Does Seabourn randomly take cabins offline?

rachelfran

I've been keeping track of availability on the cruise I've booked and today find that all balcony suites have been taken offline ... I've recently checked and found availability remaining in all categories but today I see only A, A1, PS & PH. Seems odd. Just wonder if anyone knows why they would do this?

Thanks,

July 18.. I booked an OB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a popular month to cruise and not long to go now so suites could have sold fast or maybe you will be sailing with a large incentive group that will take over the ship and annoy the hell out of you.

How many rooms do you think went away?

I'd say at least 25 - maybe more.... While cat V1 & V2 were only showing a max of 3 cabins available and V3 & 4 has probably 12 between them ... there was at least 10 probably more in V5 & 6.

Rachel

I have seen this before, where a particular departure was offering OB's. One day there was lots of availability across V1 to V6, and then the next day the ship was fully booked. I just assumed that so many people had booked OB's that Seabourn stopped taking bookings and was holding those previously available cabins for allocation to those that had booked OB's.

I think a clue may be that you are now under 90 days until the commencement of your cruise. There are various methods that cruise lines use to fill out the ships. They may have had a special sale to a number of select travel agents. This is normally done on a geographic basis so as to not affect general pricing. Often they will pick a certain city or two and offer special deals for their agents only in those cities.

Another explanation maybe the special deals that are available for cruise line employees, friends & family which can also include those who work closely with the cruise line such as chandlers, fuel suppliers, port agents etc. They are all normally sold on a standby basis at a very substantial discount. You have to put your name down in advance and then you wait until your number hopefully comes up. For a date in July there would probably be a long list of employee standby's.

Imagine the cruise has 25 people who booked OBs in the veranda category and there are 26 unbooked suites spread around between V1 and V6. The cruise would show availability in all veranda categories because, should someone wish to choose a specific category and pay the fare, they can, suites from V1 to V6 are available.

Now suppose someone does that, and picks a .. V4, doesn't matter, can be anything. Now the cruise has 25 veranda category suites and 25 OB bookings which must be honoured, which means they now must allocate the suites to the OBs and so they have no availability in veranda at all.

So one person booking one suite can take a cruise from showing availability in an entire category of suites to fully booked.

It must depend on the cruise. Mine leaves 10 days before the OPs in July and still shows a large number of V suites available. I have also booked a OB and have done the same thing as the OP to check how many Vs were still available. There is no way to tell how many OBs they have sold (if some knows please let us know), so I have no idea if the cruise is booking up or not. But with the large number of available suites across all categories, my only guess is that I booked an unpopular/slow selling cruise. I'd be thrilled if that is the case....but I have my doubts. Either way, I will embark and enjoy it fully! Until of course the "large incentive group" comes along at the last minute to make me miserable!

It must depend on the cruise. Mine leaves 10 days before the OPs in July and still shows a large number of V suites available. I have also booked a OB and have done the same thing as the OP to check how many Vs were still available. There is no way to tell how many OBs they have sold (if some knows please let us know), so I have no idea if the cruise is booking up or not. But with the large number of available suites across all categories, my only guess is that I booked an unpopular/slow selling cruise. I'd be thrilled if that is the case....but I have my doubts. Either way, I will embark and enjoy it fully! Until of course the "large incentive group" comes along at the last minute to make me miserable!

Nope - no way to tell how many OBs are sitting there waiting for room allocations, even TAs can only tell you what suite numbers are open for booking (well that's all ours has ever been able to do) and you could be one suite booking away from having only enough left to fill the OBs and thus a full category, or be travelling on a half-empty ship.

As much as we enjoy the 1/2 empty cruises, I'd take a ship full of 'real' passengers to Mr Luxury's 'band of travel agents' scenario. We were on a cruise with such a group once and .. it's not something I'd like to repeat.

I've noticed that they juggle inventory around a lot in the 3 or 4 months prior to sail date.

Likely for the various reasons mentioned above by prior posters.

I've been on two cruises that suddenly switched to completely sold out approx 14 days prior to departure. Stayed that way a couple of days then a lot of availability came back.

Could somebody walk me through what I have to click? I go to a specific cruise, click on "cruise details and availability" , and then on suite fares. There I see the categories available and the fares , but my question is from there how do I see which specific cabins are available? Thanks

Could somebody walk me through what I have to click? I go to a specific cruise, click on "cruise details and availability" , and then on suite fares. There I see the categories available and the fares , but my question is from there how do I see which specific cabins are available? Thanks

Click on "Continue".

It will take you to the "Select your cruise options" page.

Click on "Continue" again without enetering any personal info.

In the next page you will be able to select different suite categories to see availability.

Then just exit.