Thomas Keller news

hoosier74

Sounds like Restaurant 2 is getting re-branded:

In addition, Seabourn will partner with Keller to introduce a new signature restaurant that will be revealed early next spring on Seabourn Quest ...

What great news !

I am certain that there will be 'exact specifications'. I have Keller's cookbook and it takes me about a day to make one recipe! I love the idea of another restaurant, hopefully larger than R2 is/was. I can't imagine that it won't be by reservation but one can always hope.

Hopefully the new restaurant will not be by reservation only.

I think there is little doubt that the new restaurant will be by reservation in the same way R2 is now. We have turned up on spec and got a table but that wasn't expected, just a happy chance.

It's fair to say a re-branded R2 will be well frequented. As it is the current R2 probably doesn't dazzle. Many regulars might not bother with a meal there. This is as more a compliment to the main dining options though as a slur on R2. We see it as a change of scenery rather than a culinary treat.

I hope SB don't see it as the thin end of the wedge into revenue stream dining options in the same way Royal Caribbean are hell bent on introducing. Many guests there now pay as much as they would on land for their meals, more than they would for their drinks. They even have A la carte pricing (as opposed to a flat cover charge) for venues like Jamie Oliver's Italian.

Good news anyway.

Henry :)

I have meet Chef Keller and dined at his restaurants. Something doesn't sound right; Mr. Keller absolutely refuses to use frozen food (proteins). And every thing on all Seabourn ships is frozen. It was required last year my the Seattle home office to have everything on the ship frozen for safety reasons....

I think there is little doubt that the new restaurant will be by reservation in the same way R2 is now. We have turned up on spec and got a table but that wasn't expected, just a happy chance.

It's fair to say a re-branded R2 will be well frequented. As it is the current R2 probably doesn't dazzle. Many regulars might not bother with a meal there. This is as more a compliment to the main dining options though as a slur on R2. We see it as a change of scenery rather than a culinary treat.

I hope SB don't see it as the thin end of the wedge into revenue stream dining options in the same way Royal Caribbean are hell bent on introducing. Many guests there now pay as much as they would on land for their meals, more than they would for their drinks. They even have A la carte pricing (as opposed to a flat cover charge) for venues like Jamie Oliver's Italian.

Good news anyway.

Henry,

I can see why RC will charge for everything,drinks,food etc because the price of the cruise is small in comparison with the luxury lines, the problem arises when you get all inclusive luxury lines like Crystal and Silversea who charge extra for some dining venues.Let us hope that Seabourn remain smart and ahead of the game by remaining exactly "all inclusive"

Well while I also love his food/dining experience, I suspect that as a consultant he will need to deal with the realities of SB and ship....much as the chefs who consult w. airlines do. Just the same, I am delighted that he will be having in- put. I was never a fan of R2, format or food, so really look forward to this...but I do not expect it to be Per Se.

No, it won't be Per Se, much as I would love that, but it does lead to wild speculation....Bouchon bakery in Seabourn Square? Macaroons? Can't get a reservation at The French Laundry? Book a Seabourn cruise! If it is any kind of success at all, the economics of Seabourn just became much more reasonable.

No, it won't be Per Se, much as I would love that, but it does lead to wild speculation....Bouchon bakery in Seabourn Square? Macaroons? Can't get a reservation at The French Laundry? Book a Seabourn cruise! If it is any kind of success at all, the economics of Seabourn just became much more reasonable.

Exactly,and it won't be Per Se prices.

What value Seabourn is.

Hard to imagine that the restaurants onboard Seabourn will match the fanatic approach to detail one experiences at French Laundry, but even his influence on the cuisine will be welcome. He is an extraordinary chef with a philosophy that values quality and passion. I just hope the restaurant on the Quest will be open when we cruise in late May 2016.

We are cruising next April 30th on the Quest. What great news for the foodies among us. I have high hope that the restaurant will be open by then, and that it will live up to our expectations and his tremendous skill. Do you think they might change policy so we are able to make reservations on-line prior to boarding? One per week?..Wouldn't that be nice.

We are cruising next April 30th on the Quest. What great news for the foodies among us. I have high hope that the restaurant will be open by then, and that it will live up to our expectations and his tremendous skill. Do you think they might change policy so we are able to make reservations on-line prior to boarding? One per week?..Wouldn't that be nice.

Let's hope not as the Crystal cruises dining system does not appeal to me.

Actually we are cruising April 30, not late May as I had originally posted. Hope Thomas can work his magic by then.

Not the whole system…….just for the one new TK specialty restaurant, as I said. I am by no means suggesting that you would have to choose a specific dining time for each night of the cruise a la Crystal. That is an unreasonable plan to us; we like the option of dining wherever and whenever we want. What I am saying is that I think it might be nice to be able to make one reservation per week or even per sailing at the new restaurant beforehand. You select shore excursions (or not) on-line beforehand. Why not one dinner reservation? It's bound to be difficult to get a reservation there once on board. We have had difficulty getting a table at R2 on occasion.

I can see why allowing pre-cruise bookings for R2 etc does not appeal to Seabourn. There is already a high cancellation rate once people work out their excursions, formal night, groups etc. and on every occasion we have been it has been about half full, if that. Pre-booking will just add to this. They will have no trouble filling a rebranded restaurant so pre-bookings don't seem likely.

Great news,

I remember Thomas Keller cooking my birthday dinner at The French Laundry in Yountville three years ago.

That certainly beats my 2 main courses for £9.95 Harvester birthday treat. Does Mr Keller offer a free salad cart as per Harvester?

Joking aside you are quite right about the value for money. Ok, a drop of man maths thrown in every now and again but even so....

Not the whole system…….just for the one new TK specialty restaurant, as I said. I am by no means suggesting that you would have to choose a specific dining time for each night of the cruise a la Crystal. That is an unreasonable plan to us; we like the option of dining wherever and whenever we want. What I am saying is that I think it might be nice to be able to make one reservation per week or even per sailing at the new restaurant beforehand. You select shore excursions (or not) on-line beforehand. Why not one dinner reservation? It's bound to be difficult to get a reservation there once on board. We have had difficulty getting a table at R2 on occasion.

We don't like to pre-plan our dining any more than we pre-plan our days on Seabourn. We like to look at what is available day by day and decide then what we want to eat in the evening. That is why I don't like a reservation system.

That said, the R2 reservation system didn't bother us. We never found its pretentious 'tasting menu' or French brothel style decor appealing.

Great news,

I remember Thomas Keller cooking my birthday dinner at The French Laundry in Yountville three years ago.

Let's hope that it does not turn out the same way as the Charlie Palmer association did.

I've only had him cook breakfast for me in Vegas, but I agree w/ the "CP" comment.

Great news,

Let's hope that it does not turn out the same way as the Charlie Palmer association did.

Since one of the things Keller is known for is using super fresh ingredients Im curious to see what he ends up putting on the menu.