Is a 14-day Transatlantic too long?

BoiiMcFly

As many of you know, I am a newbie when it comes to cruising. Would a 14 day TA be too long to begin with? I have seen many experienced cruisers point out that they get fed up after about 7-10 days. Will 2 weeks be overwhelming?

Edited by BoiiMcFly

As many of you know, I am a newbie when it comes to cruising. Would a 14 day TA be too long to begin with? I have seen many experienced cruisers point out that they get fed up after about 7-10 days. Will 2 weeks be overwhelming?

Oh my goodness. I was on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii over thanksgiving. Due to ship problems we were all flown home from Honolulu. I got home 2 days early and was I glad. 10 days is my max. I had a 15 day TA booked for April and I cancelled it as soon as I got home. Not everyone will agree with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends. I have never gotten tired of being at sea. Other folks, however, prefer cruises with more time in ports. I would not suggest a trans-Atlantic cruise for a first-time cruiser. But I'm sure some folks have done one and had a great time. Our longest cruise was 11 nights, but we took an Alaskan cruise tour that was a total of 13 nights. It was not too long for us. I'll be looking at some longer cruises now that we're retired.

Oh my goodness. I was on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii over thanksgiving. Due to ship problems we were all flown home from Honolulu. I got home 2 days early and was I glad. 10 days is my max. I had a 15 day TA booked for April and I cancelled it as soon as I got home. Not everyone will agree with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear you had problems on your cruise. If you don't mind me asking, why is 10 days your max? What do you start to dislike?

Edited by BoiiMcFly

I would not recommend a long TA for a first cruise. There are few ports of call and a lot of sea days that may be long for a first timer. I would suggest a seven night with about 3 ports of call for your first experience.

Ok thanks. I have to get across the ocean but don't enjoy flying. I guess I could look into QM2 since she only needs 7 days to cross the Atlantic.

The shortest TA is a 7 day QM2 Southampton-New York nonstop. Perhaps you should try that. Most TA's make several port calls in Europe before or after the crossing - giving greater interest.

Ask yourself: do you like being on a ship? If 7 days without a port call is too much, then ANY TA is not for you.

If you do like being on a ship, then it would not matter whether it was a TA or not.

Our first cruise was 22 days from Vancouver BC to Fort Lauderdale.

We chose due wanting to see the canal and trying it. Loved it and haven't stopped since.

How well you'll do depends at least partially on how good you are at entertaining yourself. Do you enjoy reading, listening to music (using headphones or ear buds please!), people watching, writing a journal, just watching the ocean? If not, if you need lots of structured entertainment, you may well get bored after 2-3 sea days. We happen to love the sea days (9 consecutive was our record so far!), but we're always ready to get off the ship by the end of the trip. Lots of sea days are not for everyone.

Our very first cruise ever, was a 15 night Panama Canal. We feel a 7 night cruise is about the shortest we'd prefer. Generally we cruise 7-10 night cruises, some longer. We did a 10 night Med B2B with a 14 night TransAtlantic, and that's been our longest ocean cruise so far.

Only issue I had was along about day 18-20 I got tired of having to pick something from the menu to eat every night. I just wanted a McDonald's burger, thank you.

Edited by Shmoo here

Our first cruise was 22 days from Vancouver BC to Fort Lauderdale.

We chose due wanting to see the canal and trying it. Loved it and haven't stopped since.

That's awesome. Starting with a 22 day cruise is a brave move, glad to see you made the right decision.

Our very first cruise ever, was a 15 night Panama Canal. We feel a 7 night cruise is about the shortest we'd prefer. Generally we cruise 7-10 night cruises, some longer. We did a 10 night Med B2B with a 14 night TransAtlantic, and that's been our longest ocean cruise so far.

Only issue I had was along about day 18-20 I got tired of having to pick something from the menu to eat every night. I just wanted a McDonald's burger, thank you.

Great info thanks. Yes, I understand. I see the Freedom class ships offer Johnny Rockets?! That's definitely a plus.

That's awesome. Starting with a 22 day cruise is a brave move, glad to see you made the right decision.

Although a long trip overall it also was a good balance of sea days and ports of call through an interesting change of scenery - which is not the case with a TA, even of shorter length. I think that makes a big difference.

I've found each individual person has a preference for port days or sea days. I have found that I love sea days. While the ports are fun I do like the relaxing days at sea. If you turn out to be more of a port lover then a TA may not be for you. My suggestion for a first time cruise would be to book something that has some port days. You will know immediately which you prefer and then can make the decision on the next cruise if you think 14 days at sea is right for you. Port people are going to find this boring. I myself would love to be able to do a TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok thanks. I have to get across the ocean but don't enjoy flying. I guess I could look into QM2 since she only needs 7 days to cross the Atlantic.

They increased from six to seven days. I've heard they might change it to eight days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have not been on a Trans Atlantic cruise "yet" but I think you would approach 10 - 14 days at sea differently (mentally) than 3 ports in a week just like when you fly 14 hours to China compared to a 2 hour flight or drive across North America.

Our first cruise was a Trans Atlantic - Barbados to Southampton - totally loved it - especially the sea days - where else do you get a chance to literally close the door on the world relax and switch off ? Second was a 15 day to Hawaii again loads of sea days which we enjoyed despite running into unforeseen problems, and our third will be another TA - As they say each to their own ! Try it and see!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You stated that you need to get across the ocean and you do not like to fly. It might be helpful if you were to view the Transatlantic cruise experience as more than a means of transportation. Try to think of your cruise ship as a destination in itself, a kind of resort stay. A Transatlantic cruise with its many sea days offers an opportunity to develop a greater sense of community with your fellow passengers. I love the opportunity to socialize with well travelled passengers from all over the world.

