QM 2 Transatlantic Crossing - Jul 14 - 1st Voyage - So Excited !

WalkAboutTheWorld

I just recently found this community. I am a 50ish single woman who has just booked her first cruise ever on the QM 2 in less than 2 weeks. I can not tell you how excited I am ! :)

I have been spending days upon days reading about the crossing, various blogs and such and am so looking forward to the experience. I have never been on a cruise before in my life. I am going to spend a week in London and Eurostar over to Paris for a week afterwards.

My life recently has been in a bit of a rut so I was determined to do something different - I believe that I have succeeded!

If anyone here will be on that voyage and would like to meet up please feel free to contact me.

Now I have to buy some gowns and figure out how to mail them back once I get to London.

Oh I forgot to mention - when I went to my Voyage Personalizer I found I had been upgraded from the DF deck 8 cabin I requested (obstructed balcony) to a BV Deck 4 (sheltered balcony) which apparently costs over $800 more - quite a nice surprise!

Edited by WalkAboutTheWorld

Wow! Quite ambitious for a first cruise! We are doing our first transatlantic after 26 cruises and we are equally excited. Enjoy.

I am an ambitious lady :) How exciting regarding your first crossing as well! When and where are you going?

Edited by WalkAboutTheWorld

I just recently found this community. I am a 50ish single woman who has just booked her first cruise ever on the QM 2 in less than 2 weeks. I can not tell you how excited I am ! :)

I have been spending days upon days reading about the crossing, various blogs and such and am so looking forward to the experience. I have never been on a cruise before in my life. I am going to spend a week in London and Eurostar over to Paris for a week afterwards.

My life recently has been in a bit of a rut so I was determined to do something different - I believe that I have succeeded!

If anyone here will be on that voyage and would like to meet up please feel free to contact me.

Now I have to buy some gowns and figure out how to mail them back once I get to London.

Oh I forgot to mention - when I went to my Voyage Personalizer I found I had been upgraded from the DF deck 8 cabin I requested (obstructed balcony) to a BV Deck 4 (sheltered balcony) which apparently costs over $800 more - quite a nice surprise!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to your first transatlantic crossing on Queen Mary 2! A wonderful adventure lies in store for you, one that in all likelihood you'll want to repeat again and again. We made our first crossing four years ago, and this summer we'll be making our seventh and eighth, one of which begins on July 14. We're almost as excited as we were the first time around.

There's a roll call for this voyage on the Cruise Critic roll calls page where you can introduce yourself to others making the same trip. We look forward to meeting you on board.

P.S. Congratulations on your upgrade!

Do not worry about being alone, they will put you on a large table in the restaurant and they also have coffe mornings for the single people to get to know each other, I do not think you will feel alone. Enjoy the Cruise.:D

You will have a splendid time. Although, I have cruised in the past last year I went by myself on a cruise to the Caribbean from New York. I live 20 mins. away from New York and I have to say It was great on my own. There is definitely something to be said for solo cruising. I am sure you will love it as for doing this for yourself...you go girl !! My new attitude is ( it is all about me ). Am I being selfish no...it's my turn now. Next year I intend going on the Queen Mary. I hope you tell us all about your experience. I am 65 and when I grow really old I want to sit back and have memories of the things I did rather than sit back and have regrets looking back at the things I wanted to do and never did. So you go on your trip and love and embrace every minute of it.

My husband and I are on this sailing and the return. We did the round trip transatlantic three years ago (in August) and had fantastic weather. I hope we are as lucky this cruise. Congrats not he upgrade, I should log in and see if we've been upgraded as well. This will be our sixth cruise on Cunard, we just love it. I am planning on a full cruise spa pass; the spa on the QM2 is run by Canyon Ranch and I just love it! I am sure that you will just love this experience.

Do not worry about being alone, they will put you on a large table in the restaurant and they also have coffe mornings for the single people to get to know each other, I do not think you will feel alone. Enjoy the Cruise.:D

I was thinking about that for a couple of weeks, thinking that , "Oh it won't be any fun with no one to share it" but just got to the point where I decided to take the trip just for me and there is SO much to do and explore there that I'm sure I'll feel just fine.

Maybe I'll meet a "CUnard host" that looks like Richard Geere and make a movie together - LOL !

I was thinking about that for a couple of weeks, thinking that , "Oh it won't be any fun with no one to share it" but just got to the point where I decided to take the trip just for me and there is SO much to do and explore there that I'm sure I'll feel just fine.

Maybe I'll meet a "CUnard host" that looks like Richard Geere and make a movie together - LOL !

You'll have more chance of meeting someone who looks like Michael Douglas I think. :eek::eek:

I took my first QM2 trip September of 2014 by myself. It was a retirement gift to myself. It was on my bucket list of things I wanted to do. My DH is not one for sea days and didn't want to go. I met another single female traveler through the roll call and we got together for meals. She was a QM2 frequent traveler and made sure that I was at her dinner table and when I first entered my cabin there was a note on my pillow from her welcoming me to the QM2.:) She and I still email each other. We are from different countries. I hope one day that we can coordinate so that we can share the ship again on a cruise. Each did our own thing most of the time, but it was nice to have someone on board. She most certainly made it a memorable trip for me.

