Thomas Keller news

hoosier74

I do not believe that Seabourn give priority, surely that would go against their ethos.

However, one thing that is not avoidable is the fact that some guests take extended voyages and therefore are known more to the crew and hence may get some kind of priority via that way.

But as I said......the other dining choices are excellent, so whats to worry about

Oh I do hope Seabourn does not go to either an up charge dining option or a preferential reservation system. What I have always appreciated most about Seabourn is the no worries all inclusive -- pay one and done policy -- and what I call the Democracy of Seabourn -- everyone irrespective of suite location -- is treated the same.

Our experience in booking R2 has simply been to go talk to the manager when it's open vs trying to book via the phone. We have always found her to be very helpful and had no problem getting in with a little planning on both the Quest and the Odyssey.

Our experience in booking R2 has simply been to go talk to the manager when it's open vs trying to book via the phone. We have always found her to be very helpful and had no problem getting in with a little planning on both the Quest and the Odyssey.

Yes, I think I will try this way next time as both occasions before I used the telephone.

Exactly,I go seek out who is in charge of table bookings and seating and then I choose which menus that I like and ask to have a reservation for those

evenings.

Never had a problem and often I have had a telephone call to be offered a table for another menu on the day.

Edited by Mr Luxury

However, one thing that is not avoidable is the fact that some guests take extended voyages and therefore are known more to the crew and hence may get some kind of priority via that way.

That would be an accurate observation.

Somewhat amusing to me would be the many posts in previous R2 threads expressing hopes/wishes for future of the space. I do not think anyone came close to what SB is attempting. Given the kitchen wars between HAL and SB, I cannot believe they've come up with this scheme. Brilliant!

Want to get into R2? Go see one of the concierges as soon as you board, preferably before lunch.

They won't take reservations during the prior cruise, so those already on board won't have an advantage ...unless they see the concierge in the AM..., which I have :)

That would be an accurate observation.

Somewhat amusing to me would be the many posts in previous R2 threads expressing hopes/wishes for future of the space. I do not think anyone came close to what SB is attempting. Given the kitchen wars between HAL and SB, I cannot believe they've come up with this scheme. Brilliant!

Oceania with Jacques springs immediately to mind.

Odd about the reservations upthread. At least on the smaller ships they were limiting guests to one visit per cruise. After that if you wanted to get in you were put on the wait list.

I learned last year on Quest that that "once a cruise" policy did not extend to,the larger ships which seat 44 in R2. Maybe R2 wants a full house all the time and so they permit people to book themselves on multiple nights- even though this is hardly fair to those (like me at the time) who remember a different small ships' policy. That was that you could only book for the same day or the next day.

Anyway, there is a wait-list for the disappointed. But I don't like the "winner takes all" policy which in essence rewards some people. And it's not great for R2 either because they have to ring around same day to get confirmations of going and then working the waitlist if people who book change their minds.

Happy sailing!

Oceania with Jacques springs immediately to mind.

Jacques is slightly better than awful...Jacques Pepin has a pair of restaurants in NY that aren't exactly critically acclaimed or a tough reservation.

Thomas Keller is French Laundry, three Michelin stars...of course Bouchon and Ad Hoc as well....

No comparison ...

Jacques is slightly better than awful...Jacques Pepin has a pair of restaurants in NY that aren't exactly critically acclaimed or a tough reservation.

Thomas Keller is French Laundry, three Michelin stars...of course Bouchon and Ad Hoc as well....

No comparison ...

I'll have to disagree. I found Jacques on Oceania to be beyond awful.

I was comparing a famous chef with an excellent CV (you don't cook for several heads of state in France and then get offered the same job in the US as a "bad" chef) to another famous chef with an excellent CV. Both were hired to oversee the food for a line. This isn't a first. Looking back, even before Oceania grabbed Jacques Seabourn had who was it, Charlie Palmer?

At that end of the day it will be very interesting to see how Keller deals with Seabourns food constraints. I hope he can work around them or change some of them. I'm looking forward to see what he comes up with.

Edited by Emperor Norton