Dry cleaning on Princess?

stinesheri

I was just reading another thread and a point was raised that Princess no longer offers 'dry cleaning', but rather 'cleaning' is listed on the laundry menu.

We are taking a 12 day Med. on the Ruby next summer, with a pre and post cruise stay and I intended on using both the laundry and dry cleaning services, to cut down on at least some of my baggage.

Can anyone confirm/deny that there is no longer any drycleaning, or that the 'cleaning' is equivalent to dry cleaning. Most of my clothes won't stand up to high heat laundering, so dry cleaning is a must. If they no longer offer a 'dry cleaning' alternative, looks like I will have to bring one more suitcase...

thanks!

I was just reading another thread and a point was raised that Princess no longer offers 'dry cleaning', but rather 'cleaning' is listed on the laundry menu.

We are taking a 12 day Med. on the Ruby next summer, with a pre and post cruise stay and I intended on using both the laundry and dry cleaning services, to cut down on at least some of my baggage.

Can anyone confirm/deny that there is no longer any drycleaning, or that the 'cleaning' is equivalent to dry cleaning. Most of my clothes won't stand up to high heat laundering, so dry cleaning is a must. If they no longer offer a 'dry cleaning' alternative, looks like I will have to bring one more suitcase...

thanks!

You are correct Princess has not had dry cleaning in quite some time.

My opinion is that their laundering service is pretty hard on clothes.

If we have something delicate I will not send it out.

They do have a dry cleaning substitute on the Ruby. How do you think they clean all the uniforms & theatrical costumes? They certainly don't use a regular washing machine & hot water.

Yes you have the option to have your clothes laundered thriough the ships laundry, thats it.

They do have a dry cleaning substitute on the Ruby. How do you think they clean all the uniforms & theatrical costumes? They certainly don't use a regular washing machine & hot water.

This is what has me confused on this question. Some people say that they offer an environmentally friendly dry cleaning, which makes sense, since certainly the ship has to have the ability to clean uniforms and costumes. Others say there is no dry cleaning or its substitute. No one can say how to separate and list clothes to be cleaned one way vs. the other way. And some people claim they sent dry clean only clothes out and were happy with the way they came back.

I really wish I could understand this before we cruise on the Ruby next month. We'll be gone for 4 weeks, and there's a good chance that we'll have an item of dry clean only clothing that will need to be cleaned.

Others say there is no dry cleaning or its substitute. No one can say how to separate and list clothes to be cleaned one way vs. the other way.

a) The laundry list has two columns. One is labled "laundry" and the other is headed "cleaning". The "cleaning" option is what has replaced "dry cleaning."

b) Some items are listed in each column (example: blouses). Some are only in one column (examples: socks in the laundry column, suits in the cleaning column).

c) If you want, you could put the cleaning items in one bag and the laundry items in another along with the list for each in its bag.

We were on Emerald last March. They do not have dry cleaning. My sister sent two silk blouses for "cleaning" and they were ruined. To Princess' credit, she was reimbursed a percentage of the cost of the blouses. Our cabin steward later told us that Princess does not do dry cleaning. I don't know why they confuse things with "cleaning" and "laundry" on the list - if they don't do dry cleaning, I don't know what 'cleaning' means.

Princess - along with most other major cruiselines - has removed dry cleaning machines from their ships. The chemical used for the dry cleaning process is highly carcinogenic, and highly poisonous to marine life.

The new process is a "wet dry cleaning" that works reasonably well on sturdier items, but ruins many more delicate ones.

I just received one of those "welcome" emails from Princess regarding one of our upcoming Ruby cruises. This email is personalized with our cabin number, CC status, dining choice, etc., but it also clearly states that laundry AND dry cleaning will be available on our cruise. Obviously, this is not correct. This is just another of the little inconsistencies (a la lunch will be available in the dining room on embarkation day) that prove very irritating when considered in total.

Of course it's not a cruise ruiner, but it is another example of Princess touting something in print that is unavailable once on their ships.

I just received one of those "welcome" emails from Princess regarding one of our upcoming Ruby cruises. This email is personalized with our cabin number, CC status, dining choice, etc., but it also clearly states that laundry AND dry cleaning will be available on our cruise. Obviously, this is not correct. This is just another of the little inconsistencies (a la lunch will be available in the dining room on embarkation day) that prove very irritating when considered in total.

Of course it's not a cruise ruiner, but it is another example of Princess touting something in print that is unavailable once on their ships.

As BruceMuzz said, there is a "wet dry cleaning" service available which replaces the old dry cleaning system & it does do a decent job. I questioned the head waiter, Jan, about the dining room service on embarkation day to which he replied that the dining room would be open to all b2b cruisers and available to all others unless the DR gets to crowded, at which point they close the doors & direct people to the Horizon. They try to accommodate as many people as humanly possible with the limited personal since some waiters do get some personal time off.

Having worked in a "dry cleaners" for many years may I say that the dry cleaning process was never "dry". Liquid chemicals are used.

On Crown recently the Patter stated that no dry cleaning was available but speciality cleaning was. I didn`t try it but I would guess that it uses what is called "green earth", a different ingredient for cleaning clothes.

It is not as successful with some stains however.

And on the Princess web site under Elite benefits:

"Complimentary Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services"

Thanks folks -

Still no definate answer, so I guess I will just have to wait until I board (and pack extra, just in case) but Caribill's answer seems to imply that most of my 'dry clean' items (pants, and some tops) can be 'cleaned'. I am not taking many delicate items, but rather just items I don't want to be shrunk in hot water. So long as the 'cleaning' alternative is not super hot, nor requires a traditional laundry dry cycle, they should be ok. I will of course, ask first!

I think my dry cleaner uses the green clean, and the clothing comes out fine, so if that is what they use, it shouldn't be a problem.

The only process I trust any longer on any Princess ship is the "dry cleaning" process. On the last Ruby cruise they shrunk (once again) & removed the sequins from my wife's shirt. It's wasn't the first time & she sort of expected it to happen.

They really have no control of the heat in their super hot clothes dryers and we would never trust them to wash anything of good value.

We used their "cleaning service" on our last cruise several months ago and we were very happy with the services. The clothes did not shrink or come back ruined. We also used their laundry service with the same results. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

edna

My experience on the Ruby was I sent two pairs of silk pants out for cleaning and they returned perfectly done. Whatever system they use works very well in my experience. The price was very reasonable too.

Hi Caroline.....Hope all is well.....:):):)

Bob

Archived