Food choice at Breakfast in Lido?

stevieboy2k

Hello All,

This is yet again my seemingly once yearly post! I am booked to sail on Costa Mediterranea on 25th September for one week.

It appears on cruise critic reviews that Costa have stopped serving hot food in the lido buffet for breakfast and appears to be continental only - I'm find this a bit hard to believe?

Can anyone who's recently sailed with any Costa (particularly the Mediterranea) confirm or deny this?

Many Thanks!!

Hello All,

This is yet again my seemingly once yearly post! I am booked to sail on Costa Mediterranea on 25th September for one week.

It appears on cruise critic reviews that Costa have stopped serving hot food in the lido buffet for breakfast and appears to be continental only - I'm find this a bit hard to believe?

Can anyone who's recently sailed with any Costa (particularly the Mediterranea) confirm or deny this?

Many Thanks!!

Now that's hard to believe ...

Can you please post links that state only contiental style breakfast available in buffet.

There are various options for breakfast. early riser 06:00 coffee and croissant maybe the reviewer thought that was the only option) to late breakfast upto about 10:00. I've always have had my two fried eggs and DW her scrambled egg in the MDR or buffet.

Reading some of the Med reviews, it was painfully obvious that the reviewers had not done their homework, i.e. no access to irons - each ship has an ironing service, Israeli passenger only port for breakfast - why didn't they contact the special needs / dietary department before the cruise, and so on.

The Med is my favourit Costa ship.

Why not give Costa a ring about only cold breakfasts.

Over the years in reading CC, I have come to the conclusion that there 3 maion reasons why bad reviews are posted:

a. Passengers have one or more genuine problems that have not been resolved onboard.

b.Passengers are pi..ed of because they did not get a free upgrade, paid a very low price for the cruise and expect luxury cruise conditions, tend to talk down to the crew and the crew react accordingly. The list goes on.

3. What I call the American Bubble, passengers from outside Europe who what to feel and see the local culture but then go back to their American Bubble on the ship, but the ship is Italian (also the ships are registered in Italy). In Europe you never get iced water served with dinner.

I've never been able to get Black Pudding for Breakfast or Mushy Peas for lunch, but I have never compalined.;)

My thoughts exactly on this - I've sailed with Costa twice now and had cooked food in the buffet at breakfast. I've always enjoyed Costa's food and never had a problem with it...

Here are the reviews I found:

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=509599

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=507511

Let me know what you think of this!

Late Riser's breakfast (I don't do Early Riser if I'm on vacation) is available until lunch service opens. The choice may be a bit limited by then, but it's definitely more than continental.

I agree with GMT, many of the reviews are either completely inaccurate, or else, what on earth was their travel agent thinking, recommending Costa, this person was never going to be happy. Although "American" bubble is a bit unfair, I've seen UK persons as well. And some Northern Europeans also bemused by their southern neighbours.

Late Riser's breakfast (I don't do Early Riser if I'm on vacation) is available until lunch service opens. The choice may be a bit limited by then, but it's definitely more than continental.

I agree with GMT, many of the reviews are either completely inaccurate, or else, what on earth was their travel agent thinking, recommending Costa, this person was never going to be happy. Although "American" bubble is a bit unfair, I've seen UK persons as well. And some Northern Europeans also bemused by their southern neighbours.

Too true. :) I will investigate Monday morning first hand. Off on the Deliziosa tomorrow. :D

I sailed on Favolosa in June and this is the case. THe buffet now only serves Italian breakfast - which is essentially continental - breads, cheeses, cold cuts, pastries, fruits and yoghurts.

If you wish to have hot breakfast you must head to the MDR - this has resulted in the buffet getting somewhat quieter and the MDR getting more busy. In the MDR you can have International Breakfast - American Pancakes, Full English, Belgian waffles, Mexican huevos and they have a full range of 'eggy' dishes - Benedict, Omlettes etc.

But yes it us true since JUne 2015 - continental only in the buffet. Since June - no butter with bread for dinner unless you ask and no tea / coffee at the buffet at lunch time!

I sailed on Favolosa in June and this is the case. THe buffet now only serves Italian breakfast - which is essentially continental - breads, cheeses, cold cuts, pastries, fruits and yoghurts.

If you wish to have hot breakfast you must head to the MDR - this has resulted in the buffet getting somewhat quieter and the MDR getting more busy. In the MDR you can have International Breakfast - American Pancakes, Full English, Belgian waffles, Mexican huevos and they have a full range of 'eggy' dishes - Benedict, Omlettes etc.

But yes it us true since JUne 2015 - continental only in the buffet. Since June - no butter with bread for dinner unless you ask and no tea / coffee at the buffet at lunch time!

Hmmmm. I'm on the Favolosa in October. That does not sound very good!

Hmmmm. I'm on the Favolosa in October. That does not sound very good!

As we avoid the bun fight in the buffet anyway and breakfast in the MDR (we have 3 small kids!) it made little difference to us except that it was much busier than Pacifica or Serena was for us. The only downside is that the MDR closes at 9am and there is no point arriving at 0850 thinking you can stay til 0930 - 0945 as they take the food away (the buffet part) exactly at 0900!

However, we were very lucky that on 3 cruises on 3 different ships Salvatore was the Maitre D' in the MDR and he looked after us so well!

