Newbie to Costa ... going on the Costa NeoRiveria

Liverpoollovely

Hi

I have never sailed Costa before and I am quite excited, I love new experiences and for my 30th in a few months time .. I will be going on the Costa NeoRiveria with my family to celebrate ... I have tried to look for reviews but I am not finding too many ...

has anyone sailed on Costa Neo Riveria? if so what did you think?

Does anyone have any Costa cruise tips? advice? I have only ever sailed with Royal Caribbean and Carnival so I do not know what to expect :D I know every cruise line has their own way of doing things

Hello Livlovely, There are lots of positive comments about Costa in general among the various threads. Please remember that Many people who have positive experiences rarely post their comments no matter what ship or company they use.

As a Brit who now lives in Spain, Costa Cruises are our preferred cruise line.

We have done many cruises with P&O UK, and Princess and enjoyed each one.

It's the same with us for Costa, after we do the neo riviera cruise in 7 weeks time,we'll have spent over 100 days at sea with Costa, spread over 3 years,so for us they are doing something right or we wouldn't keep returning. We have only ever sailed with 1 other company that wasn't to our taste and have never gone back to them, But as you say, all lines and ships have their own way of doing things and Costa are no exception.

For us here in Spain, Costa represents excellent value for money,with many of the cruises costing up to half of what we paid with P&O and Princess.

That roughly equates to about 60€ a day, staying an an inside premium category cabin. for that you get ALL your travel,entertainment and meals.

Meals are not available 24 hours a day,there will be an hour or two when nothing is served and there are no late night snacks in the buffet. Meals are served later than what Brits and Americans are used to,this is the same throughout the MED countries.

Lobster and Steak are not commonly available unless you pay extra and meat cuts may not be the same as you are used to. What you will get is a very presentable 4 course meal in the restaurant for lunch or a selection in the buffet, and a 6 to 7 course meal in the evening. Most people will eat in the Restaurant for the evening but Costa have now reintroduced a small selection in the buffet for limited evening hours. Meals are somewhat of a family occasion and are not rushed, People in the med think nothing of making a meal last up to 2 hours or more. Very rarely have we had a bad meal,and we certainly don't eat like this at home. BUT don't expect fine dining. There is also a pizza place, (extra charge) and a Grill serving burgers etc. The larger ships have speciality dining for a charge, however Costa Classica and neo-riviera don't have these.

Drink packages are very good value, if you are a moderate to large drinker. If not,expect to pay around a 4 star hotel price. If you don't buy a package,Water,tea and coffee are an extra charge.There is free water,juice and coffee available in the buffet with meals in the buffet.

Entertainment during the day is not as much as the other lines offer but we've enjoyed what there is. As they cater to a number of different nationalities you will hear instructions in up to 5 languages. Most of the staff speak english, albeit with an accent. Evening shows are more of the music acrobatic stuff,but still very enjoyable. Unlike the other lines,things really get going between 11pm and midnight,expect the disco to be very well used. There is an english speaking host available every day for questions etc.

Unlike the other lines, Costa apply a NON REMOVABLE TIP/SERVICE CHARGE currently i believe at 10€ pppd. We have never received bad service on a Costa cruise and are more than happy paying this amount. that way we know it gets spread out among all non salaried staff. even after factoring this cost into the cruise, for us it still represents excellent value for money.

Every ship we have been on has been kept very clean and the staff have always been very welcoming and friendly. Passengers are a mix of Italians,Spanish,French, German with a smattering of other nationalities. Brits and Americans are in the minority, but for us this makes it a unique experience. At the end of the voyage we are always sorry to leave and can't wait for the next one. There will always be little niggles on any cruise but these shouldn't detract from your enjoyment. Go with an open mind and then if you decide it's not for you,then don't use them again. This will be our first time on the neo riviera and wev'e been upgraded to a suite (our first ever. We can't wait to board the neo riviera in 7 weeks time, Yipppeeee.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. Happy cruising. :)

If you just sailed Royal Caribbean and Carnival, the NeoRiviera will feel quite small. It holds roughly 1250 people. We sailed her when there were less than 1,000 passengers. It is primarily geared to adults. If you take the attitude that you are visiting Italy (by going on an Italian ship), you will be o.k. Most negative reviews seem to stem from people who expect an American mass-market cruiseline like the ones you sailed. Don't expect meat and potatoes, it will be Italian. Alot of it will be seafood. The NeoRiviera does have great pasta and gelato. Their coffee is great (unfortunately, you have to pay for it, but the free coffee is better than the cruiselines that you have sailed before.) Entertainment is limited, but if you like to dance, you will love Costa. The multi-lingual announcements are long and tedious, but funny when done by someone with a very heavy accent whereby you can't tell one language from the other. Trivia contests are something else as it is more about fun and luck then being knowledgeable. If you are looking for something different, Costa will probably fill the bill.

Thank you both :)

I am excited for a new experience I enjoy pasta dishes and my dad adores seafood. I am looking forward to a smaller ship and I enjoy listening to different languages so I may enjoy the long multilingual announcements :)

It will be a Dubai cruise so there are interesting overnight stops that I have never done before so it will be nice to take it easy and enjoy a mostly adult populated ship for once :)

Hi,

As a Costa lover I can say they are different to other lines.

