Ft Lauderdale, is this possible?

shopnagain

I have never been to Ft Lauderdale but read the airport is quite close to the port. Is a flight arriving at FLL at 10:44am feasible to make a sailing that departs at 4pm? I like to fly in the previous day but this may not be possible this time. Anyone familiar with this port, please advise. Thanks

Quite feasible, assuming no delays. You need to be onboard 90 or 120 minutes in advance. It will take you 30 or so minutes to collect your bags, and a 15 or so minute taxi ride. Discussed here daily.

But I would never say to fly in the day of your cruise.

Quite feasible, assuming no delays. You need to be onboard 90 or 120 minutes in advance. It will take you 30 or so minutes to collect your bags, and a 15 or so minute taxi ride. Discussed here daily.

But I would never say to fly in the day of your cruise.

It's a short cruise, so no checked bags. Just carry on items. However, it's on a holiday.

Did you book flight through the cruise line or separate?

We have done both ways. If through cruise we fly in same day if on our own we fly in at least a day before.

The cruise line has had us arriving at 2pm the same day of the cruise, that cuts it very close. In fact my parents nearly missed the boat because of a plane problem. They were detoured to Orlando waiting to fly to ft lauderdale. But since it was through the cruise line they held the ship waiting for info from Orlando. They walked in during muster.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never been to Ft Lauderdale but read the airport is quite close to the port. Is a flight arriving at FLL at 10:44am feasible to make a sailing that departs at 4pm? I like to fly in the previous day but this may not be possible this time. Anyone familiar with this port, please advise. Thanks

You are leaving Buffalo, in April?? Wow.. Much braver than i would be.. I know the weather there, and flights are routinely delayed there. If there is ANY WAY possible, take a red eye, or a much earlier flight.. I wouldn't take the risk.. Good Luck..

You are leaving Buffalo, in April?? Wow.. Much braver than i would be.. I know the weather there, and flights are routinely delayed there. If there is ANY WAY possible, take a red eye, or a much earlier flight.. I wouldn't take the risk.. Good Luck..

Lol, no. That cruise is already set in stone and we are flying in TWO days before! This is a good deal I came across on Thanksgiving day. But flying in that day would be the only option. Sorry, work always gets in the way of everything fun :rolleyes: so I am just trying to figure out if it is feasible or not. If I get the cruise insurance, does it cover plane delays causing missing the boat?

Sorry...Some poster's just don't understand that flying in morning of cruise sometimes is the only option some might have.

Thank you! I am well aware it's not the ideal situation but that is why I am trying to ascertain if it is doable before I book anything.

Thank you! I am well aware it's not the ideal situation but that is why I am trying to ascertain if it is doable before I book anything.

To answer your question - it is quite doable. With no luggage to wait for, you could be at the pier a bit after 11 am.

If your flight has a connection, be sure to check out your options in case you miss the connection, as you could still possibly make the ship. For example, when we fly from OKC to FLL on Delta we connect in Atlanta. Delta has a flight from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale about every hour, so if we miss our connection, we can possibly get on the next one (assuming it is not full).

After many years of business travel, I always know the alternative flights in case things go amiss. This also works the other way when we have carryons only - sometimes we can catch an earlier flight by standing by at the connecting airport (another good reason to know your airline's flight schedule).

To answer your question - it is quite doable. With no luggage to wait for, you could be at the pier a bit after 11 am.

If your flight has a connection, be sure to check out your options in case you miss the connection, as you could still possibly make the ship. For example, when we fly from OKC to FLL on Delta we connect in Atlanta. Delta has a flight from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale about every hour, so if we miss our connection, we can possibly get on the next one (assuming it is not full).

After many years of business travel, I always know the alternative flights in case things go amiss. This also works the other way when we have carryons only - sometimes we can catch an earlier flight by standing by at the connecting airport (another good reason to know your airline's flight schedule).

It's a direct flight so less chance of something going wrong

Please, please don't risk it. In theory, it sounds fine... BUT any delay could screw you.

You never think it will happen to you. I thought that once. I had a weekend repositioning cruise this past year and guess what? My transportation got delayed. Guess what? Missed the repo cruise. Don't risk it.

Edited by Jason82

You are taking a risk.

So much can happen (situations that happen daily in air travel) that can cause you to miss the ship.

Not to mention the pressure/stress of such a schedule.

Yes, the port is close.

Anything is doable--your decision.

If you're flying from Buffalo in July, probably no issues. If you're flying from Buffalo in February, you have to hope for good weather and no delays all down the eastern coast.

If you're willing to chance it, go for it--and if you make it, great. If not, live and learn.

Good luck.

Then there are those of us who always fly in on the day of our cruises and have never had a problem. Having a direct flight is always good, less chance of getting delayed while waiting for a connection. At any rate, you would be getting in plenty early on this flight especially, as others have mentioned, since the cruise port is so close to the airport. If this is your best option and you can be fine with it, go for it. If it is out of your comfort zone and there are other options, it's probably better to come in a day before your cruise.