Just back - please write a review

Host Hattie

We have two cruises booked on Queen Elizabeth,these will be our fourth and fifth on her,can't be all bad then.I will try to do some sort of report.It will of course be relevant to Britannia class.Sorry that was cheap.

Rodger.

Edited by foster269

Is there a charge for using the royal spa? I don't want treatments just to use the pool

You can buy a day pass, prices vary by ship but details are on the Ask Cunard page (there is a link in the sticky).

Apologies but I'm not very good at posting links from my phone.

Thank you for guiding me to that Host Hattie! I have found lots of useful info for my upcoming cruise on QV. Why do you think they charge to use the spa? Does any other line?

I'm glad you found it useful.

I would think they charge to restrict numbers, it's fairly standard on ships I think.

I'll be sure to post a review, but we just returned from the 175 Anniversary Cruise (July 2nd through July 14th - Southampton, Liverpool, Halifax, Boston, New York). It was our first time on the Queen Mary 2. My husband and I are in our mid-thirties. We thought everything was absolutely wonderful! The ship is beautiful, the staff were so hard-working and consummate professionals, and they did pull out all the stops to celebrate on the ship and in the ports. Obviously, a transatlantic liner housing 2500 passengers and 1400 crew will get some wear and tear crossing the Atlantic Ocean each week, but we saw nothing obviously out of place. To say that the carpets are "threadbare" and that things are looking terrible is ridiculous. BTW the food in the King's Court was great and nicely presented for a buffet. Each day they had a special display in addition to the main courses and salad bar: Tonkatsu, Cream Puffs, Sushi, Chocolate Desserts. It was never overly crowded or closed. I'm not sure where some of the more negative posters are used to eating, but maybe they should order room service for all of their meals and leave the delicious offerings of the wonderful chefs on the QM2 to the rest of us!

Oh no...our first Cunard/QM2 is in August and I'm concerned. From what I've been reading, the ship seems neglected and in need of general maintenance. Too bad...

Ignore the bad reviews we had our first trip earlier this year it was amazing.

I have no idea why some people write the rubbish they do. You will have a fabulous time.

I'll be sure to post a review, but we just returned from the 175 Anniversary Cruise (July 2nd through July 14th - Southampton, Liverpool, Halifax, Boston, New York). It was our first time on the Queen Mary 2. My husband and I are in our mid-thirties. We thought everything was absolutely wonderful! The ship is beautiful, the staff were so hard-working and consummate professionals, and they did pull out all the stops to celebrate on the ship and in the ports. Obviously, a transatlantic liner housing 2500 passengers and 1400 crew will get some wear and tear crossing the Atlantic Ocean each week, but we saw nothing obviously out of place.

Thanks for reporting back, I look forward to reading your review.

It sounds as if it was an amazing trip.

• 2 weeks later...
... about our 3 day mini-cruise on QE.

It could have been a chance for Cunard to find new returning customers. Unfortunately they missed this opportunity.

Basically it was the most expensive afternoon tea I've ever had.

Sorry to hear this, would you please clarify or expand on your comment. Thanks :D

... about our 3 day mini-cruise on QE.

It could have been a chance for Cunard to find new returning customers. Unfortunately they missed this opportunity.

Basically it was the most expensive afternoon tea I've ever had.

Well, I find it hard to believe that any of the Cunard ships will not have new returning customers ..... :rolleyes:

Well, I find it hard to believe that any of the Cunard ships will not have new returning customers ..... :rolleyes:

I wasn't talking about "any" ship but the specific ship on a specific cruise! I have been talking to a number of first-time passengers and all said that it wasn't worth the money. Also why don't you read another review (other than mine) about that specific cruise?

If I had been in charge of the organisation of that mini-cruise I would have made my ship shine for the three or four days because those who were first-time cruisers on a short voyage will come back - IF THEY REALLY LIKED what they have seen.

