Looks like I need to postpone my trip and I'm inside the 45 days.

bizeemom4

My mother in law just got word that she's terminal - doctors said that they can't pinpoint it but it could be 6 days or 6 weeks. So I really shouldn't go on my cruise in 32 days.

In looking at the cancellation policies, I lose 50% of the fare. I guess it will do me no good to call and ask if we can rebook at a later date without losing all that money. I don't have trip insurance.

I guess it will do me no good to call and ask if we can rebook at a later date without losing all that money.

Why not? Worst they can say is no. Try and get a supervisor on the line.

Sorry about your mother in law. :(

If Carnival won't let you postpone, I suggest talking to your mother in law... Perhaps she would want you to go... (not sure about your husband going though) My father was in a situation similar to yours... My grandmother was going downhill and my brothers wedding came around... 1/2 way across the US... my grandma wanted him to be there... she actually died the same day as the wedding.. although it was very hard for my dad (family) we were where she wanted us to be.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother in law. In 2005 my brother in law unexpectedly passed away almost a month before a cruise me and my husband had booked. We had a group of 8 all family going with us. With the grief of losing him we debated canceling our trip we just weren't in the mood for fun. We called Carnival and explained the situation to them, they gave us a choice of re-booking later or completely refunding our cruise for all of us. We didn't have the trip insurance either. If I remember right we did have to provide proof of the death and that we were family. In the end we all decided not to cancel we felt we needed to get away and leave the pain at home for a few days.....easier said then done however!

When it comes to something like that Carnival seems or at least used to seem to be reasonable and understanding. It doesn't hurt to give them a call.

Last September, we were going on our long awaited Disney cruise. My mother fell sick 2 weeks before we were scheduled to leave. She urged us to go, and reluctantly we made the drive to Port Canaveral, Florida. The next morning (the day we were to board the ship) we woke up and my sister called and said my mom had gotten worse overnight. I called Disney Cruise Line and explained my situation and asked if we could Postpone (not cancel) our trip. They were EXTREMELY sympathetic and kind to me. They allowed me to "park" my cruise a whole year later and I could adjust the date when I found out what was going to happen with my mother. Needless to say, we were relieved!! This was a $6000 trip!! But more importantly, my mom was sick. She needed me!! I felt so guilty for even leaving her. We made the 12hr drive back home, and I was able to spend the last 2 weeks of my mothers life... Right by her side.

I said all of that to say this... I truly believe Carnival will attempt to assist you in any way that they can. Your MIL's doctor may have to fax over something to Carnival about her condition. (Thats what we had to do) If the person you speak to isn't sympathetic, ask to speak to a supervisor or hang up and call again!

The other thing to think about is if you DO go on the cruise, and something happens while you are sailing.... You would need to have a backup plan to come home. I often think of the time that i would have missed with my mom if I would have gotten on the ship that day. And I'm so very grateful that I didn't.

I am sorry for your MIL's diagnosis. It is awful to go through. Refunds/credits all depend upon which type of rate you booked under also. early savers are not refundable after final payment. My sister was diagnosed with terminal cancer and had to cancel about 6 weeks prior to sailing and lost all of her money on that trip. Fortunately she had another planned for 2months after that she was able to get a credit on and later used for her last cruise. If you don't have insurance then they don't make many exceptions.

Called and got an agent that said that she could move it without having to lose the 50%. She really didn't even need to hear the reasons why I needed to change the trip. THEN she found the same itinerary for next year and the whole thing would actually be $600 cheaper with a different rate code! I would have to pay the $100 admin fee unless she could find someone who would waive it for me. So while I'm on hold having her checking on whether or not the fee could be waived, I was disconnected.

I just called back and got someone else who said that there's no way that they can do anything without me losing the money. Sorry about your situation but that's the policy.

So NOW I am upset.

My mother in law just got word that she's terminal - doctors said that they can't pinpoint it but it could be 6 days or 6 weeks. So I really shouldn't go on my cruise in 32 days.

In looking at the cancellation policies, I lose 50% of the fare. I guess it will do me no good to call and ask if we can rebook at a later date without losing all that money. I don't have trip insurance.

You have my sympathies. A lot of them.

Btw my FIL’s rollercoaster ride with Lymphoma (got him finally) and my MIL’s rollercoaster ride with multiple strokes, it’s been over 3-years we’ve been able to do anything without thinking of them and/or their care. In and out of hospitals (2 hospitals gave him the boot), nursing homes, hospice care, home health care, it doesn’t seem to end. I’m guessing my parents will start the process once my MIL rollercoaster ride is over.

Hope I’m wrong but I’m not thinking positively Carnival will do much.

At this point, we just throw caution to the wind, go on a vacation, no insurance and pray for the best. Whatever happens happens.

Good luck

Called and got an agent that said that she could move it without having to lose the 50%. She really didn't even need to hear the reasons why I needed to change the trip. THEN she found the same itinerary for next year and the whole thing would actually be $600 cheaper with a different rate code! I would have to pay the $100 admin fee unless she could find someone who would waive it for me. So while I'm on hold having her checking on whether or not the fee could be waived, I was disconnected.

I just called back and got someone else who said that there's no way that they can do anything without me losing the money. Sorry about your situation but that's the policy.

