1.5 Year Old Cruiser

lec2017

I'm super excited to take my little one on a Disney cruise. It's hers and my DH first cruise, it will be my 4th. It will be my first on a Disney line though. I've been all excited reading up on everything there is to do, but have been recently reading that there really isn't much beyond the nursery for my little to do. I guess I'm second guessing myself now because if (as I've read in a few posts) the kiddie pool isn't open and I don't want to leave her in the nursery all of the time, what is there for us to do?

I'm super excited to take my little one on a Disney cruise. It's hers and my DH first cruise, it will be my 4th. It will be my first on a Disney line though. I've been all excited reading up on everything there is to do, but have been recently reading that there really isn't much beyond the nursery for my little to do. I guess I'm second guessing myself now because if (as I've read in a few posts) the kiddie pool isn't open and I don't want to leave her in the nursery all of the time, what is there for us to do?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Yes, due to USPH regulations, unpotty trained kids may not use the pools, but on the Wonder you can use Dory's Reef with her :) It's a splash pad area, with sprinklers and little water spouts for little kids.

You can also take her to any family advertised activity, the main stage shows if you think she would like to see the lights and hear the music, the movie theater, meet the Characters, also use the Oceaneer Club during "Open House" times when you can visit as a family. There is also a wake up with Disney Junior activity, if that is something you would like to take her to?

Unfortunately, thats about it for baby experiences, but you will not be alone in having such a little one aboard and you can make the ship fun whatever you do!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie
SP.

It's not so much that "the kiddie pool is closed", but you can't take your child in the pool if she isn't potty trained. The pools have been closed frequently due to parents who have the idea, "if she's not in a diaper, I can take her in the pool". That's not what "no diapers (swim or regular) in the pools.

There is a splash zone on all ships for those not potty trained yet.

You can find past Navigators here http://disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/ to get an idea of what sorts of activities are available onboard (including toddler activities). I'll also point out that you can take her into the kid's club during Open House hours to play there.

If you want to drop her off and do adult activities on your own, the only option is the nursery.

However, there are actually several things to do with a toddler. The splash areas are really nice. As noted the pools are not available to anyone who is not toilet trained. And the reason the pool is often closed is that parents don't follow that policy. The oceaneer's Club and Lab are open to the child WITH a parent during open house hours--check the Navigator for times. During this time, you are welcome to take your child there and play with her using all of the facilities. This is typically one hour per day in each facility--total of 2 hours.

Normally there is a "Wake up with Disney, Jr." dance/exercise program specifically designed for toddlers...this is usually a fairly early morning experience. You and child are welcome at any "family" activity--again check the Navigator. There are things like "family dance party," game activities, etc. And of course she is welcome at the main stage shows, any movies you might want to take her to, etc.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thanks for all of the feedback. I've done so much research on this cruise, making sure it was the right one for our family and then found that maybe there wasn't much for kids as young as my daughter. It's good to know about the open hours at the clubs, as well as other activities. I kind of forgot that they schedule smaller activities throughout the cruise on different days, most people just don't talk about them. The only event I ever see anyone talk about is the crawl race.

In fairness, there are not a lot of activities specifically designed for infants and toddlers, but sometimes you need to make your own fun. I think that the reason the exercise/dance (Wake up with Disney, Jr.) is an early morning activity is that no matter what other time something is scheduled, it will interfere with nap time for someone! They don't want to get feedback that all the activities for that age range were during nap time!

Sometimes you have to make your own fun. Go up to the miniature golf course--it is often deserted. She doesn't have to "golf," she can just walk around the course if no one is playing. There are lots of fun places just to explore. While she won't understand the concept of Midship Detective, she might enjoy the pictures changing. You get the idea. Only specified "adult only" activities or locations are off limits. Otherwise, explore the ship and figure out what she likes.

Great point about the MDA and mini golf!