So few tips, as said drinks package is good value even for moderate drinkers (including coffee's) Many languages on board but if it is NOT in English no need to listen, if not in a Premium cabin breakfast menu is 5 euros, don't get caught out. Wine bar is best for English speakers, main Bar for dancing.

As usual if you don't like any choice they will try to accommodate you with something else. Do go to first English meeting, as this will put in contact with other English on board, always useful , when walking about ship. Just about to embark on our 22 cruise with them, so you can tell we enjoy them, but it is different, the Italian's rarely queue or let you get out of a lift before getting in, just go with flow.

If you cruise twice a year, join the Club because cruise once this year be upgraded to Suite if you go twice next year.

Your'e very welcome livlully. Have a great time.

We are sailing to dubai on her from Venice, 18 day voyage,so should be great :)

Ohh have a great sailing on her! I would love to read your review 18 days sounds terrific!

Hi,

As a Costa lover I can say they are different to other lines.

So few tips, as said drinks package is good value even for moderate drinkers (including coffee's) Many languages on board but if it is NOT in English no need to listen, if not in a Premium cabin breakfast menu is 5 euros, don't get caught out. Wine bar is best for English speakers, main Bar for dancing.

As usual if you don't like any choice they will try to accommodate you with something else. Do go to first English meeting, as this will put in contact with other English on board, always useful , when walking about ship. Just about to embark on our 22 cruise with them, so you can tell we enjoy them, but it is different, the Italian's rarely queue or let you get out of a lift before getting in, just go with flow.

If you cruise twice a year, join the Club because cruise once this year be upgraded to Suite if you go twice next year.

thank you so much for your tips and advice 22 cruises you must certainly like Costa, we cruise twice a year because we love cruising :) that sounds great, so Costa have a loyalty programme you have to join?

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the Venice-Dubai cruise in November and looking forward to it - the itinerary is superb. We are wanting to do a day trip to Petra AND Wadi Rum from Aqaba and are looking for up to 5 people to share - it's a very long, tough day and not for the faint hearted but I'm sure it'll be worth it looking at the reviews. If you're interested in joining, let us know, price drops as numbers rise of course.

John and Sandra Horne

Leeds

PS: We did a Costa cruise 6 or 7 years ago and it was great, one of the best we've been on - the reviews, like the experiences themselves, are subjective and we will be boarding the neoRiviera with an open mind, ready to have the time of our lives - again!

We are on the Venice-Dubai cruise in November and looking forward to it - the itinerary is superb. We are wanting to do a day trip to Petra AND Wadi Rum from Aqaba and are looking for up to 5 people to share - it's a very long, tough day and not for the faint hearted but I'm sure it'll be worth it looking at the reviews. If you're interested in joining, let us know, price drops as numbers rise of course.

John and Sandra Horne

Leeds

PS: We did a Costa cruise 6 or 7 years ago and it was great, one of the best we've been on - the reviews, like the experiences themselves, are subjective and we will be boarding the neoRiviera with an open mind, ready to have the time of our lives - again!

Hello John and Sandra. We too are on this cruise and really looking forward to it. we have cruised with Costa lots of times and never had a bad one.

The last Costa cruise was sailing from Mauritius to Venice. We did the Petra tour then so unfortunately wont be doing it this time round. As you said, it was a long day but very enjoyable. I hope you can get others to join you. It sounds as if you have the right attitude and i'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Happy cruising. :)

The 'NEO' ships are classed above others in the Company and different concept, food is geared to whatever region you are currently cruising in, free style dinning is the norm now, and it seems that Costa has relented about serving water in MDR's on the Pacifica last week every table had a bottle if requested. Do not be surprised to be offered the same food during the week, as said it is very regional, I believe that Shrimp/Lobster/Steaks are being brought in every ship at an extra cost of 15Euros. I have had Lobster twice both poorly cooked, but Shrimp & Steaks were great, on the last three Costa ship this year. Drinks package is slightly dearer but wine is matched to dishes served.

Anything not to your liking they will change for another selection, buffets are now open longer on non Neo ships are no doubt will be a started soon on the Neo's.

No coffee or teas during lunch, and no drink stations in buffet again seems to be a normal, breakfast they will come round with coffee/tea pots and serve you at table if asked.

Edited by tenpin

• 2 months later...
The 'NEO' ships are classed above others in the Company and different concept, food is geared to whatever region you are currently cruising in, free style dinning is the norm now, and it seems that Costa has relented about serving water in MDR's on the Pacifica last week every table had a bottle if requested. Do not be surprised to be offered the same food during the week, as said it is very regional, I believe that Shrimp/Lobster/Steaks are being brought in every ship at an extra cost of 15Euros. I have had Lobster twice both poorly cooked, but Shrimp & Steaks were great, on the last three Costa ship this year. Drinks package is slightly dearer but wine is matched to dishes served.

Anything not to your liking they will change for another selection, buffets are now open longer on non Neo ships are no doubt will be a started soon on the Neo's.

No coffee or teas during lunch, and no drink stations in buffet again seems to be a normal, breakfast they will come round with coffee/tea pots and serve you at table if asked.

So so excited now :) we love having different experiences it will be our first Costa cruise which may encourage more Costa sailings :) we have sailed a lot with Carnival but this has only been because we have wanted to go to the cruise ports. We are not loyal to any one particular cruise line :) we just love cruising :):D