Wardrobe Question on upcoming 61 day Queen Elizabeth Cruise

wrktundra

My wife and I are booked on the Queen Elizabeth for a 61 night cruise leaving Hong Kong Mar 10 2016. We have never been on a Cunard cruise before and have never been on such a long cruise. My wife, in attempting to plan her wardrobe, is uncertain as to the how the female passengers tend to dress on non-formal nights. Are they mostly wearing fancier (cocktail dresses etc) or are most simply "underdressed" in more casual attire?

In my experience, women seem to dress nicer on non-formal nights than many you see on formal nights on other lines. There will likely be some in cocktail dresses but most in a nice dress (some sundresses in warm climes), skirts/blouses or pants outfit. I found the LBD (little black dress) to be very useful. Add a jacket, a stole, a scarf, or some jewelry and you can get a multitude of different looks with just one dress (very useful when packing for a long voyage).

Surprising, as usually there are many replies to dress questions.:D

I prefer second sitting for dinner. If it is a port day there is time to relax before going to dinner. If it is a sea day, I try to go to afternoon tea at 3:30. First sitting is too soon afterwards to be hungry.

Edited by Scrapnana

Very good advice from Scapnana, I haven't done anywhere near 61 days, but I would approach it as follows....keep gowns/special cocktail dresses for formal evenings. Other evenings, dress as if going out to a nice restaurant...accessorise outfits to achieve a different look . There are some good tips in Maggiemous book :)

Very good advice from Scapnana, I haven't done anywhere near 61 days, but I would approach it as follows....keep gowns/special cocktail dresses for formal evenings. Other evenings, dress as if going out to a nice restaurant...accessorise outfits to achieve a different look . There are some good tips in Maggiemous book :)

I agree, but also bear in mind the interpretation of the dress code as far as the non formal nights, on a world cruise, especially for those on the whole voyage or long segments, is often a little more lax than for that of a much shorter cruise. Same for some formal evenings too for those who don't want to dress up every single formal night.

While I'm not advocating tatty sweaters and comfy slippers, cocktail wear isn't always as urgent. Decent separates, tea dress, summery maxi dresses are just as common as the elegant, simple LBD or equivalent.

The LBD though, does lend itself to formal and informal evenings, depending how you accessorize it but then that goes for many items of clothing.

You will find ladies who dress to the nines on both formal and informal evenings and also ladies who occasionally don't, on both.

I would agree that a World Cruise is SLIGHTLY more relaxed than a shorter voyage, especially a TA. Most passengers still dress very nicely, but in hot climates we have seen more nice dresses that could be worn to a smart day event, and slightly fewer cocktail dresses. I would not say casual though.

Enjoy your trip, we have found a very different vibe on board a World Cruise, no more or less enjoyable, just more relaxed.

We have managed to book a sneaky 10 night QE pre-Christmas break (haven't told the "children" yet !!)...I've almost completed my wardrobe choice including accessories for all ten nights....I love to dress up and feel a little special,it's all part of the fun and anticipation.

We have managed to book a sneaky 10 night QE pre-Christmas break (haven't told the "children" yet !!)...I've almost completed my wardrobe choice including accessories for all ten nights....I love to dress up and feel a little special,it's all part of the fun and anticipation.

Good grief!

You're worried about telling the children? I always book then worry about how I'm going to explain it to my wife!

When I booked the very first one on QE2, I came home to tell her and was expecting hugs and kisses, but all I got was "but I've nothing to wear!".

Stewart

Does anyone else want to weigh in on the dress codes. Does

and don'ts, things you wish you had done re wardrobe.

What about dining, late or early, pros and cons.

Thank.

If I were you I would search the Cunard forum for 'Dress code', there will be lots of threads on the subject :)

Edited by Glenndale

Good grief!

You're worried about telling the children? I always book then worry about how I'm going to explain it to my wife!

When I booked the very first one on QE2, I came home to tell her and was expecting hugs and kisses, but all I got was "but I've nothing to wear!".

Stewart

Ha ! Ha!....like your style....My reaction would be the same as your wifes, any excuse to go shopping. By the way my "little ones " are over 6ft tall ,in challenging professions and still expect mum and dad to organise Christmas :)....they're in for a :eek:....Cruised with Cunard many times but it's still a thrill.......

I have found that the dress code on Cunard on informal nights is similar to formal on Princess.

On informal nights I usually wear black evening pants and a nice top. On formal nights I wear a nice long gown.

I do enjoy the dress code on Cunard as I normally do not get the chance to dress up.