And at that age, even if you bring some toys and sit in one of the lounges or public spaces in the atrium and let her play there. That will get you out in a different space from the Stateroom and allow her to have fun!

ex techie

If you used a TA to book, they must add the transfers for you. You can add the diaper genie on the "special services form--often it just shows up because they know you have a 1 year old. You can also request the crib there.

You can call in advance...or your stateroom host will take care of it after boarding. I'm the compulsive one--I'd call in advance. Again, TA can do this when they add the transfers.

Not to be a downer on your cruise, but just so you know, balloons and candles are not allowed on DCL, but I know balloons are allowed on other lines, and some will have a candle on a birthday cake, but unfortunately not on DCL.

Just checking as you've said you've cruised before but not on DCL.

You can decorate your Stateroom with any decorations you wish, but you must use magnets only, and no adhesive tape or putty is permitted. And a hefty fee for any stains, marks, residue or damage left.

Make sure to note the birthday on your reservation, and you might get some pixie dust for your daughter! (disclaimer: might, no guarantee implied)

I hope you have a great birthday cruise with the little one!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

We took our 2 year old on the Alaska cruise this summer. Instead of a crib, you can have a full or normal 1/2 length bed put on the couch or fold down from the wall beds.

We did the normal 1/2 length on the couch. That way we didn't have the crib taking up floor space in the small interior cabins.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Techie' date=' they have relaxed the rule on candles. They will now serve the birthday dessert with a candle under the careful supervision of the server. He won't leave the table until it is blown out. Yeah, I was surprised too.[/quote']

Thanks for the update!

And Yes, I am more than surprised! Stunned!

Bowing to the pressure I guess.

ex techie

If you used a TA to book' date=' they must add the transfers for you. You can add the diaper genie on the "special services form--often it just shows up because they know you have a 1 year old. You can also request the crib there.

You can call in advance...or your stateroom host will take care of it after boarding. I'm the compulsive one--I'd call in advance. Again, TA can do this when they add the transfers.[/quote']

We didn't use a TA and I don't see the form on the site so I'll have to call tomorrow or Monday.

techie- We weren't planning anything as far as decorating, she'll just be thrilled to see Mickey. We went to Disney Land in December and the only thing she's talked about since is how she got to hug and kiss the mouse!

I'm a little late in responding, but I wanted to jump in in case you had any lingering doubts. I took my son on a DCL cruise when he was about the same age as your daughter and he had a wonderful time.

In addition to all of the activities already mentioned, he enjoyed wandering around the ship, the live music, meeting characters and the shows. (We sat by the aisle so that we could leave if he got bored. He enjoyed 2 shows and the other 2 not so much). Also shuffleboard, though it was a little nerve wracking to arm him with a long stick.

The crew was so good with him. They went out of their way to make sure he had food he liked and was enjoying himself at dinner. It's usually a trial to get my son to sit still for a full restaurant meal, so the extra help was appreciated.

We did not leave him in the nursery at all. If my husband or I wanted some adult time, we traded off kid-watching duties. Because there was so much stimulation and fun, my son wound up sleeping more than usual, which gave us some time to read and relax together. (Pack an umbrella stroller so that you aren't stuck in the room during naps. We just threw a blanket over the sleeping boy and pushed him around the ship or around port).

One thing I will always remember is seeing Mickey on our last night of the trip. My son waved and said, "Goodnight Mickey. See you tomorrow." I almost cried when I had to tell him that our trip was ending and he would not see Mickey tomorrow.

One thing I will always remember is seeing Mickey on our last night of the trip. My son waved and said, "Goodnight Mickey. See you tomorrow." I almost cried when I had to tell him that our trip was ending and he would not see Mickey tomorrow.

Oh my, that sounds like our first trip to WDW. I explained to my daughter that she had time to choose one thing to do on the last morning before our afternoon departure for the airport (our package included park tickets for each day, so we could do whatever.) She wanted to see Mickey, so off we went. When she got to the front of the line, she told Mickey that she had some bad news. "He" acted all concerned and she blurted out "Our vacation is over and we have to leave today so I can't see you any more." Life was fine after I assured both of them that there would be another trip someday.

