Trips from Savona

aloncruise

Hi All -

We are planned to return from our cruise on a Sunday in Savona, and our flight back home leaves from Milano on Tuesday.

Any ideas for day trips around Savona or on the way from Savona to Milan?

we were thinking of spending Sunday night in Torino and then head in the evening to Milan;

any ideas? is there anything to do in Savona itself?

Thank you :)

Welcome to CC.

Although Savona is a lovely town, with the exception of the fortress and church there is not much to see. Some suggestions:

a. Trip to Monaco, spectacular scenery along the coast road.

b. Portofino, great place.

c. Genoa, old town, aquarium, harbour tour.

There are so many beautiful places along that coast.

We recently had a pre cruise stay in Genoa and had day trips to Portofino and other places en route. I am not keen on Milan, unless to pass through, but I don't like big cities very much

Just remember train travel is easy in Italy and relatively cheap.

I would recommend the NH Darsena Hotel in Savona and the Grand Hotel Savoia in Genoa.

Caryl

• 1 month later...

Hi there

I am also on the Magica sailing on 28th from Savona thanks fir the info on Genoa as I have 2 days there before sailing.

Planning transfer to Savona by train and taxi as this seems the best option.

This will be my 4th Costa Cruise but first transatlantic with them - although I did 26 day Dubai to China in March this year which was great.

Looking forward to the Magica as its my first time on this ship.

Any ideas on what to do in Genoa would be welcome

Many thanks

Sue

Hi there

I am also on the Magica sailing on 28th from Savona thanks fir the info on Genoa as I have 2 days there before sailing.

This will be my 4th Costa Cruise but first transatlantic with them - although I did 26 day Dubai to China in March this year which was great.

Looking forward to the Magica as its my first time on this ship.

Any ideas on what to do in Genoa would be welcome

Many thanks

Sue

Susieq45,

We are on the Dubai to Shanghai cruise next March on the Fortuna. Been on her a few times before. Any advice on the ports? Did you go to the Taj Mahal?

Hi Sue,

Have you thought about taking the Costa transfer from Genoa Airport to Savona, leaves about 13:00, takes about 3/4 hours and costs €21 p.p.

An excursion to Portofino is always worth the trip, I think there are boast excurions from Genoa.

Edited by G.M.T.

Susieq45,

We are on the Dubai to Shanghai cruise next March on the Fortuna. Been on her a few times before. Any advice on the ports? Did you go to the Taj Mahal?

Salve,

We did the Taj Mahal, years ago, long journey but worth it, we had time on our hands. I see you will only have three days between Mumbai and Cochin.

We did Dubai to Singapore some years ago. In Mumbai we used Mumbai Magic (they also cover Cochin), the owner / contact person is very knowledgeable and arranged a perfect two days in Mumbai.

In Singapore we had five days and booked 4 tours by rmgtours, includes pick up and return to cruise terminal.

If I can help with any other info, let me know.

Salve,

We did the Taj Mahal, years ago, long journey but worth it, we had time on our hands. I see you will only have three days between Mumbai and Cochin.

We did Dubai to Singapore some years ago. In Mumbai we used Mumbai Magic (they also cover Cochin), the owner / contact person is very knowledgeable and arranged a perfect two days in Mumbai.

In Singapore we had five days and booked 4 tours by rmgtours, includes pick up and return to cruise terminal.

If I can help with any other info, let me know.

GMT,

Thanks for the info. As we get closer I may need more advice.

Thanks

Although I passed through Savona a couple of times (embarking/disembarking) last June I decided for an overnight stay there and did not regret it. Stayed in the NH Darsena Savona which is steps from the cruise terminal and also located in the 'new' area around the old port which has some nice restaurants and is very near the historical city centre (some nice churches and a palace (part of the University and Library now) which once belonged to a Pope) as well as the fortress (nice views, small but interesting museum).

As mentioned the trip along the coast towards Nice and Monaco is amazing. beautiful towns, breathtaking scenery. On the other direction Genova has much to offer (spent once two days there and still did not see it all). Train from Savona to Milan takes about 2 hours. Milan I also find interesting (and till October there is a World Expo there). I feel that actually you may have more options from sunday to Tuesday than time.