list of items to sign up for before boarding Dream

glituner32

Hi guys,

So long story short, this will be my family's first Disney cruise. We will be cruising on the Dream 3 night. Been on over 10 cruises on other lines.

Here is the question I have. I am being able to go on this cruise through work/timeshare program for free. The issue is since its through a group/event booking through my work. they are not giving out Disney Conformation numbers until 2 weeks out. Meaning I can't book any dining/shows/meets or anything else Dream has.

So what am I going to be missing out/ having a hard time seeing since I cant prebook on Disney site.

Thanks

You don't pre-book shows, so toss out that. Show seating is first come, first serve. Get there 15-30 minutes early. Your standard (included) dining is booked for you and you will see it when you check in. Adult dining can be pre-booked, but 50% of those slots are held back till after boarding. SO if you want to pay for adult only dining, you are often able to get a slot after boarding. First time, I'd enjoy the included dining--you'll be in a different restaurant each night anyhow.

Only a few characters have ticketed meet and greets. These are usually the Princess Gathering and Frozen.

The real issue is not that you won't get the confirmation number in advance. The issue is that you are a first timer doing the shortest possible cruise on the biggest possible ship. You have 2 1/2 days and 4000 people. It wouldn't matter if they gave you the confirmation numbers 2 months in advance--the numbers work against you.

What you CAN do--check on line when you get the number and every day thereafter. People DO cancel things right before the 3 day deadline (this would be excursions). But random openings do pop up. Then, if you want adult dining, go to "dining changes" at the location listed in the welcome aboard navigator as soon as convenient after boarding. If you want character tickets, go to Port Adventures and ask (the worst they can do is say no." If you want a spa appointment, go there and make one. If you need nursery reservations, go there and schedule (again, times are held back till embarkation).

Finally, if you can't get it on embarkation day, check on day 2. The concierge holds reservations and tickets of all types for those guests. If the concierge guests don't take them, they are turned over to the appropriate department and anyone can get them.

Have fun, but realize that this cruise is barely a taste of DCL.

Edited by moki'smommy

Why does the PP say this cruise is barely a taste of DCL? We did a three night on the dream and I felt like we experienced alot. We didn't do a single thing before boarding and we waited in line to meet the characters (just get there early to be closer to the front) and we saw a show each night. We still had pirate night and fireworks and castaway cay. I do have a seven night fantasy booked soon and this time I'll be able to do the 90 day online booking but I'm not even sure what I need to pre-arrange?

Why does the PP say this cruise is barely a taste of DCL? We did a three night on the dream and I felt like we experienced alot. We didn't do a single thing before boarding and we waited in line to meet the characters (just get there early to be closer to the front) and we saw a show each night. We still had pirate night and fireworks and castaway cay. I do have a seven night fantasy booked soon and this time I'll be able to do the 90 day online booking but I'm not even sure what I need to pre-arrange?

A 3 night cruise is only 2 1/2 days. That's really not enough time to do nearly everything that is possible on the ship. DCL does a good job of scheduling in all the "main" activities. On a 7 night, you'll have variety performers in addition to the main stage shows, many more family and adult activities, a separate pirate night menu with costuming in the dining rooms, etc. You'll even have some "rest and relax" time.

What you CAN schedule in advance if you choose--ticketed meet and greets (typically Princess Gathering and Frozen characters, occasionally others), sports simulator, adult dining, nursery reservations, spa reservations, excursions. You can have a great cruise and not schedule or do any of these or you can do all of them--that's up to you and your party makeup.

After boarding, you might want to sign up for any "tastings." Depending on season of year, there may be other sign up activities (like gingerbread house making at Christmas).

OK gotcha. Yes I thought there was just one main show per day after dinner. I can't wait to see what else is avail. Honestly I was worried we may be bored getting on sat and sea day sunday and monday and then not docking until Tuesday anywhere which I see based on my 3 day the tues when we dock we would be leaving the ship if it was the three night dream. What else do you like to do on a sea day besides pool or meet with characters or have meals? Also anywhere on ship to get good espresso drinks? (I know there is a charge)

Try taking one of the 7 night or even the 4 night cruises and you will understand what you are missing. Just like at WDW, when you rush/power thru it, all the little things get missed.

