Jackets and Dancing

frsimon

Jackets are relics of the Victorian age, along with chamberpots. I'm willing to play the dress code game until dancing starts, at which point the jacket comes off. I've never had the Fashion Police try to drag me out. (On formal nights, I do wear a vest which is somewhat dressy but allows freedom of movement.)

The late Alex Moore in "Ballroom Dancing" talking about men's dress for dancing, actually said that a true dance costume is hard to make, and described why regular jackets look like clown suits.

Edited by Dancer Bob

And who wears a jacket for dancing at a wedding reception after "the first dance"? Ditch the jacket and enjoy dancing in the grandest ballroom at sea. The fashion police can sit on the sidelines trying to chew their elbows.

And who wears a jacket for dancing at a wedding reception after "the first dance"? Ditch the jacket and enjoy dancing in the grandest ballroom at sea. The fashion police can sit on the sidelines trying to chew their elbows.

To each his own, but my experience has been that, barring hot weather combined with no air conditioning (an unlikely scenario on many Cunard itineraries) many men do keep their jackets on while dancing. It's not a matter of "fashion police" (a monitoring force which seems to exist primarily in the imaginations of people who resent dress codes), rather just the way things are in many environments.

If one is in even a modicum of condition leaving your jacket on whilst dancing should never be a problem. Of course if you are lugging around excess baggage (not talking about your partner) then the exercise could be problematic. And not every one is as handsome as the good captain in Sound of Music and he horrors of horrors wore gloves while dancing.

The dress code on Cunard is there for a reason. We enjoy dressing on a cruise. Very few men remove their jackets and go out of dress code during the dance.

Men start removing clothing so that they are more comfortable. Can women remove clothing (bra, girdle, nylon stockings, high heels) also to be more comfortable?

Seriously, I have been married to a gentleman for nearly 50 years. Not once in that time has he removed his suit jacket at a dance, in an upscale restaurant, at a wedding, etc., or on the dance floor at home or on a cruise. On a cruise we are dancing most of the night and neither of us remove our clothes.

He is so handsome in his tux.

o

I don't think I've ever seen a man dance for more than one song in a Jacket. I'd imagine it gets super hot. I doubt the Fashion Police would say anything either.

I'm curious how many cruises you have taken on a Cunard ship since this appears to be your first posting on the Cunard Line Forum. My experience has been that the number of men removing their Tuxedo jacket on formal nights has been quite small.

IMO, If a lady is wearing a long evening gown, it would be bad form to remove the jacket while dancing.

Bob

On the old QE2 (the one commissioned in 1969 and now still in Dubai?) it was de riguer to adhere to the evening's dress code while on the dance floor in the Queen's Room. If not, a lead Gentlemen Host would quietly and subtly request that the offender adhere to the dress code. But, I have seen several instances where men would doff their jackets, more with each passing year, including one man who came to dance wearing only a mesh t-shirt with his nipples baring forth, etc.

Now, on the QM2, QV, and QE, other than the Gentlemen Hosts, the non-jacket wearers outnumber the jacket wearers, including many who doff not only the jacket but also the tie or bow-tie.

Me, I would keep my jacket on until usually the last band session, and many dancers have left the QR. It does get warm doing the standard ballroom dances, like the Viennese waltz, tango, slow waltz, foxtrot, and for me, the rare quickstep. I usually bring a small hand fan which I use feverishly when not dancing.

I have also never encountered or seen a female dance host(ess). The social hostess or professional dance instructor might dance once or twice, but an actual female dance host who moves around dancing with single males in the QR? Never.

Edited by tangoll
minor typos. Added bit about female dance hostess.

.........Now, on the QM2, QV, and QE, other than the Gentlemen Hosts, the non-jacket wearers outnumber the jacket wearers .......

That has been our experience both on the Queen Mary2 and on Queen Victoria and we are regular Cunard cruisers. For keen dancing couples who enjoy the more exhausting ballroom and latin dances it is most uncomfortable and somewhat impractical to dance in a jacket almost continuously for a long period. Of course, for couples who just do the odd leisurely dance then it's no problem. Yes, the dance hosts invariably keep their jackets on but they probably have no choice.

