Travel insurance for Norfolk Island?

bazzaw

Wife and I have decided to go to Norfolk Island for a week. Was supposed to go there on a Pacific Pearl cruise to Tahiti years ago but couldn't berth there due to weather.

My travel insurance Company says the appropriate travel insurance policy is a "domestic" one - and Norfolk Island is now officially part of Australia. Domestic policies do not cover any medical/hospital expenses - however this does not stop them from charging me an additional premium due to my previous medical history!! I don't know what the medical /hospital service is like on Norfolk - however a travel insurance policy is not going to be of any assistance in that matter if needed.

So - is it even worth taking out such a policy - it would only cover incidentals like lost baggage etc - although it would cover the "excess" required by the hire car rental so I would get "something" out of it - or possibly it might be better to simply pay the additional daily figure to reduce the excess direct to the rental firm??

Anybody been to Norfolk Island??

The hospital on NI is fine - anything requiring major surgery is flown straight to Auckland or Sydney.

I use Covermore Insurance: In the region of travel drop down box select Australia. In the "country most time spent in" select Norfolk Island.

NI was always "officlally part of Australia" - it has simply had some governmental changes since 1 July relating to tax, medicare, centrelink etc. More info and links here https://www.border.gov.au/News/Pages/norfolk-island.aspx

The hospital on NI is fine - anything requiring major surgery is flown straight to Auckland or Sydney.

[/url]

Thanks for that info - I have found this webpage from the Australian Govt - http://regional.gov.au/territories/norfolk_island/reforms/domestic-travel.aspx which is quite specific regarding health matters on NFI

"From 1 July 2016, medical treatment on Norfolk Island will be covered by Medicare as it is on mainland Australia. Emergency medical treatment will be covered by Medicare or your private health insurer.

If you need to be medically evacuated from the Island, you will be transferred from Norfolk Island's health facility to the closest, appropriate mainland hospital. The cost of the medivac will be covered by the Australian Government."

My major interest in Travel insurance is to protect us from medical/hospital/repatriation expenses - so I am thinking that insurance for a holiday on NFI is otherwise a bit pointless for us now. I can take out extra car insurance when I arrive there to cover the $3500 excess.

Yes Bazza, all changed since 1 July. We had trips there in May '15 and May '16, and travel insurance was necessary ( we were specifically warned about medical evacuation), but not now.

Many of the rental cars are not worth $3500 :D

Enjoy! We love Norfolk - Watawieh!

You would need the travel insurance for cancellation of trip. unless you want to write off the 3 or 4 grand it would be costing you. (If you got ill pre trip that is.) We did NI in 2002, had 10 days there, we liked it, stayed at Governors Lodge.

Yes rental cars on NI come over from Japan when they are 'thrown away' by the Japanese. A lot of 10 year old Toyota Crowns and Corollas, back in 2002.

Enjoy it Barry.

Edited by NSWP

What happens if you injure yourself on the ship. Medicare wont cover that even if just off the Australian coast.

Except they're going for a week, so don't think a ship comes into it this time, it's a make up for missing out when they were on a cruise.

But I agree even local cruises you need insurance.

What happens if you injure yourself on the ship. Medicare wont cover that even if just off the Australian coast.

Exactly.

Even in Tasmania it is dodgy re medivacs. We were in Hobart a few weeks ago with my son and family. His 9 year old daughter's appendix burst, infection set in bad. Into Hobart Hospital for 10 days. Tasmanian Health/Medicare would not do a medivac to Prince of Wales Children's Hospital, Sydney, saying it was not critical/life threatening, well only if someone paid $200,000 for it, his insurance co. said 'no...stay in Hobart Hospital until you can fly on a commercial flight.'

So I reckon Norfolk Island or helo off the ship would be much the same, no one want to pay. Travel Insurance is a must.

Yes rental cars on NI come over from Japan when they are 'thrown away' by the Japanese. A lot of 10 year old Toyota Crowns and Corollas, back in 2002.

Enjoy it Barry.

Actually they are all new models and cute little fuel efficient cars.

http://www.norfolkisland.com.au/general-info/car-hire

Thanks for that info - I have found this webpage from the Australian Govt - http://regional.gov.au/territories/norfolk_island/reforms/domestic-travel.aspx which is quite specific regarding health matters on NFI

"From 1 July 2016, medical treatment on Norfolk Island will be covered by Medicare as it is on mainland Australia. Emergency medical treatment will be covered by Medicare or your private health insurer.

