfast at the subway in the terminal. Key is to make sure you get in the walk off line early.

Sent from my iPad using Forums