Laundry experience on Fantasy-reliable?

Laurba99

From the tips thread sticky above:

Another tip,

Laundry and ironing.

Personal clothes irons and clothes steamers are prohibited aboard! Do not bring them as they will be confiscated!

All of the DCL ships have self service laundry's aboard along with a full service laundry and dry cleaning service.

For those that chose to pack lightly, or need to do some laundry and or press your clothes during the cruise, full service laundry services maybe more reasonable than you think!

Pressing is only 50% of the dry cleaning charge, so it is very reasonable to send your clothes out to be collected, pressed and returned than spend your valuable vacation time in the laundry room!

The price list below.

DCL_LaundryService.jpg

Price list courtesy of the disneycruiselineblog.

Self service laundry's are available on these decks and have washers and dryers along with clothes irons.

Payment for detergent and machine usage is via your KTTW card, so no coins are needed.

The least busy times are early mornings, late night, and during shows and dining times.

Please do not leave your clothes in the washers or dryers any longer than is necessary. The machines have a countdown display so you know when your clothes cycle with finish.

Other Guests waiting for use of the machines have been known to remove your clothing and then use the machine, so if that is a problem to you, set an alarm so you return before your cycle finishes.

Be aware that the laundry may have been empty when you started your laundry, but there may be a line when you return, and others may be waiting and needing to use that washer and dryer as well!

Self service laundry locations:

Dream and Fantasy:

Deck 2 Port Forward

Deck 5 Aft

Deck 6 Starboard Forward

Deck 7 Port Forward

Deck 8 Port Aft

Deck 9 Starboard Forward

Deck 10 Starboard Midships

Magic and Wonder:

Deck 2 Port Midships

Deck 6 Starboard Midships

Deck 7 Starboard Midships

Disneycruiselineblog has a full and complete explanation of how the process works here:

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2013/01/onboard-self-and-full-service-laundry-and-dry-cleaning/

ex techie

That is not something that RCCL had that I can recall only thing is that I assume you don't leave the laundry room and sounds like time wasted on a cruise so maybe I would just have a few select items washed if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is not something that RCCL had that I can recall only thing is that I assume you don't leave the laundry room and sounds like time wasted on a cruise so maybe I would just have a few select items washed if needed.

You certainly may leave the laundry room, once you've started your load. Just remember to come back by the time the cycle is over, or you may find your items piled off to the side, if all the machines are in use.

I've often put clothes in the washer, gone up to the pool deck to grab something to eat and returned to move clothes to the dryer. Then come back when it was done to fold and put away.

Each cycle is about 45 minutes.

I've also done laundry early morning (we're early risers, even on vacation). Late at night is also an option. But, occasionally, if someone in a nearby room complains about laundry noises at night, a specific laundry room may be closed/locked at night.

Edited by Shmoo here

Do you scan your card-assuming I don't need quarters? :)

Yes, the washers and dryers you swipe your KTTW card. If you do use them, after swiping, be patient. Sometimes there's a substantial delay before the onboard system actually picks up the information and prompts you to the next step. If you keep swiping your card, it can result in multiple charges.

Or do it late night?

Do you scan your card-assuming I don't need quarters? :)

Ok last one. You bring your own soap or do they have you can buy?

Laurba99, all of your subsequent questions were addressed in my post #2?

Did you not see it?

Self service laundry's are available on these decks and have washers and dryers along with clothes irons.

Payment for detergent and machine usage is via your KTTW card, so no coins are needed.

The least busy times are early mornings, late night, and during shows and dining times.

Please do not leave your clothes in the washers or dryers any longer than is necessary. The machines have a countdown display so you know when your clothes cycle with finish.

Other Guests waiting for use of the machines have been known to remove your clothing and then use the machine, so if that is a problem to you, set an alarm so you return before your cycle finishes.

ex techie

I'm with Shmoo--I do not sit and babysit my laundry. However, I do pay attention to the timer. A wash is about 30 minutes, the dry cycle is 60 minutes. I look at my watch when I start the machine and I'm back in the laundry room about 2 minutes before it is due to stop.

If you leave items in a machine that has completed the cycle, don't be surprised if other people remove your items and place them on the table. You may find that rude, but in my eyes it is the same amount of rudeness as someone leaving their stuff in a finished machine (there are often people waiting for a machine. My logic is that a user has essentially rented the machine for the length of the cycle. When the cycle is over, they can be evicted.

I've done cruises almost a month in length, so laundry is a must on those. No problems at all. As to detergent, you can bring whatever type you wish. They are HE machines, but will work with regular detergent--use about half the normal amount. The funny thing is that the products they sell are "regular," not HE. As Shmoo noted, I can bring it from home for a lot less cost than purchasing on board. You can put liquids in your checked luggage on a plane. You can also either buy a small container of dry or transfer the amount for a couple loads to a different container. In the "olden days" when we had camera film, I would put the amount for one load in a film container, then enclose the containers in a plastic bag for extra security.

The idea of going on a cruise and doing laundry sounds terrible, but I suspect everyone enjoys a little downtime in the cabin at some point. Furthermore, the Disney cabins are so darn nice, and you'll have great on demand video options on the cabin TV. Enjoy a little break from the pool deck. Order some cut fruit or cookies from room service.

My advice would be to bring a few detergent pods in your luggage. You'll likely encounter times for laundry that will fit naturally into your onboard schedule. Like moki'smommy and shmoo say, if you are courteous and get your clothes when the machines finish their cycles, you'll be much less likely to encounter someone moving your clothes for you.

I was just on the Magic and did laundry for the first time. I couldn't take the smell of dirty clothes piling up for 3 more days on a 7 night. It was super convenient to throw the laundry in the machine. When I came back, the clothes dryer that was done above my washer had not yet been retrieved. Even after 20 minutes of being finished. Super annoying and pretty disrespectful to others if you ask me. So I took it out, but felt bad about sticking it in a pile, so I went into mommy mode and quickly folded it all. Hopefully they didn't mind. Please please, if you use the laundry facility, be cognizant of the time.

I was just on the Magic and did laundry for the first time. I couldn't take the smell of dirty clothes piling up for 3 more days on a 7 night. It was super convenient to throw the laundry in the machine. When I came back, the clothes dryer that was done above my washer had not yet been retrieved. Even after 20 minutes of being finished. Super annoying and pretty disrespectful to others if you ask me. So I took it out, but felt bad about sticking it in a pile, so I went into mommy mode and quickly folded it all. Hopefully they didn't mind. Please please, if you use the laundry facility, be cognizant of the time.

The above 100%!

When you cruise, we are all in the same boat! So please be respectful of others!

And DCLCrazy, that was very kind of you to fold their clothes. They may or may not have deserved your kindness, but your respect for their belongings is to be admired!

And I hope whoever didn't show up on time to collect their belongings had a good reason not to, but also appreciated your efforts to provide a little pixie dust to their cruise.

ex techie

You were FAR too nice! The sad thing is that I've come back 3 or 4 days later and found the same clothes sitting on the table in the laundry room. Really makes you wonder what people are thinking.

I really don't respect the people who leave their machines for long periods of time after the load is finished. I don't touch it if there is another machine for me to use, but if it is the only one available....too bad, their stuff is going on the table...wet or dry! (I'll empty a washer or a dryer).