Complimentary wines

Here is a list of the complimentary wines available on a recent Seabourn Odyssey cruise.[ATTACH]Seabourn Wine.jpg[/ATTACH]

Thanks for this English Tim. I might be alone in this but I can't read the attachment when I click on it. Is there any chance you could save with a bigger file size please? Thanks

Thanks for this English Tim. I might be alone in this but I can't read the attachment when I click on it. Is there any chance you could save with a bigger file size please? Thanks

I'll try, but it worked on FB, so I assume it might be an issue with CC.

Sorry, I'm struggling to make this work!

872844835_SeabournWine.jpg.776e2e5e730a76bf3d0eeb34783dc5da.jpg

Edited by English Tim

We find most of the included wines quite reasonable and can usually find a wine to suit. We also get the Gold Package so that on some evenings we can treat ourselves to something special. We find it good value as we go on for the longer cruises.

I'll try, but it worked on FB, so I assume it might be an issue with CC.

Sorry, I'm struggling to make this work!

Hi Tim,

Thank you for trying but it is still small. Don't worry, as you say probably some issue with different software coding.

I hope you and your wife had a lovely cruise.

Cheers, Julie

A few years ago I would have agreed that the house wines had gone down a bit -- not so in the past couple of years. The rose offered is usually too sweet for us so when we board we seek out the Bar manager and ask if at the first port might they buy some drier rose. In the Med they have always been willing to do this. Lucky for us this time the first port of call was Marseille -- they picked up a nice rose from Les Baux -- just happened to be from the same Chateau I visited that day on a private tour where I also purchased some rose to bring on board. Great minds think alike!. Later in the cruise as they were cleaning out the wine bins to get ready to turn the ship over to Windstar they found a couple of bottles of Domaine Ott. I did think the house Reds were very drinkable -- especially the rioja and pinotage. One of the things I appreciate about what they are trying to do wine wise, at least again in the Med, is pick up some local wines in many ports to feature as the wine of the night. And we were with a friend who only drank Santa Maragita -- as they started running a bit low they put aside a bottle for her. And we also usually buy a few bottles though not necessarily the wine package as two of our favorites -- the Tattinger Comtes de Champagne and the Ornellaia are not on that list and prices while not cheap are closer to retail than the usual restaurant markup so in a sense a " bargain."

We found that the complimentary selections were ok/ good for a two week cruise. By the third week we were tired of the repetition. I had assumed that once the ship got to Europe that they would bring on all new wines, that wasn't the case. We began buying our own reds in ports to supplement.

I took pics of most of the wines in my Vivino app.

The best red I had on the ship was a French red blend / Shraz

Sas du Plo de Maorou

The best white. Gavi.

Most of the wines priced 10-20$ per bottle in the US

The complimentary wines do not change much, and are not brilliant, but most of us can find a few which are OK. Luckily, not everyone likes the same ones - the one most often offered and accepted on our most recent cruise was Pinot Grigio which we do not like at all, but it was always possible to choose something different - at lunchtime we enjoy a NZ sauv. blanc such as Oyster Bay or Villa Maria, and in for dinner we liked the Villa Maria pinot noir, but again others had different preferences. It does get a bit monotonous after two weeks, when it might be time to spend on some non-included bottles.

As has often been said, these are not at all 'fine wines', just ones which might sell for about £6 to £8 in the UK at present. Some of the spirit choices are, however, definitely more top-drawer.

A few years ago I would have agreed that the house wines had gone down a bit -- not so in the past couple of years. The rose offered is usually too sweet for us so when we board we seek out the Bar manager and ask if at the first port might they buy some drier rose. In the Med they have always been willing to do this. Lucky for us this time the first port of call was Marseille -- they picked up a nice rose from Les Baux -- just happened to be from the same Chateau I visited that day on a private tour where I also purchased some rose to bring on board. Great minds think alike!. Later in the cruise as they were cleaning out the wine bins to get ready to turn the ship over to Windstar they found a couple of bottles of Domaine Ott. I did think the house Reds were very drinkable -- especially the rioja and pinotage. One of the things I appreciate about what they are trying to do wine wise, at least again in the Med, is pick up some local wines in many ports to feature as the wine of the night. And we were with a friend who only drank Santa Maragita -- as they started running a bit low they put aside a bottle for her. And we also usually buy a few bottles though not necessarily the wine package as two of our favorites -- the Tattinger Comtes de Champagne and the Ornellaia are not on that list and prices while not cheap are closer to retail than the usual restaurant markup so in a sense a " bargain."

Thank you for mentioning this. We also prefer a nice dry French Rose in the summer, so I am particularly interested in what the Rose options are. Agree that the "too sweet" Rose wines are awful. Does anyone know what is the current Rose being offered? Also, is any way to make a special request in advance of embarkation so that the wine is already stocked for arrival?

Many thanks

What is the gold package?

Are there many French wines on the non-complimentary list? Sancerre is my favorite white and Nuits St. Georges my preferred red.

The gold package gives you six bottles of premium wine from a list, for about $500.

One is better off stopping by a good wine store and choosing from a wider selection at much better prices. Plus it's more fun to buy locally!

No Sancerre onboard unfortunately, at least during my sailing.

The Gold Package is US$450 though it may be reduced if you apply the discount you can acquire with loyalty status for more cruises.

While I agree on some cruises it is fun to get local wines and did so when in South Africa...........not so easy when lots of sea days and cruising around Madagascar, Mauritius, Maldives and Myanmar.

As to rose, the two usually on board are JP Chenet and B&G. Neither are dry enough for me.You can only make a request for your in room bar -- and that will likely be one of the two above if you request rose. Better to have a conversation with the Bar Manager and ask if there is any possibility of picking up something different at an early port. And as I noted , and Julie reinforced, this really works best in Europe -- not so much in SE Asia or Antarctica.

As to Sancerre , which we like, they have had one on offer as part of the house wine selections on our past three cruises. And there is a Sancerre on the premium wine list -- don't recall as to whether one in the Gold or Silver package offerings.

As to rose, the two usually on board are JP Chenet and B&G. Neither are dry enough for me.You can only make a request for your in room bar -- and that will likely be one of the two above if you request rose. Better to have a conversation with the Bar Manager and ask if there is any possibility of picking up something different at an early port. And as I noted , and Julie reinforced, this really works best in Europe -- not so much in SE Asia or Antarctica.

As to Sancerre , which we like, they have had one on offer as part of the house wine selections on our past three cruises. And there is a Sancerre on the premium wine list -- don't recall as to whether one in the Gold or Silver package offerings.

Not in Antarctica?! Well, that's a fine how-do-ye-do. Good news on the Sancerre, I'm fine with Muscadet as well.

The Chenet is fine on a very hot day with ice in it.

October kat

You could be the first to establish a winery in Antarctica -- haul in grapes from Chile or Argentina and make a nice ice wine .

Roxbury,

To each his own. Will gladly give you my portion of the Chenet. If I have to chill a wine to the degree I can't taste it I would rather take a pass and save the calories.