If you need to be medically evacuated from the Island, you will be transferred from Norfolk Island's health facility to the closest, appropriate mainland hospital. The cost of the medivac will be covered by the Australian Government."

My major interest in Travel insurance is to protect us from medical/hospital/repatriation expenses - so I am thinking that insurance for a holiday on NFI is otherwise a bit pointless for us now. I can take out extra car insurance when I arrive there to cover the $3500 excess.

Yep that was all covered in the original link I provided you.

If you can afford to self insure for the cost of cancellation of flights/hotels etc then its up to you whether you get insurance or not. For the sake of $100 I get the insurance.

Check your credit card as to whether it has a travel policy attached to it. That can usually save the cost of the insurance on the rental car.

Yep that was all covered in the original link I provided you.

If you can afford to self insure for the cost of cancellation of flights/hotels etc then its up to you whether you get insurance or not. For the sake of $100 I get the insurance.

Check your credit card as to whether it has a travel policy attached to it. That can usually save the cost of the insurance on the rental car.

Indeed, we travel on the ANZ Platinum Credit Card Travel Insurance. Had a minor claim on car hire excess last year in the UK, they paid all the excess/damage worth GBP 700. ANZ car also covers unlimited amount for cancellation/medical.

But get the policy book, read the fine print as always !!

Edited by NSWP

Prior to last year Norfolk Island was a Territory of Australia, with its own Customs and Immigraton .

Now it it is fully part of Australia (New South Wales actually) just like Lord Howe Island . So flights from Sydney and Brisbane on Air new Zealand are Domestic, and from Auckland are International .

Cruise boats calling as their first of call in Australia will come across Immigration and Customs. Coming from another Australian port , no immigration or customs.

As full part of Australia all Australian residents visiting Norfolk receive full Medicare cover as on mainland. Norfolk Island hospital offers 24 medical services, with emergency cases being evacuated by air to Australia or New Zealand .

If you are evacuated to NZ are those costs covered and are medical expenses covered? And why were we advised we needed travel insurance on a fully domestic cruise?

Because the medical on the ship is charged as if in America and not covered by Medicare (the doctors don't have a Medicare number and are, in all probability not even registered here but in the USA.

If you are evacuated to NZ are those costs covered and are medical expenses covered? And why were we advised we needed travel insurance on a fully domestic cruise?

Because the medical on the ship is charged as if in America and not covered by Medicare (the doctors don't have a Medicare number and are, in all probability not even registered here but in the USA.

Yes. I know. I was posing the question to those who said because it was a domestic cruise then insurance wasnt needed.

Yes. I know. I was posing the question to those who said because it was a domestic cruise then insurance wasnt needed.

Who said that ? The OP bazzaw is not going on a cruise - they are going on a holiday to NI. They are electing to self insure the trip now that medical is covered by medicare on NI.

On a domestic cruise nothing is covered by Medicare because the ship and its medical staff are not registered in Aus and have no relationship with or reciprocal agreements with Australia and Medicare.

Who said that ? The OP bazzaw is not going on a cruise - they are going on a holiday to NI. They are electing to self insure the trip now that medical is covered by medicare on NI.

On a domestic cruise nothing is covered by Medicare because the ship and its medical staff are not registered in Aus and have no relationship with or reciprocal agreements with Australia and Medicare.

Yes. I also know that now but the convo morphed!

Must have changed then since 2002. Thanks. All ye olde 1966 Toyota Crowns finally wore out and got chucked over the cliff.

All depends who you go through. A lot of car rentals are provided as part of a package, and then it's not through the 'major' rental agencies.

Was there a couple of years back and also got a 10 y.o. ex-Japan car... and saw a fair number of others in the rental yard.

All depends who you go through. A lot of car rentals are provided as part of a package, and then it's not through the 'major' rental agencies.

Was there a couple of years back and also got a 10 y.o. ex-Japan car... and saw a fair number of others in the rental yard.

Yes our experience also. Last year the car we got as part of package was an old ex-Japan car that even gave some instructions in Japanese - maybe "fasten seat belt????" & had seen better days.

But this year, we stayed at different accommodation and received a much newer car - a red one :) So maybe times are a changin' - & just not with the admin of the island. It truly is a wonderful place.

Australian domestic cruises in on board medical services are NOT covered by Australian Medicare , so that is why Australian travellersa re advised to take out Travel Insurance for australian Domestic cruises . Ships Medical Centres charge for all consultations to your on board account, and these charges cannot be claimed against Medicare or Australian Private Health insurance .

Full travel insurance covers you for any on board medical expenses or any costs of evacuation at sea .