Bilbao Shuttle Into Town

I have searched Cruise Critic and read the information about the shuttle service from the port to Bilbao, but the last post I read was from 2014 and had some conflicting information -- some said the shuttle was free, others said it was $10. I was just wondering if anyone has recently taken a HAL ship into the port and took the shuttle into Bilbao. If so, where did it drop you off, how frequently did it run, did they only advertise it the day before you arrived, and if there was a price, what was it? Thanks in advance. JCA

I appreciate your quick response, NM Lady, however, there is a Bilbao in Spain. In fact, Bilbao, is an industrial port city in northern Spain surrounded by green mountains. It’s the de facto capital of Basque Country, with a skyscraper-filled downtown. It’s famed for the Frank Gehry–designed Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, which sparked revitalization when it opened in 1997. The museum houses modern and contemporary works from prominent artists, but it’s the curvy, titanium-clad building that receives the most attention.

Me thinks the OP is talking about Bilbao, Spain (home of the famous Guggenheim Museum) which is actually a very nice place for a port day. The last two times we were there on cruises (2 different cruise lines) the ships promoted tours that included shuttle service at a hefty price. It was only the night before we got there that the information was provided that there would be free shuttle service (very nice buses) running all day between the port and the city. Those that had already purchased excursions where unable to cancel at that point and those that knew better just bit their lips to avoid saying "we told you so."

So my advice is simple. If you just want to go into town (from where you can walk, use the tram, etc to get just about everywhere) then you may have to specifically ask if your cruise will have the free shuttle service (which was actually provided by the city...and not the cruise line). You can try asking at Guest Services where you have a better chance of getting an honest answer then at the shore excursion office. But no guarantee if you will get an honest answer anywhere....as these days, cruises pull out all the stops to promote their own excursions (which generate nice profits).

It is also possible to walk out of the port and use low cost public transit to get to Bilbao, but that is a whole different topic and perhaps not the best option for most cruisers.

Hank

P.S. To NM Lady....we would love to know where Bilbao, Portugal is located, Have not been there and perhaps we have missed something good?

Edited by Hlitner

There is no Bilbao in Portugal but there is a town of Portugalete which can be considered a suburb on Bilbao. May be Portuguese used to be there at some point.

As public transit goes the closest metro station to port is Neguri (20-25 min walk). Metro is Bilbao is modern and cheap. Ride to centre is about 25-30 min. Central area stations will be Moyua, Abando & Casco Viejo (old town). Moyua will be closest to Guggenheim (10 min walk). Also major shopping area is near Moyua. Better selection of pintxos bars and restaurants are in old town near Plaza Nueva. Also Bilbao market in Old town (Mercado del Ribera) is very good and has nice but busy restaurant. IMHO its a bigger, better (and definitely cheaper) than more famous La Brexa market in San Sebastian.

Judging by distance my educated guess for taxi fare will be around 25 euro from port to Guggenheim.

Edited by hkto

Me thinks the OP is talking about Bilbao, Spain ...

Hank

P.S. To NM Lady....we would love to know where Bilbao, Portugal is located, Have not been there and perhaps we have missed something good?

I stand corrected. I got my countries mixed up. I forgot that when we were in Spain and then Portugal in 1991 that we returned from Lisbon Portugal to Spain, to Bilbao.

Edited by NMLady