Chez

I'm just back from my first cruise with Cunard, on the Queen Elizabeth. Before I went I read lots of posts about dress, and was expecting the ladies to really dress up, even on informal nights. Certainly on this cruise it was not the case and I actually felt rather over-dressed at times. Obviously some people made the effort, but an awful lot didn't. Some of the ladies (noticeably those from Japan, Taiwan etc) just looked as if they'd dressed to go shopping or something. I was very surprised by this. Even on the formal nights I was surprised that not many ladies wore the suggested colours. I have cruised with P&O several times and on Black & White Night all but one or two ladies dress in black, white, or both. On this cruise I would say less than 50% were wearing black or white to the Cunard ball.

I'm just back from my first cruise with Cunard, on the Queen Elizabeth. Before I went I read lots of posts about dress, and was expecting the ladies to really dress up, even on informal nights. Certainly on this cruise it was not the case and I actually felt rather over-dressed at times. Obviously some people made the effort, but an awful lot didn't. Some of the ladies (noticeably those from Japan, Taiwan etc) just looked as if they'd dressed to go shopping or something. I was very surprised by this. Even on the formal nights I was surprised that not many ladies wore the suggested colours. I have cruised with P&O several times and on Black & White Night all but one or two ladies dress in black, white, or both. On this cruise I would say less than 50% were wearing black or white to the Cunard ball.

Pollypops, That is a shame as I have done a few full world cruises on Cunard and I always find the Japanese ladies dress up lovely and are usually in their Kimonos. There is usually a formal night when in, or around Japan to wear your own Kimono and many people do so. I always dress up no matter what the dress code. I wear nice eveing wear to dinner, and on formal nights I wear long dresses. I find world cruises and segment can be more dressy then say a Mediterranean cruise as the ports are closer together so less people dress up after a day out. World cruises/ segments you get more sea days and more time to dress up.

I would wear black & white for the black and white ball which is a formal night. The Cunard Ball is not the same as a black & white ball. Suggested dress code for Cunard Ball is not black & white.

To wrktundra the opening poster I would suggest your wife takes as many dressy clothes as she likes, and feel happy wearing them. :) Take as many shoes as she likes as we ladies love our shoes and take far more than you need. :D

I always do this and I am not known for being a dress down kind of gal.;)

Poshtotty suggested you read my book. You will be speechless when you see my packing list for a world cruise, but you will get some good tips from it all.

Have a great time and 61 days flies by. You will love it! BTW second sitting dinner is for me the best as often you miss out on port departures on world cruises and sail away parties if you are on first sitting. We also sit at a table for 8 or 10 people as it is often more fun. Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by maggiemou

In most cases this year the Black & White Ball has been replaced by the 175 ball with suggested colours as black, red and gold.

There were a reasonable number of people wearing those colours on our sailing but there were other colours in evidence as well. I don't think people worry too much about the suggested colours, there were some particularly lovely green dresses.

Well, we are doing a 7 day TA on the QM2 next week and I plan on dressing up every night, and extra special on formal nights. Looking forward to getting ready for dinner every night and seeing my husband in his tux. We just can't wait...

It's all about the dressing up on a WC or segment. We did 75 days earlier this year on QE from SOU to Hong Kong and have just booked 71 days on the QV Sydney to SOU WC in 2016. If other cruisers do not want to dress for dinner on formal or informal nights that is their wish so long as they don't spoil it for those that make the effort. Sitting in the Mid Ships Lounge prior to second dinner is an experience watching all the elegantly dressed strolling past. It's why we cruise Cunard. Really, packing for such a extended time is not really a problem. Finding where to pack it all away in the cabin is. My husband and I took 4 suitcases and 2 carry on bags. We both take a few "disposable clothes" thatwe won't mind parting with along the way if we decide to refresh our wardrobe. The gorgeous Maggiemou, whom we had the pleasure of meeting on the QE, dresses to impress every night - hence so many suitcases. Enjoy your 61 days and I suggest your wife reads Maggie's book. It will give her a great understanding of a WC and segment.

We are off next week on our two night stay on Queen Elizabeth, our first Cunard experience.

Both nights are Informal - my husband will be wearing a suit and tie and I will enjoy dressing up in a nice dress. I tend to think if I can't dress up on a Cunard ship, I never will.

Edited by Scriv

Does anyone else want to weigh in on the dress codes. Does

and don'ts, things you wish you had done re wardrobe.

What about dining, late or early, pros and cons.

Thank.

We sailed on the Queen Elizabeth once (it was a 21 day segment of the World Cruise) and have been on the QM2 4 times. Most nights I typically we are a cocktail dress, I do also bring a couple of pair of ankle length pants (not capri's) that are dressy and pair it with with a top that has some bling. I don't dress up at home (hardly ever) and do enjoy dressing up in the evenings. We just got back from a 16 night sailing and I have to admit that I was happy to have dinner last night in a sun dress.