Like, at guest services on the Dream, did you ever look at the map? Do you remember it look different every day?

Do you remember your waiter? I don't have a clue who we had on the 3 and 4 night on the Dream, but the waiter on the 7 night Alaska cruise was amaizing and sprinkled the pixie dust.

Also, on the longer cruises, the activities tend to repeat, so you can catch the ones you missed later in the cruise.

Also anywhere on ship to get good espresso drinks? (I know there is a charge)

Cove Cafe and/or Vista Cafe. Cove is adult only, Vista is in a family area. You must have missed these on your Dream cruise.

Honestly, there is a huge difference between a 4 night and a 3 night. On a sea day, the Navigator will list many activities for adults and for families...and of course the kid program is in full swing. Check out Satellite Falls, enjoy that espresso, do one or more of the tasting events. Sorry, I'm thinking adult only stuff. Check out a movie. If you have kids and it is offered (I think it is only on classic ships), don't miss the Mickey 200. Did you play miniature golf?

I beg to differ from a lot of the posters, but I have been on 7 Disney cruises- most of them 3 nighters. Just go with the flow. I never book anything- there are plenty of things left to do once you get onboard.

I beg to differ from a lot of the posters, but I have been on 7 Disney cruises- most of them 3 nighters. Just go with the flow. I never book anything- there are plenty of things left to do once you get onboard.

You are obviously an X fan, and have cruised with DCL before several times.

Your experience and history is very much different to the OP who is a first time DCL cruiser on maybe a 1 off cruise.

I very much doubt you did everything possible in your first 3 night'er, and neither will the OP.

On those short cruises you need to pick, decide on priorities, and make a call on what you can, might be able to do, and what you will miss. Unless you do book another cruise.

Hopefully the OP will after their cruise, but as this is a freebie, there is every chance they may not have DCL in their budget for cruising going forward. Or they might.

ex techie

We've done plenty of cruises where we haven't signed up for anything in advance. But that was a choice--we knew what was available for advance sign up and made a decision that we weren't interested in those things.

A little advance preparation (whether mental or signing up for stuff) will help a first timer do what he or she wants and make the most of a short time on the ship. No, it isn't necessary, but it can be helpful.

Thank you all esp Moki's mommy for your advice. I would NEVER have thought to log in last night at midnight for sign up! We got the character breakfast (says Disney junior with Mickey I think) this wasn't make or break but we had to pay on royal and I appreciated being able to go without cost as he likes it in general. Did princess sign ups so we have the option or we will donate to a child would wants to go but I think MIL would love to

Get family pics and frozen which we couldn't get last time

On dream and on dream we never saw them around the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you choose to not use some of the tickets you have reserved, just turn them in at Guest Services. Obviously, you can also give them to another family if you meet/see someone who needs them, but GS will happily reprint them for another family as well.

One of my pet peeves is people who get tickets and then just let them go to waste when other guests would love to use them.

A couple years ago on the Magic, people without tickets to an event were told to line up at the door before the event and if there were "no shows" the waiting people would be admitted. After the ticketed people were admitted, there were so many no shows that there was only one family left. DCL set up an extra table so that the entire waiting line got in. I find it sad that so many people held tickets and either forgot or opted to not use them. At least DCL got others in.

BUT, we've missed events due to lack of tickets only to find that other people just tossed theirs in the trash.

Edited by moki'smommy

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed a 14 day Panama Canal cruise a few years ago. Believe me, there's always something to do, even on day 14. Yes it's more drawn out with lots more down time, but it's fun as an adult to ask today's Tinkerbell handler where Peter Pan is today, as he was flying around yesterday (hint: said handler has a very boy-like appearance).

There are absolute positives of shorter and longer cruises - both are a blast. Don't short change either.

Do they have brunch at Palo on the 3 day sailings? If so, that is a nice time for parents to have some quiet together time while kids are at the kids clubs. Then you still have dinners and the rest of the time as a family.

My husband and I did this on our Disney cruises and it was so nice! Yes, it is an extra charge, but so worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app