Can You Bring Sandwiches from Home on an Airplane

kitty9

I checked the TSA website about bringing food onto a plane, but they don't specifically mention things like sandwiches from home. Jello, whipped cream, fruit cups, yes, but no mention about sandwiches. My mom will be flying to London with us, and she's a very picky eater and won't eat the food on the plane. We were wondering if we could take a homemade chicken sandwich for her to eat on the plane? Will that go through security?

Thanks for any information.

I checked the TSA website about bringing food onto a plane, but they don't specifically mention things like sandwiches from home. Jello, whipped cream, fruit cups, yes, but no mention about sandwiches. My mom will be flying to London with us, and she's a very picky eater and won't eat the food on the plane. We were wondering if we could take a homemade chicken sandwich for her to eat on the plane? Will that go through security?

Thanks for any information.

Yes-even a small cooler with sandwiches is allowed. Just make sure they are in clear plastic bags in case you have to take them out for inspection.

I don't know why the other poster had a problem at LAX, as sandwiches are clearly allowed.

In the last year or so, I, or one of my kids or husband, have brought our own food (sandwiches, fruit and chips) through with no problems at the following airports:

Seattle

Copenhagen

Nice

Rome

Chicago

San Francisco

Atlanta

Ft. Lauderdale

Miami

St. Louis

Dulles

Jacksonville

JFK

Halifax

Toronto

Brussels

and the list goes on

Just make sure food is securely wrapped in a ziplock bag and you should have no problem with your mom's sandwich.

I can tell you that from LAX, No..... No food allowed that was not purchased in the airport and in sealed containers.

I fly into and out of LAX monthly (as well as JFK/LGA/MCI/PHX). Have taken food even from restaurants in the area around LAX (a FA I know wanted a couple of In-N-Out burgers) and have had food delivered from SkyMeals, which are delivered to the airport.

http://skymeals.com/

I usually fly first, so get some food on the plane if I want it. But there have been times when I have been rushing from business meetings and wanted something FAST. I have even taken partially eaten sandwiches in a baggie through security (terminal 4 or TBIT usually). Got a couple of strange looks at my partially eaten sandwich laying on top of my shoes in a baggie, but absolutely no problems. If you have had the experience at LAX where they have not allowed sandwiches, MAKE a complaint to TSA. It is a violation of their security procedures to deny you a sandwich.

I don't know why the other poster had a problem at LAX, as sandwiches are clearly allowed.

In the last year or so, I, or one of my kids or husband, have brought our own food (sandwiches, fruit and chips) through with no problems at the following airports:

Seattle

Copenhagen

Nice

Rome

Chicago

San Francisco

Atlanta

Ft. Lauderdale

Miami

St. Louis

Dulles

Jacksonville

JFK

Halifax

Toronto

Brussels

and the list goes on

Just make sure food is securely wrapped in a ziplock bag and you should have no problem with your mom's sandwich.

Seriously?????? You got food through???? I flew Dec. 06,

April 07, Nov. 07 and none of those times would they let me have food. I've tried and then when I throw it out, I go to the restaurants in the airport and get my food.

What kind of food are you trying to get through? I have never had a problem carrying things like sandwiches, fruit, granola bars, nuts, etc in my carryon. And this was on flights from LAX, DFW, FLL, DAL, HOU, SAN, etc

I've brought all kinds of food through - especially sandwiches. My mom likes to make sure I'm well fed when I go down to visit. :rolleyes:

I've brought burgers, meat loaf sandwiches, lasagna, banana bread, cookies, as you can tell, just about everything. Of course, I agree, anything liquidy or of a gel type consistency won't fly. So to speak.

Ok, this is unreal...... I'm starting to feel singled out...lol.... I brought a sandwich. A turkey on wheat to be exact. With chips and a bottled water. They made me throw it all out. The first time I thought it was related to the water/3 oz thing... So the last 2 times, I brought just the food.... I could not bring any food on the plane. I did sneak a slimfast bar in the carry on.....

We're flying Upper Class on Virgin out of Chicago, and we will bring something from home for mom to nosh on during the flight. Thanks for the information

Even with mom being a "picky eater" I'm not quite sure why you would be doing that since Virgin provides some pretty good food in Upper Class. You will also be able to use the JAL lounge at ORD and there will be some snacks available before your flight.

More info on Virgin Upper Class HERE. Includes a sample onboard menu. I gotta believe it beats a chicken sandwich.

I have brought food/snacks for my child at many airports, but sometimes it is not allowed and other times it is. The explanation I received from Lambert (St. Louis) was that it depended on what the security level was at the airport. Right after the London bombings we were lucky that our bodies got passed security with the threat level so high. I think that may be why some say yes and no. The higher the threat level the less you can bring.

Ok, this is unreal...... I'm starting to feel singled out...lol.... I brought a sandwich. A turkey on wheat to be exact. With chips and a bottled water. They made me throw it all out. The first time I thought it was related to the water/3 oz thing... So the last 2 times, I brought just the food.... I could not bring any food on the plane. I did sneak a slimfast bar in the carry on.....

You must hit the checkpoint when the TSA agents are hungry. :)

I always have food with me (allergies, have to be careful) and have had no problems at LAX although I do try to avoid things that have too much dressing.

My only concern about a chicken sandwich would be keeping in chilled and safe to eat.

Archived