I wasn't talking about "any" ship but the specific ship on a specific cruise! I have been talking to a number of first-time passengers and all said that it wasn't worth the money. Also why don't you read another review (other than mine) about that specific cruise?

If I had been in charge of the organisation of that mini-cruise I would have made my ship shine for the three or four days because those who were first-time cruisers on a short voyage will come back - IF THEY REALLY LIKED what they have seen.

Sorry that you did not understand what I meant to say.

I know what your review is like and those of others as well, even without having read them.

Special offers always imply the risk of being disappointing - I never take them.

I was on the Kiel to Southampton from July11 until July14.

It's not that I don't like Cunard - I was on QM2 before, so I am myself a returning customer. But I just have the feeling that they could do better. It's sad because the ship itself is very nice.

The main problem onboard was the staff attitude and missing attention to detail. They seemed tired and bored (especially in Lido, in Housekeeping and at the bars, not so much in the Britannia). So either the crew managers are giving them a hard time or they are understaffed. And it comes to a point where the customer notices it. I could give you a number of examples.

Then the food: London has the most wonderful restaurants. On QE the Verandah food was totally boring, the service really really really bad.

The food in Lido was the worst I have ever had on a cruise ship. Have you seen the canned fruit or the very few fresh items they offer? Even the deep fried food they serve in the Golden Lion Pub was better.

Also the ship needs a spruce up on the outside. On Oceanias new ships for example they are working on the outside every day - and the ship looks like a gem in all areas. Do you want to see a few photos of our balcony handrails and outside painting on QE? It's a pars pro toto.

And to be honest I am not surprised that Cunard has gone advertising in low scale magazines and newspapers (e.g. HAPAG LLOYD - Europa 2) is never seen there. Again, it's really sad because I like all the Englishness about it, but all in all I would not recommend it to anyone when I look closely on value for money.

I'll be sure to post a review, but we just returned from the 175 Anniversary Cruise (July 2nd through July 14th - Southampton, Liverpool, Halifax, Boston, New York). It was our first time on the Queen Mary 2. My husband and I are in our mid-thirties. We thought everything was absolutely wonderful! The ship is beautiful, the staff were so hard-working and consummate professionals, and they did pull out all the stops to celebrate on the ship and in the ports. Obviously, a transatlantic liner housing 2500 passengers and 1400 crew will get some wear and tear crossing the Atlantic Ocean each week, but we saw nothing obviously out of place. To say that the carpets are "threadbare" and that things are looking terrible is ridiculous. BTW the food in the King's Court was great and nicely presented for a buffet. Each day they had a special display in addition to the main courses and salad bar: Tonkatsu, Cream Puffs, Sushi, Chocolate Desserts. It was never overly crowded or closed. I'm not sure where some of the more negative posters are used to eating, but maybe they should order room service for all of their meals and leave the delicious offerings of the wonderful chefs on the QM2 to the rest of us!

I could not agree more, we are just back from a 16 day transatlantic (July 14th to the 30th). I would have to look long and hard to find anything to complain about!

I could not agree more, we are just back from a 16 day transatlantic (July 14th to the 30th). I would have to look long and hard to find anything to complain about!

Our thoughts exactly. We had a wonderful time on the July 14 crossing and we are looking forward to our return voyage on August 11. When time permits, I'll post a longer review. For now, all I can say is that no one should be deterred by a handful often exaggerated complaints from sailing on QM2.

I was able to complete a free registration that entitled me to three FT articles per week. The QM2 crossing article was interesting but as soon as the author said his stateroom was on Deck 10 midships I knew that he had a good time. :)

Unfortunately it looks as if you have to pay to access the FT site :(

Hmmm, you didn't need to when I read it on 1st August.

I was able to complete a free registration that entitled me to three FT articles per week. The QM2 crossing article was interesting but as soon as the author said his stateroom was on Deck 10 midships I knew that he had a good time.

Yes, a guest of Cunard in a Princess Suite as I recall.