Oh my' date=' that sounds like our first trip to WDW. I explained to my daughter that she had time to choose one thing to do on the last morning before our afternoon departure for the airport (our package included park tickets for each day, so we could do whatever.) She wanted to see Mickey, so off we went. When she got to the front of the line, she told Mickey that she had some bad news. "He" acted all concerned and she blurted out "Our vacation is over and we have to leave today so I can't see you any more." Life was fine after I assured both of them that there would be another trip someday.[/quote']

My daughter has been telling literally everyone that she is going on a boat to see "the mouse" and "goosy" (Goofy). She then proceeds to tell them that she's going to give them a hug and a kiss, which she did the last time we saw them!

Quick Question - will there be room in our stateroom (guaranteed verandah) to store a car seat? We need it for the trip back to the airport, and I don't trust the rental car agencies to have a decent one.

My daughter has been telling literally everyone that she is going on a boat to see "the mouse" and "goosy" (Goofy). She then proceeds to tell them that she's going to give them a hug and a kiss, which she did the last time we saw them!

Quick Question - will there be room in our stateroom (guaranteed verandah) to store a car seat? We need it for the trip back to the airport, and I don't trust the rental car agencies to have a decent one.

Yes in a word. Either in the closet or in the bath tub when you are not using it.

The verandah cannot be used however.

ex techie

Yes, you can store the car seat in your stateroom. In the past, if you rented both ways with Budget, the CC5 (Cape Canaveral) office would allow you to store the car seat at their location while you cruised. You might call that office directly (not the nationwide number) to see if this is still in effect if it fits your needs. You could bag it (bring a large bag), tag it with your ID, and it would be waiting for you after the cruise.

Late to the party but...

Took my son when he was 1 and had such a great time that we're going again in April- my son with be 2.5 and my daughter will be 1.

I didn't see it mentioned here but I may have missed it. In addition to the clubs having open houses, the nursery itself has open hours where parents could play with their kids in the nursery. Also, there were baby/toddler playtimes in (on the Fantasy) the "meeting room" where they hold weddings, I'm assuming. It was in one of the "smoke stacks" & a little hard to get to- only one elevator went to that floor- I think 18? Otherwise, you'd have to transfer elevators. This was on the Fantasy. Anyway. They had all kinds of soft play mats, cubes, blocks to climb on and all kinds of toys. Some of the cruise director's staff were there to play along. And they had cookies, juice boxes, pitchers of lemonade, water and coffee. The cruise staff were so great playing with the kids. Make sure you watch for that event in the Navigator. We went every time it was available.

Stinks about the pools though!!!! The splash area on the bigger ships (Dream & Fantasy) are awesome, but I hate that they allow older kids in since this is the ONLY wet area for diaper kids. The smaller ships' (magic & wonder) have smaller splash areas with a lot less to offer, BUT only 3 years and under are allowed in them so that's good.

We used the nursery & it was awesome!! This cruise we'll be doing late seating- our favorite seating. We'll feed the kids normal time probably via room service while we get ready & then put them in the nursery so we can ENJOY dinner each night just the two of us. Don't hesitate using the nursery- it's great! And the staff are awesome!! They'll feed them for you, change them, put them in their PJs, put them to bed at a time you want, keep them up if you want. It really was great. We were even surprised at the end of our trip with an envelope full of pictures of our son with Cinderella and another character that visited for story time. So cute!

During dry dock the DCL Wounder now has Dory's Reef that the under 3 years old kids and go in.

Each cruise will slightly different activities based on the number of people/kids in each age group. During the school year a higher % of cruisers will be in the under 5 age, so there should be more activities for them, compared to the summer time when majority of the schools are off.

Edited by ArthurUSCG