Passengers left behind?

Ken Greco

Has anyone had any of their friends left behind at a port because they were late to when the ship was leaving?

Yes, under 4

circumstances,

Cruise A ....they missed their flight connection and did not make it to the ship.

Cruise B.....The ship left early to outrun a storm with people still on the pier.

Cruise C and D...late arrivals at a port of call thinking the ship will wait for them. One was a mother with a baby stroller. Very sad!

Edited by Ocean Dancer

Yes, under 4

circumstances,

Cruise A ....they missed their flight connection and did not make it to the ship.

Cruise B.....The ship left early to outrun a storm with people still on the pier.

Cruise C and D...late arrivals at a port of call thinking the ship will wait for them. One was a mother with a baby stroller. Very sad!

For B, was an announcement made prior to disembarking that they were leaving early? If not I certainly hope the cruise line paid in full for them to catch up and gave them some sort of apology gift. I can understand needing to outrun a storm, but telling passengers one time and then leaving early isn't really acceptable in my book.

For B, was an announcement made prior to disembarking that they were leaving early? If not I certainly hope the cruise line paid in full for them to catch up and gave them some sort of apology gift. I can understand needing to outrun a storm, but telling passengers one time and then leaving early isn't really acceptable in my book.

The cruise line had no choice, the port was closing so they had to leave when they left, or they were going to have to ride out the storm at the pier.

Yes, under 4

circumstances,

"Cruise A ....they missed their flight connection and did not make it to the ship."

We usually booked with Choice Air. The fare is the same. They just charge $15 more per ticket for their service fees, but we think of that as insurance. If flights are late, they would be responsible to get us to the ship.

Has anyone had any of their friends left behind at a port because they were late to when the ship was leaving?

Yes, two in San Juan, left on the pier in summer clothes, had to pay to fly back to Toronto in February. Six people next to us in an airport who were flying to catch up with their cruise halfway through in Cozumel, because they tried to fly in the same day and their flights were delayed so they would never have made embarkation. Leader of our Meet and Mingle's same day flight from Miami to San Juan got cancelled because crew were snowed in in New York. 250 people joined us in Saint Thomas because they couldn't get to Boston because of Hurricane Sandy even though we sat at the Pier in Boston for two extra days waiting out the storm.

"Cruise A ....they missed their flight connection and did not make it to the ship."

We usually booked with Choice Air. The fare is the same. They just charge $15 more per ticket for their service fees, but we think of that as insurance. If flights are late, they would be responsible to get us to the ship.

One reason we always have cruise insurance and usually arrive a day prior:)

I see my answer to your post is missing as we just had a blurp of power, very windy here.

To repost, I said that there was an announcement from the Captain on board the ship that we will be leaving ASAP 6 hours early, to outrun a storm ( yes we know, our luggage was all wet) People were on the pier, the pier was being shut down. This was in 1996 before cell hones and internet were popular. I can not remember what happened, but since the passengers were NOT late and the ship left early, I THINK they were flown to the next port that we stopped at. I do remember an open bar many times on that sailing. And a lot of unhappy passengers.

Same here plus, we make sure our watches are on Ship time and allow ourselves 2 hours after a tour, to visit the port and get back on board. We prefer to wait back on the ship then race down the pier. One couple was late due to an accident with her husband, possible broken ankle, the ship waited on their arrival from the hospital. The wife came running down the pier while her DH was being pushed in a wheelchair, grabbing his crutches at the ramp and hobbled on board.

Ken Greco. We were on a trip to Caracas and saw 2 young teenage girls get left behind. The ship told us that the traffic was terrible there and for whatever reason the parents let these 2 young girls go alone into town. The ship left and another boat tried to get them onto the ship but the wake was too bad and it had to turn back. I never heard what happened to the girls but I couldn't believe it when we all stood on the deck watching it leave them there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Where can you find a Fort Lauderdale hotel for $100?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're staying at the holiday inn express on se 17th causeway just over $100

Check priceline and that sort of thing, many options depending on star rating

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Megs867

Any of the ports with a Senor Frogs type establishment it happens more often than you imagine.

Yep. Several times we've seen people staggering along on the Cozumel dock, and they start to sprint (to no avail) when they see the ship pulling away.

Horror stories about missing the ship; that is why we always go Fort Lauderdale the night before; $100 hotel room is worth it.

Agree. Since we have to fly to all our embarkation ports we always do a pre-cruise stay. We saw some Carnival cruisers at Grand Turk watching their ship leave while we were on the Grand Princess.

Edited by davekathy

We almost missed a cruise sail away once! Just before our eight year wedding anniversary, the hubby and I were in a multiple rollover accident in South Carolina on the way to cruise port. While in the ER, suffering from a concussion and awaiting MRI and stitches, I did the math to figure exactly how many hours we could spend in the hospital and still have time to find a rental car, purchase some new shoes (mine were lost in wreckage) and the biggest pair of sunglasses we could find (to cover my black eye and stitches), and finish the drive before sail away. In short, we made it, woke up the morning after our first full night's sleep on the ship to find that the real pain comes on the day AFTER the accident...and immediately cashed out all of our shore excursions for three couple's massages. In hindsight, it was a cruise we should have missed. But I had a concussion so wasn't quite in my right mind and the hubby was just doing whatever necessary to prevent his wife from dissolving into hysterics. The poor guy spent the entire cruise getting dirty looks from other passengers who assumed my facial trauma was a result of spousal abuse.

In less than two months, we are cruising again to celebrate our 14 year anniversary. Aiming to be on the ship with plenty of time to spare and NO drama:cool: