reviews of ms Insignia?

zula

Hello,

We are booked for a cruise on ms Insignia in October. I'm a bit worried about all the negative reviews. Are there any cruisers out there who still have nice things to say about ms Insignia?

Regards,

Sonja

Hello,

We are booked for a cruise on ms Insignia in October. I'm a bit worried about all the negative reviews. Are there any cruisers out there who still have nice things to say about ms Insignia?

Regards,

Sonja

Try this post from our trip earlier this year:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2202923

Sella

I haven't been on Insignia in several years but we have sailed on her several times, as we have with the other "R" ships in Oceania's fleet. Most of our sailings have been on Regatta, Insignia is next, and only one or two have been on Nautica. But they are basically the same ships with different staff, which could certainly affect passengers' reactions.

However, we love the "R" ships, Insignia included. And Oceania maintains these ships very well.

When I look at reviews I toss out those that are unanimous raves or unanimous pans. I look for more balanced reports. And food is too subjective to really worry about. Most Oceania regulars find the food to be excellent. Occasionally you will see comments (as right now from someone on a Baltic cruise) that express disappointment in the cuisine. That has NEVER been our experience.

Mura

Haven't been on Insignia yet, but will shortly - just another 10 days! When reading reviews of the facilities, remember that the ship was just refurbished in 2014. And it is a smaller ship. I have sailed on Nautica (same size as Insignia) and it is a different experience from larger ships. We find the cheaper cabin categories we choose are adequate, but might not be so for you.

Edited by Tansy Mews

We returned from a Panama Canal cruise on Insignia and although there were a few issues--they were not overwhelmingly problematic. This ship was probably the most quiet we have been on--never heard noise from cabin next door except the always present flushing of toilets (no matter what ship you sail). However, even this was more quiet than any other ship. We were on Insignia when it was Renaissance cruises and we remembered that it was a very nice, quiet ship. We thought the shore excursions were relatively mediocre considering the price. Debarkation was a little too long but the positives were good food--good variety, good cabin service for meals ordered in the room. The main dining room service ranged from good to poor, depending on the table and the number of people seated there. We noticed a pattern--if you sit at a table for six or more, expect to have quite a delay in service. Would I do Oceania again, yes, if the itinerary and the price were right.

While talking about food - does anybody have experience with ordering "special" food? Don't flame me, but we do NOT put salt on anything. I have been told that I can meet with the Executive Chef and order my meals 24 hours in advance and they will be prepared without salt. Does anybody know if this actually works? I know the rest of you love your salt, but we don't. On our last cruise, I constantly asked for the salt to be left off. Most meals I ate two bites and sent it back because of the salt taste. Obviously this was not Oceania. This is our first time on Oceania. Thanks in advance for the comments.

I haven't needed to make requests myself but from everything I have read here there is no problem. Just be sure to notify the ship IN ADVANCE that you want no salt.

I'm not sure how this would work with a salt restriction ... if you want gluten-free, for example, or if you are diabetic, you let them know the restrictions and then they give you menus a day or two in advance so that you can make your choice. Since most food is probably salted, this could conceivably be a problem for you.

But the best way to find out is to notify Oceania and proceed from there.

I tend never to add salt to food but I do not insist that there be NO salt. I haven't found the food to be over-salty ... but to be honest I have seen people complain that it *was* too salty. So in your case, better safe than sorry. Notify Oceania of your needs.

Mura

While talking about food - does anybody have experience with ordering "special" food? Don't flame me, but we do NOT put salt on anything. I have been told that I can meet with the Executive Chef and order my meals 24 hours in advance and they will be prepared without salt. Does anybody know if this actually works?

yes we have low or no sodium meals on our file they seem to do it for dinner menus but I just choose carefully for the others

I suppose you could ask the wait staff for the low sodium or no sodium items

I did not notice things being overly salted lately so maybe they finally caught on ;)

The dinner menus are delivered about 2 day ahead you check what you want drop them off at the dinner reservations desk before 10am & when you go to the GDR or Specialties just mention you have a special meal if they do not already have you on the list

For the buffet you will have to ask same for Breakfast & lunch

I do not have a big issue with salt like gluten or allergies so I am ok just choosing carefully for those meals

Edited by LHT28

We were on Insignia in May and June and really loved her. The bed was amazing, the linens glorious - best bed on the ocean. Yes, the bathroom was small but how much time do you spend there? She is a mid sized ship, so, as in life which is a series of trade-offs and compromises, you have the luxury of less people to contend with, can always have a lounge by the pool, the food is fabulous and so are the staff. Insignia has a beautiful decor. You will really enjoy your cruise - wish I was aboard right now!

