Giving a Cruise as a Wedding Gift

I've never booked a cruise for someone else. How exactly would I handle this? I want to put the initial deposit on my Royal Caribbean card, and when it comes time for final payment, that'll go on my card, too. But I would want them to have the cruise appear in their own "My Cruises" account.

I don't think that you will have any problem with that.

We sent our oldest son on an Azamara cruies.....Rome to Venice, for their honeymoon, and they continually say.........after 3 years.......that was the best gift we could have given them.

Please give me you email address........and I would be happy to help you......to give a gift of a lifetime.:)

Rick

We gave both of our children a cruise as a wedding gift. We went through a TA and let them know that we would be paying for it. We gave the Booking number to the kids and since the cruise was in their names, they were able to access it in their "my cruise" page. RCI doesn't care who pays for it, as long as it's paid for :D.

Congratulations to your lucky kids.

We have done it the other way and sent 2 sets of parents on cruises. The only hitch that was easy to sort was that they wanted the name and address of the credit card payment to match that of the cruisers so we couldn't do it online. We went to the TA office and they took care of it - booked it in their names etc and took the payment from me - the TA's view was they didn't care who paid as long as it was paid.

You're right ... it is for one of my kids. I made it clear years ago that they pay for their own weddings (they make much more careful choices on cost that way). Then I give them a nice wedding gift. The cruise they are looking at for the honeymoon fits into my price range. I have time on this yet since the big day isn't till later next year. But once the itineraries come out I want to have a process in hand. So it looks like I can't do it on the web site (since the name on the card won't match ... but can I do it by phone? I want them to be able to log into their own cruise account and manage it (you know, those little perks like watching for your price drops and nabbing an upgrade if possible). My DD won't want to deal with an intermediary like a TA.

We gave our daughter and her husband a cruise for a wedding gift. We knew it was something they would love but wouldn't do on their own. We felt RC was the best line for them because they are very active.

I wish someone would give me a cruise for a gift.

It is sooooo incredibly simple to do you will not believe it!

Our oldest son and his fiance asked for a cruise as their wedding gift AND they also wanted us to join them. I found out the dates that worked for them (he is an accountant, so no month end or year end) and they chose the cruise and the itinerary, actually my DIL was really adorable and got right into the whole process. Many emails between Mom and DIL before I booked it and then all the way to and during the cruise itself.

I called RCI and gave them the info for us and also the kids. The cruise for DH and I was in our names which of course RCI already had, and the cruise for the kids was in both of their names. I put both cruises on my credit card no problem, final payment went to my credit card for both as well, absolutely no problem. We had to make sure that the names provided matched their passports and DIL had to get her new name on her passport after the fact. It wasn't a problem with RCI, they would change the name at any point in time, they confirmed, however, it was crucial for the flight which we also took care of that the names were exact. You do not need to use a TA, you can book directly with RCI. The kids will not have your status, we could have put DIL in a cabin with me and DS with DH but decided it was just too complicated. This was their first cruise and they loved it that we were taken from the line and moved right into the cruise terminal and within minutes we were checking in. Everyone was incredible with us on the ship acknowledging that this was their honeymoon cruise. We asked permission to bring them to the Diamond event and the Diamond Breakfast and it was granted. The kids had the cruise of a lifetime and mom and dad were fortunate enough to participate. It is a trip we will never ever forget and hope to do with our remaining 2 children for their wedding gifts if they wish that is for mom and dad to accompany them.

I gave DIL the reservation number which allowed her to book any excursions she wished, make any purchases before, or just look at the reservation whenever she wanted to. We took care of wine and wrestled our monster son but finally wound up paying for some of their excursions. Some days we went with them at port, other days we sent them off on their own. We had dinners together but made it clear, they did not have to do anything with us, this was THEIR trip and it just happened that mom and dad were there. The only time DS got really annoyed was when we suggested that they should be the newlywed couple for the Love and Marriage Game.....I didn't have my water wings with me so I stopped suggesting:eek:

DS and DIL went on their second cruise in January this year and plan on many more. They loved the whole experience.

It is very good of you to do this as their gift. They will never ever forget it and in the end it is so simple to take care of.

Dee

Archived