If you are interested in my Favolosa experience you can see it here:

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=10245

Edited by tomvet

• 2 weeks later...
Hello All,

Many Thanks!!

Just off the Med on Friday and yes, If I see one more croissant, I`m going postal. Oh they had cold cuts of ham, an turkey and every color donut possible.

We ate in the MDR every morning after the 1st day. It was usually pretty crowded.

-

She, like all the Spirit class ships, is great, but if you`ve never done this run before, be prepared. The Prime Rib came in slices and tasted like flank steak.

The ports MORE than made up for the average food. JMHO

Oh dear, not good news. My Costa routine fro breakfast has been to go to the back pool area where they usually have a limited hot buffet and get something there and my cappucino from the bar and sit out in the fresh air in relative peace and quiet.

Looks like my new routine is going to have to. E MDR and get up sharper!

Still my next cruise is not until Nov 2016, so it all may have changed again by then.

Oh no! Is late riser's breakfast gone too? Will I have to wait another 30 minutes to lunch service?

Seriously, it's annoying but not a deal-breaker. I wasn't impressed by MSC when I was on Divina, and I figure if they haven't started doing this too they will soon.

Oh no! Is late riser's breakfast gone too? Will I have to wait another 30 minutes to lunch service?

Seriously, it's annoying but not a deal-breaker. I wasn't impressed by MSC when I was on Divina, and I figure if they haven't started doing this too they will soon.

Completely agree! Irritating but not enough to make me regret booking another Costa cruise.

Maybe this is just for the med?

As for MSC, I suspect you'll be proven correct. Although I prefer their MDR breakfast anyway as it is waiter service.

Most cruiselines seem to be continuing to look for cost cutting measures, this is yet another one and I suspect the Italians on Med cruises just won't care about it at all.

This Italian (in Buffet) and International (MDR) breakfast started back in June actually mid cruise our Favolosa cruise which is 'officially' CPH to CPH, however we embarked in Warnemunde the previous day so had one day of the 'old' arrangement and then on the second day everything had changed. Most notably:

No hot buffet as has been described

No butter with bread at dinner (unless you ask!)

No tea / coffee outside breakfast and afternoon tea time (from 1530 - 1730ish).

Completely agree! Irritating but not enough to make me regret booking another Costa cruise.

Maybe this is just for the med?

As for MSC, I suspect you'll be proven correct. Although I prefer their MDR breakfast anyway as it is waiter service.

Most cruiselines seem to be continuing to look for cost cutting measures, this is yet another one and I suspect the Italians on Med cruises just won't care about it at all.

We have just returned from the Deliziosa and were aware of the changes before we went and to be honest it made little difference to our cruise. Breakfast is just a splash and dash for us and we don't like the wait we have previously experienced in the MDR. Reports form others we spoke to suggested service was slow.

wpid-wp-1442413848587.jpg

Whats not to like?;);)

Thanks for posting the great review on Costa Favolosa.

We are getting on the ship in few weeks and you really answered many of our questions. Re buffet and dining room

We are not new to cruising but we are new to Costa and are looking forward to our 7 days cruise.

Again thanks Sue

• 2 weeks later...

We loved our Mediterranea cruise last week. Our second one this year with no hot breakfast and we never missed it. This was our first time without a drinks package and we did miss the tea and coffee. None available until 4pm afternoon teatime when the machines were set up again. Will definitely go all inclusive next time for unlimited supply of juice and coffee. :)

Caryl

Just off the he Fortuna after 9 days on the Med. The lido is cold food only wi h a good variety of hot food in the MDR. Well staffed meant that wait was 5-10 minutes which was fine as there was toast etc available until hot food arrived. Avoid the full English though

Edited by IrishGuy58

Hi Gothencruiser

Corfu : walk out of the cruise terminal and turn left and no distance away there is a town bus sitting waiting for you. I cant remember the exact amount but its something like 1.80 euro single fare. A woman will be standing outside the bus taking the fares. They drop you off in town near the seafront further along the shore . Its very central for the old town. Easy to find the bus coming back as well.

Venice : Just walk off the ship and there is a booth selling tickets for the vaporetto. Buy a return and you save a euro. Think its 12 or 13 eoros but cant remember. Good deal! The vaporetto is just a few strides away. So easy!

Make sure you walk around the university area when in Venice

Dubrovnik : There were 4 of us so we took a taxi. It was 17 euros into centre of town. Plenty of taxis at terminal and in town to return

Split : Youre in town already and a pleasant walk along the shore but its a long walk for anyone with a disability. We got internet and reasonable priced drinks at a cafe en route - it was so hot we needed a rest!

Kotor : Tender right into centre. Wonderful to see the ship coming through the fjords. Beautiful place.

Argostoli : The one port we were disappointed with. Just walk off the ship and youre in town but theres nothing of any particular beauty to it. I wondered later if we should have done a tour, but there wasnt much of a choice. Souvenirs here were at least 10 per cent more expensive than Corfu.

Trieste: Bang in the middle of town. Freezing cold when we were there! They get a lot of cold wind apparently so have your jackets ready! Plenty nice coffee shops to sit in . There is a little funicular train that takes you up the hill. Cheap as its an ordinary service for the locals. Would be nice views on a clear day, but the town at the top and over the other side is a nothing to see kind of place

Anything else you need to know? Hope you have a great time. I could do it all again. Its the best cruise itinerary going imo!!

Caryl