set taxi fare from brooklyn terminal to LGA

fizzy1

Thank you both for all that information. It's handy to know in case it's needed. You ran into a 'nice' agent, Hancogran!! I usually fly Air Canada as it has the most variety of flights. I sometimes fly West Jet.

Thanks again...:D

A quick check with Air Canada's Website shows that free standby is offered on the cheaper level fares for Canada - New York flights and some others within Canada. If that is not offered on a given route a "same-day airport change" is always an option - for a fee. Yes, it can be complicated.

Sometimes an offer of an earlier flight can back-fire. On one of our Toronto-Newark flights on Porter - to catch the QM2, of course - we were offered an earlier flight. We accepted and the plane broke down on the runway. We arrived in Newark two hours later than we would have on our originally-booked flight. Porter does not have US pre-clearance, so our arrival at the immigration hall in Newark coincided with lots of flights from Europe. Only 12 of the 50 wickets were staffed, so it was a very long wait in the queue even though, as Canadians who do not need to be finger-printed and photographed, we were ushered into the returning US citizens side of the hall. We have since gone on Air Canada and appreciated the benefit of pre-clearance.

She likely felt sorry for us... a couple of old fogies ! lol ;) Enjoy your cruise and good luck with the flights and taxis!

Thank you, hancogran. I'm sure to enjoy the cruise and will just roll with the punches for the taxis and hope for the best with the flights!! There's no rush either getting to, or coming from, the airports...which makes it nice. :D

A quick check with Air Canada's Website shows that free standby is offered on the cheaper level fares for Canada - New York flights and some others within Canada. If that is not offered on a given route a "same-day airport change" is always an option - for a fee. Yes, it can be complicated.

Sometimes an offer of an earlier flight can back-fire. On one of our Toronto-Newark flights on Porter - to catch the QM2, of course - we were offered an earlier flight. We accepted and the plane broke down on the runway. We arrived in Newark two hours later than we would have on our originally-booked flight. Porter does not have US pre-clearance, so our arrival at the immigration hall in Newark coincided with lots of flights from Europe. Only 12 of the 50 wickets were staffed, so it was a very long wait in the queue even though, as Canadians who do not need to be finger-printed and photographed, we were ushered into the returning US citizens side of the hall. We have since gone on Air Canada and appreciated the benefit of pre-clearance.

I love Nexus......it's so much faster, when they're open......:D

I would have expected Cunard to have arranged transport options to/from, say, the 3 NYC main airports and also central Manhattan.

Evidently this was done in the past (and was pricey) but no longer (I may be wrong). So it's effectively either a taxi from the terminal or a pick-up by someone you know (not an option for many). Red Hook, Brooklyn is not the most seloubrious of areas; in fact the port authority website advises users not to take public transit to reach the terminal.

Given the extra baggage weight one must tote for a Cunard cruise (formal nights and dress codes), Cunard ought to be providing more transfer options than other cruise lines, not less.

Their webpage, https://ask.cunard.com/resources/carnivaluk/on-shore/CU_Shuttle_Information

states, "Manhatten Cruise Terminal - this berth does not require

a shuttle service. Brooklyn Cruise Terminal - A shuttle bus service will

operate from this berth".

Apparently, a single bus ride to and from Macey's, at $49 per person, was cancelled by Cunard a year or so ago (but I am not sure of this). It was only available to disembarking passengers (not those arriving) and had to be booked ahead and tickets shown. With this weak standard of service, it is not surprising it was chopped.

Cunard: please think this through again, especially at frequent ports like New York, Southampton and Hamburg.

Can do better!

Edited by Canuker

Just thought I'd let you know...I took a taxi from LGA to the Comfort Inn Brooklyn Cruise Terminal (about 5 blocks from the ship), and the taxi fare was $37. That was also driving through rush hour. So that's not too bad!

Also, I would recommend this hotel for a lot of reasons, BUT, it is not in an area with shopping, restaurants or easy public transportation...and it's pricey. The area isn't necessarily dangerous, but more a 'take care and be careful' type of area.

Looking forward to embarking QM2 tomorrow. :D

Thanks Lady sail 2.

Would the taxi accommodate 4 adults with one large suitcase each?

Hard to say, burrma.....some taxis are alot smaller than others. I see now that alot of the taxis at the ship are small vans....and not cars.

I did want to update the cost of a cab from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to LGA....the taxi driver told me it was a $51 set charge. Yet, it only cost $37 to go from LGA to a hotel a few blocks from the cruise port.

He said that there was a sign...I did see a sign for private cars charging $58 to the airport...but I didn't see a public taxi sign...oh well. At around 10:15 am, it took about 15 minutes to get to the airport. Not bad. All the traffic was heading the other way at that time in the morning.

Joyce :D

Hard to say, burrma.....some taxis are alot smaller than others. I see now that alot of the taxis at the ship are small vans....and not cars.

I did want to update the cost of a cab from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to LGA....the taxi driver told me it was a $51 set charge. Yet, it only cost $37 to go from LGA to a hotel a few blocks from the cruise port.

He said that there was a sign...I did see a sign for private cars charging $58 to the airport...but I didn't see a public taxi sign...oh well. At around 10:15 am, it took about 15 minutes to get to the airport. Not bad. All the traffic was heading the other way at that time in the morning.

Joyce :D

We found that there were two different type of taxis at the Brooklyn Cruise terminal... the ones that were charging the set amount and then if you walked a bit to the right of where all these "set amount" cars/taxis were, there were a line of metered taxis which is what we took to LGA. We took the taxi this past June so maybe things have changed in the past month or so but that was our experience.

• 1 month later...
We just did this when we disembarked the QM2 last month. We were going to LGA and we were one of the first ones off the ship since we did self assist. There were metered cabs lined up as well as those with a set price of $45. We hopped in a metered cab and it cost us $34 to LGA (plus tip). This was at 7:00 a.m. so the traffic was pretty heavy.

Is LGA the most convenient airport from the Cunard terminal?

Is LGA the most convenient airport from the Cunard terminal?

Yes; plus no tolls, but JFK isn't all that much greater distance/cost.

Also, NYC has "green" cabs that operate much like the traditional yellow cabs (except they can not pick up fares in Manhattan) and can take you into Manhattan or anywhere else in the city and to all airports.

• 2 weeks later...

Just took metered taxi at 8 a.m. last Sat.; took 25 minutes. During week I could see it being a bit longer. Cost was $38.50. plus tip

Could find no cabs that could take 6; were a few vans that could take 5 another group of my friends who took it for 4; said: there was no way they could fit 5 in ; with luggage. it was $55.

We had 6; only limo service could take all 6 ; there were many of them by taxi cab area; very dressed up but aggressive for people to take them) and they wanted $115. so opted to take 2 cabs with three each.

Hi there,

Could anyone recommend a pre-bookable airport transfer (LGA to Midtown) that would accomodate 3 people with a LOT of luggage? I talking 5 large cases plus at least 4 pieces of hand luggage.

I got a quote from our hotel for an SUV, 'meet and greet' service, but my jaw hot the floor at the cost!

I'm happy to pay a lot extra for excellent service, and it does need to be a 'meet and greet'.