Are felons allowed to cruise?

ssatterly

Ok Ok.. Here is a question that maybe someone could answer. My step son now would like to come with us...BUT there is a few questions I won't book him untill I know the answers for sure....Ok right now he is in prison he gets out Aug. 18th...He is a felon..Can felon's go on cruises? Also how much would it cost to add him to our blacony cabin. I won't add him untill I know for sure if he can go and i won't add him untill he has offically set foot out of prison...I don't want to spend the money till I know for sure he would be allowed togo..

Thanks

Definitely sounds like a question for your TA or PVP (depending on how you booked) or a call to the 800# if you booked online yourself. I don't know that the experts here could give you a definitive answer on that one, but the cruise line or TA could. Good luck.

Ok Ok.. Here is a question that maybe someone could answer. My step son now would like to come with us...BUT there is a few questions I won't book him untill I know the answers for sure....Ok right now he is in prison he gets out Aug. 18th...He is a felon..Can felon's go on cruises? Also how much would it cost to add him to our blacony cabin. I won't add him untill I know for sure if he can go and i won't add him untill he has offically set foot out of prison...I don't want to spend the money till I know for sure he would be allowed togo..

Thanks

really??? why are you asking such a question here?

It al depends on his parole terms and conditions.

You would have better luck calling the propper authorities or even googling to get the correct information, than you will have here with all the "expert advice" you are about to get.

:rolleyes:

really??? why are you asking such a question here?

It al depends on his parole terms and conditions.

You would have better luck calling the propper authorities or even googling to get the correct information, than you will have here with all the "expert advice" you are about to get.

:rolleyes:

He won't be on parole he wil have served his entire sentence of over a year.

I wouldn't think a felony would prevent it per se, and I don't think details are needed. I guess there may be some felonies that would prevent travel into certain countries. However, if he is released on parole he may have his travel restricted, and there may be other restrictions/requirements he has upon release.

I would also check the countries you are visiting..I know some countries will not allow you entrance if you have a felony conviction..Canada is pretty strict on this there are a few other countries but I am not sure of which ones

He won't be on parole he wil have served his entire sentence of over a year.

probation? anything that will restrict his ability to travel?

A lawyer from your state would be a more reliable source of info.

As for Carnival, or any other cruiseline, I am not aware of anyway they would know the information, unless they were on a prohibited from travel list, he may have to stay onboard in some countries.

If people have money and the needed travel documents, I'm pretty sure they do not care. If they are allowed to travel they will probably take the money.

You need to talk to someone from the state he is in.

Thanks

your first place to start is his probabtion officer. i believe felon's can NOT travel. it's the unfortunate terminology "felony" that can stop travel. first off, they can not get a passport. but even though the cruise can be closed loop, their may be issue's with customs. so again, first stop is the legal end.. his probabtion then the courts. then find out what carnival's policy is. if he is just someone whos done jail time, then he can travel. again, its the terminology of his crime.

your first place to start is his probabtion officer. i believe felon's can NOT travel. it's the unfortunate terminology "felony" that can stop travel. first off, they can not get a passport....

You are wrong. A felon can get a passport in the US.

Did ya'll happen to notice that OP posted about 20 minutes ago that there is NO probation involved since step-son will have served entire sentence? There will not be any probation officer involved in this situation and there are no limits on travel within the US, except for the exceptions regarding convicted sex offenders.

OP, you need to check with Carnival and also inquire about the various ports of call to see if he will be welcome. It will be other countries' policies that you will need to be concerned about.

Did ya'll happen to notice that OP posted about 20 minutes ago that there is NO probation involved since step-son will have served entire sentence? There will not be any probation officer involved in this situation and there are no limits on travel within the US, except for the exceptions regarding convicted sex offenders.

OP, you need to check with Carnival and also inquire about the various ports of call to see if he will be welcome. It will be other countries' policies that you will need to be concerned about.

I'm thinking the State Department might also be a good starting point ;)

A relative on my husband's side is a felon for drug possession and I'm sure selling it too, and he was able to go on several cruises. He's been out for over 5 years though, not sure if it makes a difference. I don't know much more than that because we don't really speak to him.

Thanks

Step-son would be added to your cabin at the current 3rd/4th person rate when you add him. The problems with adding someone later include: your cabin may not accommodate 3 PAX in which case you'd have to switch cabins (which might not be available), and the ship may be over capacity (and you may not be able to add even if you have a 3 or 4 PAX cabin).

Carnival doesn't care about Criminal record. If he's not on Parole and has no warrants and has proper travel documentation (does/can he have a Drivers License - some states take them from felons). Getting into Canada via Canadian Immigration would be a problem.

ken

Not sure which cruise you are looking at....but it is my understanding that he will not be allowed into Canada.

We have several couples on our cruise out of New York that had some minor infractions on their record and they were denied entrance into the Canadian ports...

The regulations vary by State whether or not someone on Parobation/ Parole may travel. Just because they serve their "entire" sentence...does not mean that they will not be on Probation/ Parole. It depends by state, so before you book be 100% sure he will not be on any terms and conditions of Probation/ Parole...because if he is, he will not be allowed to travel outside the US. Felons may travel outside the US and can obtain passports. Many Countries have restrictions on felon's, even previous felon's, traveling into their Country. However, on a cruise, they would not know unless he was stopped and got in trouble some how.

I have a friend who has a felony drug conviction. He recently got a passport and went on a Carnival Cruise 3 months ago. The ship went to Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. He had no problems getting a passport, or traveling on any of the islands. Good Luck

I know its none of our buisness what he did in the past, so Im not going to ask, but as far as being a felon goes, there is a wide range of the infractions of the law he could have done; anyway;

1) If he is on probation, make sure he is not violating terms, his PO will also be able to get you resources as far as making sure he is allowed in certain countries IF that were to be an issue (That I haven't heard of)

2) Make sure that nothing he will do on his cruise would violate the probation

3) As far as cruiselines themselves, I haven't heard of them not allowing people that have comitted felonies to board.

Good Luck, just make sure you do follow up with his PO first before you go, you would hate to make the situation worse by doing something to violate terms, and Hopefully everything works out OK and he can go!

Archived