Costa NeoRomantica - Indian Ocean - Information about ports needed

onyx007

Indian Ocean - Information needed - Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagasgar and La Reunion

I justed booked a cruise with Costa's NeoRomantica next January 9th, 2016 with the above ports of call;

We will stay 2 nights at the Seychelles (Mahé), arriving at the first day at

9am and departing on day 3 at 1 pm, so we might be able to do two trips on the first two days and on day 3 maybe another stroll around Mahé.

and in Madagascar we have three ports of call; Nosy Be, Antisranana(Diego Suarez) and Toamasina (Tamatave).

Any information about private tours or also reviews of bord tours are highly welcome, as it will our first time in the Indian ocean.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We are leaving Savona in Italy 17th November 2015 (I think!!) although the cruise ship actually leaves from Marseilles. We write a blog everyday but due to wifi access it only gets uploaded when we find some free wifi.....hope this helps!:)

We are leaving Savona in Italy 17th November 2015 (I think!!) although the cruise ship actually leaves from Marseilles. We write a blog everyday but due to wifi access it only gets uploaded when we find some free wifi.....hope this helps!:)

Yeah, I will look into it. We start at the 8th or 9th of January from Mauritius.

And we anyway will not book any tours in advance, so I will check your blog for inspirations what to do in the ports we'll visit.

...a little tipp for free wifi...look out for crew members; if they are allowed to go off board they almost always go to places with wifi...

• 3 weeks later...
If there is anything specific you need to know, let us know and we will try to find out.........:)

I don't know how you will travel around. We're happy to join board tours to see the islands; but if there is a cheaper and equaly safe option we go for that, as we did in the Caribbean last year.

If you go as well with tours from Costa, then I like to know which tours you did and how you liked them.

If you go on your own I would like to know if you just went with a taxi or if you found some local tour operator. If you go like this I would also like to know what you did and how much you paid for it, as I like to compare it with the Costa tours.

We are three people and speak all German. One of us speaks as well French and I speak of course English. But the language is not a big problem as we are more interested to see the nature and sights...

Thanks in advance.

Edited by onyx007

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks for the link, but this page is only nice if you need information about

the area around the port. We like to explore the Islands, so we need informations about excursions...

Beside the link I mentioned, I watch different Youtube video's to get inspired.

It's very rare that we book shore excursions, because of the high prices and... the weather. On the ship I try to meet as many pax as possible during the meals. We always find a couple to share a taxi. I'm sure you'll find enough info in your hotels too. It's a pity that we aren't on the same cruise, because I do speak German and French too.

On that link you'll find also excursions offered by locals. Also click at 'video' to get idea's. Consult also Google, Wikitravel and travel guides in the library. Hope you succeed. Please let me know if you find something interesting, including the price.

• 1 month later...
If there is anything specific you need to know, let us know and we will try to find out.........:)

Hi.. I am on neoromantica cruise leaving port louis in february

I have a bad neck and would like yo know how good/bad roads are in madagascar and seuchelles before booking shore excursions.

Can somebody help??

Thanks

We are doing this cruise from Port Louis 26th next month, and just realized we are going to need a visa for Madagascar. Do we have to get one in advance, or will Costa order it for all passengers, or can we buy it in port? Seems like Mauritius, Seyshelles and Reunion does not require a visa...

We are doing this cruise from Port Louis 26th next month, and just realized we are going to need a visa for Madagascar. Do we have to get one in advance, or will Costa order it for all passengers, or can we buy it in port? Seems like Mauritius, Seyshelles and Reunion does not require a visa...

Visa requirements vary according to your nationality.

In the latest German Costa catalog it states that German passport holders will receive a free of charge visa at the first stop in Madagascar.

This is from the Malagasy (think thats right) consulate in USA:

CRUISE SHIPS If you will be a passenger on a cruise ship:

Almost all cruise companies make arrangements to have visas delivered to their passengers at the first port of call in Madagascar. Please check with your cruise company to make sure that they will indeed be making such arrangements. In the unlikely event that they will not, you will need to obtain a visa before you get on the ship. If you are inquiring on behalf of a cruise company, a list of passengers and crew members must be submitted by the Ship's Captain including:

• nationality
  • passport number and date of issue

To be on the safe side, suggest you contact your Costa office / TA to get the latest information.

Have a great cruise.

I got this answer from Costa:

regarding Madagascar , visa is not required for citizen of ( )

A visa on arrival is issued for passenger in transit

I am not sure what they are trying to tell me, that a visa is not required, or that I will get one at arrival???

Either is good I guess ;-)

A tip that I learnt with Costa, print out any emails & documentation to take with you on the cruise. One never knows if they came in handy.

Your answer from Costa must be the quickest on record, well done.

Edited by G.M.T.

I am not sure what they are trying to tell me, that a visa is not required, or that I will get one at arrival???

Check out this link, visa upon arrival:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/madagascar.html

G'Day cruisers. I have learnt that Australians need a Visa for Madagascar but apparently the others (Seychelles, Reunion and Mauritius) are all fine with cruiseship provided temp visas.

Cheers

El