"But the best way to find out is to notify Oceania and proceed from there."

I notified Oceania when I booked the cruise. They were the ones who said we would meet with the Executive Chef after boarding and he would make the arrangements. I was just curious if this would work or not. We can survive on a 7 night cruise eating salad. I am hoping to eat more over 35 nights. After eating dinner at a local restaurant, our feet swell enough that it is tough to wear anything on our feet but flip flops. Obviously, we don't eat out much. We will bring water pills which help but I hate to rely on drugs. Thanks for the comments.

I notified Oceania when I booked the cruise. They were the ones who said we would meet with the Executive Chef after boarding and he would make the arrangements. I was just curious if this would work or not. We can survive on a 7 night cruise eating salad. I am hoping to eat more over 35 nights. After eating dinner at a local restaurant, our feet swell enough that it is tough to wear anything on our feet but flip flops. Obviously, we don't eat out much. We will bring water pills which help but I hate to rely on drugs. Thanks for the comments.

I have never met with the chef on my cruises

My TA has a note put on my file & the menus appear each night at the door for the next evening or 2

except the 1st night

You can ask to speak to the Maitre'd or the Chef when you board to be sure just go to the Dining Reservations desk or front desk

Also just ask the waiter when ordering that you need sodium free meals

I cannot believe you would have to live on salads for the cruise :eek:

Our Doctor tells us that edema is usually much more a symptom of a chronic lack of perspiration, which is a medical necessity, than a true dietary issue.

Trying to stay active may provide some relief.

That said, typical shipboard water has a higher salt content than we are accustomed to here in the (still water rich) Northeastern United States, so the fish line is moved, somewhat. .

Dear OP-

We have cruised on Insignia many times and on Jan 4 we will board her to begin 6 months Around the World.

Currently there are over 80 listed on the Roll Call for this trip and we are all looking forward to sailing a small ship around the world to visit lovely and fabulous places.

As always, you should make up your own mind, but you need to base that on your own experiences, not those of others.

Have fun sailing!!!

Hi,

I've already sailed twice on Regatta and once on Nautica, so I can say that I like the small ship experience. Only the reviews for Insignia were so poor that I started to wander if there was a problem with this ship, maybe the ship just had some difficult cruisers on board.

Thank you for all your comments

Greetings

Sonja

I'm just off Insignia. Chef stated he discouraged the use of salt until final tasting, that too many chefs do over salt their food. I was fine, my DW complained of too much salt. (WE do have a 20 year old salt shaker in the house, the coupon offer expired in 1994..)

We were on the Insignia last November. It was our first time on an Oceania cruise and we loved it, so much so that we have booked another cruise for March 2016 (on the Riviera). The ship is small, but after being on larger ships, we now know that we prefer a smaller ship. Our room was great; the bed was comfortable. Yes, the bathroom is small, but as others have said, how much time do you spend in the bathroom?

We have cruised on Azamara, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian, and the food on Oceania was the best we've had on a cruise. No extra fee for the speciality restaurants is a plus.

My only quibble is the high cost of shore excursions, so we made our own arrangement.

Embarkation and debarkation were smooth compared to other cruise lines (don't even ask be about debarkation in Boston on Royal Caribbean).

Bottom line, stop worrying about negative reviews.

I'm just off Insignia. Chef stated he discouraged the use of salt until final tasting, that too many chefs do over salt their food. I was fine, my DW complained of too much salt. (WE do have a 20 year old salt shaker in the house, the coupon offer expired in 1994..)

So Lou and Marsha you inspired us to book our first O cruise!

Next July....Stockholm to London on board the Insignia.

No more Vikings for us!

Kathy and Matt