In offering you additional advice or opinions, it would be helpful if you would share a little more information about yourself and your interests. For example, if you are a very young person, you should be aware that Transatlantics usually attract an older clientel who may have more time and resources for travel. Also, with the exception of the Queen Mary 2 crossings, most transatlantics go in the spring and fall when there are very few children onboard. These are not party cruises. If you are sociable and willing to interact with people of all ages and nationalities, you will probably enjoy the experience. The roll calls usually set up a range of activities in addition to those offered by the cruise line. Just because someone else says they have reached their limit of enjoyment in seven or ten days, doesn't mean you will have the same feelings.

Personally, I have done four Transatlantics, two of which were followed by an additional cruise in European countries. Even after 26 days onboard I would have gladly stayed for the following cruise if circumstancess would have permitted. Hope these comments are helpful in your decision making process.

If you don't want to fly, sailing is your only option. Before she passed, my grandmother used to fly to Europe every summer then sail home because she said nobody was every in a hurry to get home from vacation.

I couldn't handle a 14 day TA. I do not care for sea days & I really hate them in the cold. Unfortunately we sail from NYC in winter a lot so I get stuck with 4 sea days on my 10 day trip no matter what & 2 of them are cold, indoor activities only.

It's really a personal preference. If you enjoy the mellowness of the sea days it could be lovely. I'd be trying to jump off & swim.

Great info thanks. Yes, I understand. I see the Freedom class ships offer Johnny Rockets?! That's definitely a plus.

OHHH MY !! What a delicious hamburger !! One of the best, I've had on a RCL ship ! When we tried it the price was something like $4.98 w/fries and all you could eat. Of course, they're quite large and eating two doubles, well, let's just say, you won't be looking forward to anything to eat for awhile :)

MAC

Is 14 days too long? For some. But for others it would be much to short. Personally we enjoy cruises over 60 days :). The issues with longer cruises have little do with "experience" and is just a matter of personal preference. DW and I purposely book cruises with lots of sea days (22 on a single cruise is our personal record) because we love relaxing, reading, and sometimes attending a lecture. We have also seen folks go crazy after a single sea day. Since you have no cruise experience you will simply have to wait and see.

DW likes to tell of one transpacific cruise where 12 of our first 14 days were at sea and the other 2 days were an overnight in Honolulu. When we got to Hawaii...neither of us even wanted to get off the ship!

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

OHHH MY !! What a delicious hamburger !! One of the best, I've had on a RCL ship ! When we tried it the price was something like $4.98 w/fries and all you could eat. Of course, they're quite large and eating two doubles, well, let's just say, you won't be looking forward to anything to eat for awhile :)

MAC

Looking forward to some delicious burgers in the middle of the ocean! I was kinda hoping it'd be free, but $4.98 for all you can eat isn't a bad deal. :D

We are all different, so it's hard to give you advice.

We have friends who will not go on a cruise with more than two sea days. We like those days (chill, read, walk, eat, read, chill). In-laws will only take a balcony. We will take an inside if it's going where we want to go. (Been in insides, portholes, windows, balconies). Other friends go for the fun on board--games, gambling, and drinks. They never get off the ship. We love ports--the more diverse the better.

Picture yourself! Are you like us, or more like those we know?

Personally, I've never wanted to leave the ship, even after 22days.

Looking forward to some delicious burgers in the middle of the ocean! I was kinda hoping it'd be free, but $4.98 for all you can eat isn't a bad deal. :D

Johnny Rockets is a surcharge restaurant on RCI ships that have them - and the price is more like $6.95 each time you go.

The Windjammer and MDR will have n/c burgers, but they are not the same "caliber" burger.

You stated that you need to get across the ocean and you do not like to fly. It might be helpful if you were to view the Transatlantic cruise experience as more than a means of transportation. Try to think of your cruise ship as a destination in itself, a kind of resort stay. A Transatlantic cruise with its many sea days offers an opportunity to develop a greater sense of community with your fellow passengers. I love the opportunity to socialize with well travelled passengers from all over the world.

In offering you additional advice or opinions, it would be helpful if you would share a little more information about yourself and your interests. For example, if you are a very young person, you should be aware that Transatlantics usually attract an older clientel who may have more time and resources for travel. Also, with the exception of the Queen Mary 2 crossings, most transatlantics go in the spring and fall when there are very few children onboard. These are not party cruises. If you are sociable and willing to interact with people of all ages and nationalities, you will probably enjoy the experience. The roll calls usually set up a range of activities in addition to those offered by the cruise line. Just because someone else says they have reached their limit of enjoyment in seven or ten days, doesn't mean you will have the same feelings.

Personally, I have done four Transatlantics, two of which were followed by an additional cruise in European countries. Even after 26 days onboard I would have gladly stayed for the following cruise if circumstancess would have permitted. Hope these comments are helpful in your decision making process.

Plus 1.

Doing 3+ week TA (plus other ports) this spring and 7 week TP in 2018. Love multiple sea days broken up by unusual ports. Fortunately, we're retired and probably wouldn't do less than 18-21 days for a cruise no matter where it's headed.