So NOW I am upset.

You definately have my sympathies.

This next part will sound cold hearted,,, but here goes..

Let us know how Carnival handles this. If they go outside policy,,, maybe I'll just have to call and cancel my insurance. Why should I pay insurance for things like this, if the cruiseline is going to waive policy anyway.

So NOW I am upset.

Call back and ask for a supervisor. If they say no, call back again and keep trying.

So NOW I am upset.

If you found one person who said they could do it, there's bound to be another one! Keep calling back until you find one. And tell them you are HAPPY to pay that $100 and not to put you on hold!

So NOW I am upset.

Next time, first thing....get the persons name and give them your info so if you get disconnected you can get back in touch.

Next time, first thing....get the persons name and give them your info so if you get disconnected you can get back in touch.

Oh no you call back and ask for a supervisor. And get their name. Sounds like the second person was just a robot and wasn't interested in trying to offer anything besides the standard answer. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

If Carnival won't let you postpone, I suggest talking to your mother in law... Perhaps she would want you to go... (not sure about your husband going though) My father was in a situation similar to yours... My grandmother was going downhill and my brothers wedding came around... 1/2 way across the US... my grandma wanted him to be there... she actually died the same day as the wedding.. although it was very hard for my dad (family) we were where she wanted us to be.

I agree. My uncle (who was in his eighties) recently passed away after an 18 month illness. He was confined to a hospital bed for the entire 18 months and was waiting to die. When he passed, it was a relief to the family that he was no longer suffering. My uncle's son (my cousin) had a daughter who had a vacation planned at the time of her grandfather's death. My cousin did not want his daughter to miss her trip and her grandfather wouldn't have either. So, she went on the trip, and my cousin arranged for the funeral to take place after she returned from her trip. It was a a decision that benefitted all involved. If a death is expected, in some ways, it may be less traumatic than a death that is sudden. In this case, there was not so much grieving, as there was relief that my uncle was in a better place and was no longer suffering. My cousin's daughter still got to go on her trip with her father's blessing, and a nice service for my uncle took place 7 days after his death when all immediate family attend.

I realize that this would not work for all families, but under the circumstances, delaying the funeral was the right thing to do after taking everything into consideration.

Be very wary when the doctors say it could be 6 days or 6 months. I sometimes wonder if they have a clue.

My Mom was given 3 months to live because her congestive heart failure was so bad. She ended up living almost 5 years and I got to take her on a cruise each of those last years.

On the other hand in December 2011 my father's doctor told me that physically he was doing well and would last for at least a couple of years, so we went cruising the next month. He died a week after we got home from the cruise.

I think it depends very much on the attitude of the ill individual. How will he/she react to loved ones not being there?

I was given my terminal diagnosis in mid-January, and have probably only a couple of months remaining (which will already be more than the predicted median survival time from diagnosis - metasticized pancreatic cancer is quick). I have made it clear to my children over and over that I do not want my demise, or the time shortly before, to interfere with their plans. Indeed, I would like them to remember me as I was, not as I am about to become. I do appreciate, though, that others may need the comfort of their children.

I would urge OP to try and figure out what mother-in-law's genuine wishes in regard to her children's absence might be.

I agree with billie's post above. On a personal note, my mother has now been on hospice for seven months. She has ben ill and in and out of skilled nursing facilities since 11/ 2011. She could die this week or next or last another few weeks. When I booked my cruise for sept 1 of this year I bought insurance for the first time ever because the doctors have been saying for weeks it could be anytime. Will I go if she passes the week before? Maybe if I can get the funeral before the date. I have had four other cruises since 11/11 that I was able to go on because when she was lucid she said no way do I want you to cancel. Will I rush home if she dies while I am on my cruise? Probably not cause I have to sign the internment papers and no one else can, and like the poster above said, they can keep the body. The real question for you and your spouse is to ask yourselves what would your mil want you to do and what does your own heart say you need to do so you dont feel guilty if you choose to go. I dont think carnival has to postpone or refund your money per the contract and i have seen other posters on cc where carnival and other cruise lines have not refunded their money no matter what was the reason.

My heart goes out to your family as I know what you are going through and there is no easy answer. Just remember whatever you decide to do it will be ok.

Marsha

I think it depends very much on the attitude of the ill individual. How will he/she react to loved ones not being there?

I was given my terminal diagnosis in mid-January, and have probably only a couple of months remaining (which will already be more than the predicted median survival time from diagnosis - metasticized pancreatic cancer is quick). I have made it clear to my children over and over that I do not want my demise, or the time shortly before, to interfere with their plans. Indeed, I would like them to remember me as I was, not as I am about to become. I do appreciate, though, that others may need the comfort of their children.

I would urge OP to try and figure out what mother-in-law's genuine wishes in regard to her children's absence might be.

Some children need to be there for their parents, whether the parents want them to change their plans or not.

Wishing you a peaceful passage on your upcoming voyage.

i BET THAT if you called Carnival...they would put the money in a credit situation...where you would not get it back..but could use it for a future cruise.

Sticking to the rules..but compassionate. I bet they would do that.

My heart goes out to you. someimes miracles happens. Pray for one.

Archived