Grills Afternoon Tea

wolfie789

We have a very specific question about an upcoming voyage on the QV.

Is the afternoon tea in the Grills Lounge any different to that served in the Queens Room? I recall hearing this somewhere but am not entirely sure and can't find any information online.

Thanks in advance :)

It is certainly less frenetic and (in our view) has a few more savouries. Despite what others say, we have definitely had proper clotted cream - a thick yellow crust says clotted cream to me - but that WAS just after leaving Southampton.

Against the positives though, there isn't the live music, and there is often a wait, so get there early - or late. Why not try both?

Afternoon Tea is also served, slightly less formally, on the Grills sun deck. There is something very decadent about taking Afternoon Tea on your sun bed.

Is the afternoon tea in the Grills Lounge any different to that served in the Queens Room? I recall hearing this somewhere but am not entirely sure and can't find any information online.

I love afternoon tea in the Grills Lounge - far more relaxed than the Queens room BUT the Queens room is very Grand in its atmosphere - I would not wish to miss once in the Queens room during a voyage. I have had clotted cream in the Grills - but not always has it been served.

You'll find the staff less "hurried". The other treat you'll find is that there is a tea menu.The pastries are generally of better quality. In the Queen's room they just pour standard tea. They will also do that in the Grills lounge(only if you let them!)Be polite & ask to order from the tea menu. If a menu is not at your seating place, please ask for one! The ambience is better. It's one of the perks to being in the Grills!

Is it possible to have afternoon tea delivered to a QG suite?

Hi Ben.

Yes. I had a new-found friend in the suite next to mine and we had a fabulous tea with all the trimmings one afternoon. That was in 2009. I have to believe it is still true, especially QG.

Jeanne

Is it possible to have afternoon tea delivered to a QG suite?

I have had it delivered to a suite on Princess for ourselves and guests - never tried on Cunard, but I do not see why not. (One's Butler should be able to arrange it !!)

Hi Jeanne and Laktex, i sure hope so. Sometimes I don't feel like a formal afternoon tea. I can't imagine why I couldn't ask for it to be delivered with a nice pot of tea.

Laktex - after my butler on QM2 I do hope the next one I have is much better.

What was it about your butler you did not like? We have only had 1 butler before in a Celebrity suite and must say that is the only aspect we are not looking forward to on our upcoming QV. Would be interested to hear your experiences

You'll find the staff less "hurried". The other treat you'll find is that there is a tea menu.The pastries are generally of better quality. In the Queen's room they just pour standard tea. They will also do that in the Grills lounge(only if you let them!)Be polite & ask to order from the tea menu. If a menu is not at your seating place, please ask for one! The ambience is better. It's one of the perks to being in the Grills!

Hope you don't mind me correcting you Keithm, There are also Tea Menu's on each table in the Queen Room.

It covers the history of British Afternoon Tea and the heritage of the Twinings journey which began in 1706......and goes onto describe the speciality tea blend served every afternoon in the Queens Room (a blend of the finest Assam,Kenyan and Ceylon teas)

In the Queens Room there are also two alternative teas available, Earl Grey or Darjeeling.

:)

What was it about your butler you did not like? We have only had 1 butler before in a Celebrity suite and must say that is the only aspect we are not looking forward to on our upcoming QV. Would be interested to hear your experiences

He lacked a sense of humour and came across as condescending when he spoke. He didn't really seem to do much either.

I'm learning there is a lot to having a QG butler from this board which I plan to make use of in Jan.

He lacked a sense of humour and came across as condescending when he spoke. He didn't really seem to do much either.

I'm learning there is a lot to having a QG butler from this board which I plan to make use of in Jan.

Ben,

I had one like that once. I made a phone call after two days and said I no longer wanted his services. Who needs it? I still see him around, wearing that same arrogant look.

Jeanne

I can't say I've ever come across a Cunard Butler with a riotous sense of humour, and we have met many butlers over the years on our travels with Cunard, but I would say they are charming and helpful and not at all condescending, so just maybe a butler's slight reserve coming up against an Aussie outgoing personality [love it when we have Aussies at our dining table as we know we're in for a fun time] could have accounted for the perceived condescension?

Have fun in January. :)

Hope you don't mind me correcting you Keithm, There are also Tea Menu's on each table in the Queen Room.

It covers the history of British Afternoon Tea and the heritage of the Twinings journey which began in 1706......and goes onto describe the speciality tea blend served every afternoon in the Queens Room (a blend of the finest Assam,Kenyan and Ceylon teas)

In the Queens Room there are also two alternative teas available, Earl Grey or Darjeeling.

:)

Sorry, never saw the tea menu in the Queens room. Our last trip was on QV in 2012. It was nice,but we missed the Grills. We do Celebrity, as Cunard doesn't do too many Caribbean trips.(they've gotten shorter)We find the Eclipse to be pretty close to Cunard overall,except they do not seem to have tea service in the Caribbean. You help yourself to it in the Oceanview Cafe'. It's ok, but pretty limited.

Never had a bad butler myself on multiple lines and Cunard yet. I did find my butler on QV had a sense of humor after I returned to my cabin early after dinner on the first night sail away to Hawaii (I was exhausted from travel and decided to hit the hay for the night) and she came into the cabin as I pulled up my night pants. She and the cabin steward gasped, raising the back of their hands to their mouths to feign frightful surprise at what they saw. I don't think they expected to find me half undressed in the suite. I guess they wanted to turn down the bed and give me a chocolate for my bed. :eek: After that, the butler asked daily what time I would be returning to my suite each night, a doleful look on her face, saying she wanted to have the room ready well ahead of that time. I am sure I heard laughter as they left the room that night. :D

Friends of mine (in QM2 QG) a couple of months back took afternoon tea in the Queens Grill Lounge.

One asked for "Earl Grey please"... and was still waiting for the tea to be served when they left the ship :( . So much for good service!

They thought the choices of cakes, sandwiches etc served in the QG Lounge superior to that served in the main Queens Room, esp. the little filled rolls.

However preferred the larger room for the music played during tea, the theatricality of the stewards appearing with their teapots at the start, and the overall grandeur of the room itself.

They're going to have another attempt at being served Earl Grey in the Queens Grill Lounge later this year (I suggested they take some tea bags from the Kings Court and hand them to the steward when ordering, might speed things up a little :rolleyes: ).

Edited by pepperrn

My husband always has Earl Grey when we have tea in the Grill's Lounge. We have never had a problem getting whatever we have asked for.

I always have Earl Grey too. It comes in a small individual teapot as opposed to the general afternoon tea which is served by the cup. If by any chance, my order got overlooked, and I'm sure it happens occasionally, then I'd ask again. There's no reason to be left tea-less as pepperrn's friends were!!

• 2 weeks later...