neoRomantica Stateroom Coffee Machine

Bill B

I was looking forward to making coffee with the machine provided in the staterooms on the neoRomantica. However, I have read - to my surprise - in reviews it is 'chargeable' (I assume on the minibar account).

How exactly does the machine work? Could it be used to heat water for instant coffee?

The machine uses coffee pods which are charged per pod. We found that if you fill the water reservoir and follow the instructions without inserting a pod then you get just boiling water. We took our own tea bags and instant coffee but 'borrowed' coffee mugs from the buffet and enjoyed our early morning brew-up!

Okay, thanks. I'll take some Nescafe and steal sugar & cream from the buffet - I assume the coffee pods are expensive.

I have a small, Black & Decker 'Brew 'N Go' drip coffee machine I bought for cruises years ago... but it's in Canada and I'm in China (although I do have my tux).

• 2 months later...

Keurig won´t fit! On the neoRiviera it´s the Dolce Gusto system by Nescafe. I read reviews that one pod is free and all others are 1.50 Euro. I´m thinking about buying a package (16 or 18 pods) and bring it with me :D!

steamboats

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been on NeoRomantica twice - I am pretty sure it was Lavazza pods which were in the coffee machine. I doubt you could boil it as a kettle -

But room service will do tea/coffee ..

You dont need to use the pod machine although it makes a decent espresso.

thanks for your info I only need coffee early in the morning when we wake up :) we are booked a premium cabin so room service is free i think?

how did you find the service on the neo ships? is it different from the normal costa ships? i have been on the favolosa so far

I´ll be on the neoRiviera over Easter. As I don´t know the Dolce Gusto machines yet I can´t tell you whether they do work without a pod and just produce hot water (which of course is for free, you pay for the used pods).

steamboats

thanks for your info I only need coffee early in the morning when we wake up :) we are booked a premium cabin so room service is free i think?

how did you find the service on the neo ships? is it different from the normal costa ships? i have been on the favolosa so far

We have only ever been on the NeoR and the Magica - They are worlds apart. Like two different cruiselines.

Have not been on the neo ships so can not comment on the exact machines they have on board.

I do have a Dulce Gusto machine at home which I use all the time.

You are able to use it to heat water.

Pods from some brands will fit the machine others will not... eg in Australia I know that the Lavazza pods do not fit the Dulce Gusto machine.. there is supposedly some way to make them fit by using a pin to pierce the pod but I have never done it so no idea how.

Do they not take food and drink off you at embarkation? That's what I've been led to believe.

I'm waiting for the 'How To Smuggle Coffee Onto Cruise Ships' video on YouTube. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Noticed no info re ability to use coffee machines for hot water. One person said it was possible! (On Costa Neo Romantica)? On Princess, Celebrity and Royal Carribean always had access to water, tea and coffee. Surely water, tea and coffee must be available throughout the day without having to pay for drinks package etc. Can you use the water from tap in cabin?? Thanks for any info.