Having said that, I have never seen any passenger reprimanded for dancing without a jacket.

Since someone mentioned ladies in long dresses- long dresses are dangerous. When, not if, the lady catches her heel (sometimes the toe), the man needs to be ready to keep her from falling down. Any woman who's a competent dancer is going to change into a shorter dress and her dance shoes.

The dance hosts are subject to all sorts of archaic rules, including wearing those ridiculous costumes (which, it should be noted, do not include proper shoes). That's one of the reasons you see so few competent dance hosts. To the best of my knowledge, only Crystal has experimented with female hosts, I have not heard the results.

Edited by Dancer Bob

Leaving aside all thoughts of dress codes, fashion police etc, can there be an uglier and more ludicrous sight than an elegantly dressed lady being partnered by a 'gentleman' with his braces/suspenders on show? The belt-wearers are little better as they constantly tug at their waistbands from which their shirt invariably escapes.

But I suppose we must excuse the poor, fragile little mites as they are seem to be unable to cope with a little warmth without coming over all unnecessary.

MM

I was on one cruise where a couple of the Dance Hosts used to remove their jackets as the evening wore on. It seemed sensible to me. I wanted them to give of their best, and they could not do that if they were over-heated. One of them was a truly good dancer who did not let down his standards. He needed his jacket off.

However, one of the gentlemen passengers walked to the Purser's Desk to complain, and the Social Hostess arrived to have a word with them. I was told she was diplomatic about it. For the rest of the cruise, they waited until later in the evening to remove their jackets!

.... can there be an uglier and more ludicrous sight than an elegantly dressed lady being partnered by a 'gentleman' with his braces/suspenders on show? .....

'Elegantly dressed ladies' and a social dance floor do not usually go hand in hand. Weddings and cocktail parties - yes. But on dance floors the ladies need to be practical. As for the men in suspenders - in the UK they would probably get arrested :) Yes, we know that's the American term for braces.

Perhaps a smart waistcoat is a good compromise between a jacket and a shirt?

'Elegantly dressed ladies' and a social dance floor do not usually go hand in hand. Weddings and cocktail parties - yes. But on dance floors the ladies need to be practical.

Surely not true Slow Foxtrot. I have seen very many ladies on the Queens dressed very elegantly indeed and dancing, at least to my untutored eye, beautifully and almost constantly throughout the evening.

No, I'm sorry, if a man cannot put up with a little discomfort out of respect for the efforts his partner has made then it's a very poor show. Not to say a bit wimpish.

MM

Ah yes, a thread about Dress Code AND Dancing.... proving to be most entertaining.

In reply to oceansandseas, I am not aware of any rule that says you cannot remove bra, girdle and nylons. However, for someone who says they dance most of the night, I am wondering why you would not be concerned about the importance of proper shoes.

And I've been told by a number of women that they find touching sweat-soaked jackets to be quite unpleasant.

Since someone mentioned ladies in long dresses- long dresses are dangerous. When, not if, the lady catches her heel (sometimes the toe), the man needs to be ready to keep her from falling down. Any woman who's a competent dancer is going to change into a shorter dress and her dance shoes.

What makes you think that ladies who chose to wear long dresses on formal nights do not wear proper dance shoes? I can assure you that my DW always wears her dance shoes with her long dresses and has yet to fall to the dance floor in the Queens Room. (However, on the QM2 the dance floor in the QR is usually so packed with dancers on formal nights that there isn't room enough to fall :))

Bob

I would think that any man who sweats sufficiently to 'soak' his jacket needs to consult his medical practitioner without delay.

Perhaps some sort of compromise could be reached to save anybody from getting into a lather, ahem. When approached by a jacketless man for a dance a lady's reply might be, 'I would be delighted sir. Just give me a moment to remove my make-up, muss my hair a little and expose my underwear straps, it's getting terribly warm in here.'

Just a thought.

MM

The dance hosts are subject to all sorts of archaic rules, including wearing those ridiculous costumes (which, it should be noted, do not include proper shoes). That's one of the reasons you see so few competent dance hosts. To the best of my knowledge, only Crystal has experimented with female hosts, I have not heard the results.

There was at least one female dance hostess on Fred's Braemar last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD