Help - compare temperatures

summercruising

I'm sailing on the Pearl next Sunday. I've been watching the temperatures in our ports in Alaska...now a question.

Juneau 50 degrees feels like ___ in Atlanta Georgia

Just wondering...

50 degrees. Temperatures are pretty absolute although us Alaskans can think 50 degrees is a heat wave at time. FYI - it is 70 in Anchorage today.

We leave on our cruise on June 29th... I am looking forward to it, but really nervous about the weather. I live in MN and we have had a horribly cold spring. Temps this past weekend were only in the 50-55 degree range most of the time. Today MAY have made it into the low 60s. I was freezing all weekend and had to turn our fireplace on! I guess I had better plan on bringing lots of jeans and fleece jackets with me on the trip. While not looking forward to the weather.... I am looking forward to seeing Alaska!

50 degrees. Temperatures are pretty absolute although us Alaskans can think 50 degrees is a heat wave at time. FYI - it is 70 in Anchorage today.

Wholly cow, it was warmer in Alaska today than in Southernmost Ontario!!:rolleyes: Would 70 be swimsuit weather?;)

It was low 60s and drizzly today in the Seattle area. I wore shorts, a short-sleeved top, and flip flops to the mall. If I'd needed to be outside for any length of time, I'd have added a jacket, but a light one. My sister lives in Arkansas, I know if she'd been here today, she'd have been in jeans and a sweatshirt.

Back to the original question... I don't think it's so much what 50 feels like in Alaska vs Atlanta, but how 50 FEELS to someone from Alaska vs Atlanta. People in Alaska are probably breaking out their shorts now, but someone in Atlanta probably would still want a coat. It's not so much that 50 feels warmer in Alaska as that it might feel warmer to an Alaskan than to an Atlantan.

Having cruised with people from Texas, Las Vegas, and Florida they all had problems dealing with the 50 - 60 degree temps of AK. They wanted winter parkas :) while I was fine in a windbreaker. It all depends on what you are used to.

Also we should not forget that in places like Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay you are around glaciers and the temps are even colder.

FYI - as I type this at 9:05 PM, Fairbanks hit a high of 82F today. And no -- for those who are wondering -- that is not a record high for this date. The fact that Fairbanks is so warm in the summer is often surprising for visitors.

The NOAA forecast calls for warmer temps the next two days. We're love'in it! Can't beat a Fairbanks summer!

It was low 60s and drizzly today in the Seattle area. I wore shorts, a short-sleeved top, and flip flops to the mall. If I'd needed to be outside for any length of time, I'd have added a jacket, but a light one. My sister lives in Arkansas, I know if she'd been here today, she'd have been in jeans and a sweatshirt.

Back to the original question... I don't think it's so much what 50 feels like in Alaska vs Atlanta, but how 50 FEELS to someone from Alaska vs Atlanta. People in Alaska are probably breaking out their shorts now, but someone in Atlanta probably would still want a coat. It's not so much that 50 feels warmer in Alaska as that it might feel warmer to an Alaskan than to an Atlantan.

Thank you...that is just what I was trying to ask!

We leave on our cruise on June 29th... I am looking forward to it, but really nervous about the weather. I live in MN and we have had a horribly cold spring. Temps this past weekend were only in the 50-55 degree range most of the time. Today MAY have made it into the low 60s. I was freezing all weekend and had to turn our fireplace on! I guess I had better plan on bringing lots of jeans and fleece jackets with me on the trip. While not looking forward to the weather.... I am looking forward to seeing Alaska!

Move to Florida. 90 here yesterday!

Remember 50 degrees can vary. It's a big difference if is it sunny vs. cloudy vs. cloudy and windy.

To you it might feel cool.

Keith

This is so true. We were there last week and the wind was biting and cold at the beginning of the week. Later in the week when the sun came out, on the other hand, it felt much warmer than I expected. Temps were about the same every day, but they didn't feel like it at all.

This is so true. We were there last week and the wind was biting and cold at the beginning of the week. Later in the week when the sun came out, on the other hand, it felt much warmer than I expected. Temps were about the same every day, but they didn't feel like it at all.

That's why the advice for Alaska is always the same - layer, layer, layer.

When we were in port or inland, a t-shirt and windbreaker was usually fine. When cruising Glacier Bay, it was 4 layers plus hat & gloves. I was prepared to go to 5 layers but didn't need to.

Archived