1st time Princess - elevator choice/noise?

MJfromCA

Hi, I'm a long-time cruiser (Celebrity, HAL, Regent, some others now defunct) but considering Princess (Crown) for the first time. I'm trying to understand which elevators are best to be near, and how near is too near.

Which set of elevators (stern, central, aft) do you prefer to be near and why? And how many cabins away from them do you need to be to not hear the "bings" or too much "people noise"?

Looking forward to experiencing Princess! I know it is not this forum per se, but you have any other clues about cabin location on Dolphin deck of Crown Princess, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks!

Edited by MJfromCA

Hi, I'm a long-time cruiser (Celebrity, HAL, Regent, some others now defunct) but considering Princess (Crown) for the first time. I'm trying to understand which elevators are best to be near, and how near is too near.

Which set of elevators (stern, central, aft) do you prefer to be near and why? And how many cabins away from them do you need to be to not hear the "bings" or too much "people noise"?

Looking forward to experiencing Princess! I know it is not this forum per se, but you have any other clues about cabin location on Dolphin deck of Crown Princess, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks!

We stay in the aft. Not because of noise. When we first started cruising we stayed in a cabin as close to elevators as you could get. We didn't notice any noise at all from the elevators. Some rude people talking loud late at night heading to their room a couple nights was a wake-up. Being aft nobody is walking past our room unless there next door. No noise from the hall way. We like sitting out on our balcony looking at the wake and relaxing. I'm not sure about all the aft balcony's but most are bigger on the aft of the ship.

The aft and central elevators are closer to most of the food venues. This is one of the reasons that we usually pick a cabin as far forward as possible. Every step metabolizes more of that food that I have scarfed down. :D

It's been my experience that the forward elevators are the least busy, except when the show at the Princess Theater is letting out. The central bank on most Princess ships consists of 4 regular elevators and 2 glass elevators. The problem is they aren't in sync with each other. They seem to always be the most crowded with the longest wait, even though they have the most elevators. The aft elevators are the closest to the buffet and aft Traditional Dining Room.

On my first cruise on the Emerald, which has the same layout as the Crown, I was in an inside room aft on the Dolphin Deck with just one cabin between my cabin and the aft elevators. I never heard a sound from the elevators and little hallway noise. My next cruise I am near the central elevators as I want to be closer to the Piazza and International Cafe. My parents had a cabin midway between the aft and central elevators. That wasn't a bad location as they could walk to the aft and go up to the Horizon Court or walk to the central ones and go down to the Piazza and Anytime Dining Rooms. I will though usually use the stairs in the central area instead of those elevators.

Edited by Jase0581

Just remember, if you use the aft elevators or stairs, they only go down to deck 6 (which is the main dining room). So if you want to go forward, you need to be sure to stop at deck 7. That little glitch caught me the first few times when I was on the Crown on Emerald deck aft.

I usually try to book near the aft elevators. Rarely hear noise. The Princess cabin doors are very well insulated so unless someone is yelling (which is always possible no matter where your cabin is located), you usually don't hear anything. Heck, in order to hear PA announcements in the hallway, you have to open the door to hear them.

We like and always book a Mini-Suite on Dolphin Deck as close as possible ... (directly across) from the mid-ship elevator lobby. Never a noise problem and it's a great and an extremely convenient location. :)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

A couple of cruises ago we were midship on the Golden and just steps away from a bank of elevators. Never heard them. I guess if there's a group getting off the elevators gabbing at high volume, you'll hear them, but the same group walking down the hallway could disturb you anywhere near your cabin.

My only elevator "problem" was once on Lido deck. Our cabin was too close to where the forward elevators disgorge people, and all the loud talking was disturbing us. Until they get to know the ship, people are confused by the elevators opening into a cabin section of the ship when they were expecting to see the pool. Then they talk about it. Loudly. LOL. :)

My only elevator "problem" was once on Lido deck. Our cabin was too close to where the forward elevators disgorge people, and all the loud talking was disturbing us. Until they get to know the ship, people are confused by the elevators opening into a cabin section of the ship when they were expecting to see the pool. Then they talk about it. Loudly. LOL. :)

On Lido they are heading out to the pool area.........

In that location I always tell people to book cabins forward of those elevators. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We stayed in C712 on the Crown on our last cruise, it was the last inside available at the price we wanted to pay in the aft section. My husband and I were shocked that we didn't hear ANY noise, from passengers or the elevator. We were ready to be mildly annoyed, but there was nothing.

2016-02-11%2020.04.43.jpg

We stayed in C712 on the Crown on our last cruise, it was the last inside available at the price we wanted to pay in the aft section. My husband and I were shocked that we didn't hear ANY noise, from passengers or the elevator. We were ready to be mildly annoyed, but there was nothing.

We stayed in a similar cabin and heard the cars/cables/weights/clanging 24/7. :mad:

We were moved.

For the other part of the question, the aft elevators get really busy at dinner time and other peak entertainment times. My husband and I like to walk to the forward elevators and take those down, but the aft elevators are great the rest of the time. Ideally, my husband and I would book a mini suite on Emerald(8) because it's much easier to walk down one flight of stairs to get to all the entertainment and Piazza, then take any elevator we want back up later because the crowds die down.

We also found a problem with the Caribe deck, was by the time the elevators would stop they would be completely full. When we were on Emerald before, during busy times we would run down one floor and take the elevator up from there to Lido. So I would prefer to be only one flight of stairs away from the decks I expect to spend the most time on.

I really appreciate all these quick, helpful responses! Booked near the aft elevators yesterday. Good to know that means we need to use the central or forward elevators on our deck (or get off on Deck 7 to go forward) if we need to get to the Piazza or lower theater level. And to potentially go down a level to catch elevators going up at busy times.

Thank you all! Can't wait to try Princess.

Edited by MJfromCA