I was a little worried about traveling alone as well, but will tell you that there is so much going on that I don't think you will really feel alone. I met many really nice people on board. Several that ended up at my lunch table remembered me and spoke to me in passing. Had one lady that was there with her husband that it seemed we were on the same schedule in regards to when we ate lunch and ended up at the same table several times. At the end of the trip I was standing in line at the restaurant for breakfast and they came around the corner. She came up to me and asked for a hug. She said she thought I was such a nice person and she so much enjoyed sharing lunch with me. Wow is all I can say. The people aboard to include the crew are very friendly. You will not be alone on your cruise. However, I will tell you I enjoyed being able to do what I wanted to when I wanted to and not have to consider anyone else, worry about a project at work, my family (grown by now) or housework. It was wonderful.

When I returned home I realized that although I had fulfilled this wish on my bucket list that it would not be my last TA on QM2. So I am saving my pennies and I plan next time to travel her NY to NY round trip.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and enjoy yourself.

Edited by oxfordgal

I took my first QM2 trip September of 2014 by myself. It was a retirement gift to myself. It was on my bucket list of things I wanted to do. My DH is not one for sea days and didn't want to go. I met another single female traveler through the roll call and we got together for meals. She was a QM2 frequent traveler and made sure that I was at her dinner table and when I first entered my cabin there was a note on my pillow from her welcoming me to the QM2.:) She and I still email each other. We are from different countries. I hope one day that we can coordinate so that we can share the ship again on a cruise. Each did our own thing most of the time, but it was nice to have someone on board. She most certainly made it a memorable trip for me.

I was a little worried about traveling alone as well, but will tell you that there is so much going on that I don't think you will really feel alone. I met many really nice people on board. Several that ended up at my lunch table remembered me and spoke to me in passing. Had one lady that was there with her husband that it seemed we were on the same schedule in regards to when we ate lunch and ended up at the same table several times. At the end of the trip I was standing in line at the restaurant for breakfast and they came around the corner. She came up to me and asked for a hug. She said she thought I was such a nice person and she so much enjoyed sharing lunch with me. Wow is all I can say. The people aboard to include the crew are very friendly. You will not be alone on your cruise. However, I will tell you I enjoyed being able to do what I wanted to when I wanted to and not have to consider anyone else, worry about a project at work, my family (grown by now) or housework. It was wonderful.

When I returned home I realized that although I had fulfilled this wish on my bucket list that it would not be my last TA on QM2. So I am saving my pennies and I plan next time to travel her NY to NY round trip.

Thank you oxfordgal.

A few months ago I started a thread about your first Cunard voyage. There were some wonderful stories. I should warn you WalkabouttheWorld that the QM2 has become very addictive for some of us:D

I was supposed to be on your crossing but had to cancel because of leg and hip problems. I will see the QM2 later in the year.

I have done almost all my trips solo and over the years have met some wonderful people who have become great friends and we have seen each other again on the ship. Not to mention the crew. They are fabulous!

Bon Voyage!

Edited by lannp

The round trip from New York sounds like a good idea. I have been watching the fares for next year. I am a female that travels alone the only hard part is the single supplement.

My husband and I will be sailing with you! We were able to book at the last minute and are really looking forward to the trip while our teen is in Europe with my parents!

So much to get ready in such a short time, the first order of business being getting new luggage and a better looking tux for my husband :rolleyes:

Hope to see you on board!

The round trip from New York sounds like a good idea. I have been watching the fares for next year. I am a female that travels alone the only hard part is the single supplement.

Yes, the supplement is bad, but there are other cruise lines that charge double minus the port taxes so I guess we should look at it more positively. Cunard charges an extra 75%. I am looking for one that is a little less expensive. I have seen some for 2016 that might work. Just have to hope for a sale of some sort.

So much to get ready in such a short time, the first order of business being getting new luggage and a better looking tux for my husband :rolleyes:

Hope to see you on board!

In my case I have to go out and buy a couple gowns and cocktail separates. I haven't worn anything like that in years! (ever since I became plus-sized... grrrrrr....:mad: ). So I'm going to do some shopping today and see if I can't make a silk purse out of this sow's ear.

So much to get ready in such a short time, the first order of business being getting new luggage and a better looking tux for my husband

DW just read this.

Says in her case she will keep the old tux but get better looking husband.

Cheers.

What I have started doing two months ago is print out all the Transatlantic crossing and put each page in a plastic sleeve cover then into a binder. I repeat this each month so that I can keep track on just when and how many crossings are reduced in price and then compare them. Sound boring but it is rather fun to do. I am a great planner by nature and everything for me has to be well planned from beginning to end. That's who I am. Sometimes ,I think about getting a cabin mate to reduce cost ..maybe one day.