Tried Oceania once, but not again

Kevnzworld

Must admit that I did not go to the first post. Having just read it, it is strange to me that anyone tries to compare Celebrity with Oceania. Granted, Celebrity's very top suites are fabulous, but that does not change the fact that you are on a large ship with special privileges that others do not receive. This does not work for us and is a reason that, although we have sailed on Oceania, we do so hesitantly. On cruise ships, we believe that there should not be anywhere on the ship that adults can not visit - regardless of the stateroom they are in. (As prejudiced as this may be, I don't care if children are not allowed anywhere except during the summer and school breaks in the U.S.)

She is picking an itinerary which works around her time available. I see nothing wrong with making a comparison of several lines. One should be able to keep an open mind. I have personally been on all of these cruise lines and quite a few on Celebrity. No cruise line is perfect as has been said. Celebrity has changed their program and probably is right up there at this time. They do have wonderful suites and butlers and nice alternative dining. We have enjoyed cruising with them. I am sure she will have a nice cruise.

This thread seems to have taken a left turn a couple of pages ago. Suddenly Oceania is being compared to Celebrity and even mainstream cruise line RCI - really? I completely see where LHT - some people (myself included) would not sail on a large ship for any reason or for any price. It seems to me that Oceania, Azamara and Viking Oceans understands that which is why their ships (and luxury ships) sail smaller ships.

While I do understand sailing other cruise lines for itinerary purposes, there are limits to which cruise sails we would sail.

Interesting proclamation. How will the new Crystal ships, at 100,000 fit in?

Interesting proclamation. How will the new Crystal ships, at 100,000 fit in?

Are you quoting a price or ???:eek: We are actually looking at the new Crystal Yacht but are booked through 2016. They have an amazing New Year's cruise this year that we would book in a minute if we had the time available.

In terms of comparisons, I try to keep them within the same category as it is easier to do "like" comparisons. I have nothing against Celebrity, HAL, Princess or other cruise lines in their category but feel comparisons with Oceania, Azamara or Viking Oceans is like comparing apples and oranges. Just my opinion.

Fam_Cruise - I am holding you to this! :)

The only difference in what you are discribing and what we are hoping for as a first time experience on Oceania is that we will only be in a Verandah stateroom. No Butler this time.:( We normally stay in Suites... when we can ...on Celebrity and our most recent RCCL cruise (last September on the Oasis... also in a GS...and also the same not so good experience that you mentioned), but the Suite price was too high for our liking on Oceania. I think if the bathrooms were upgraded from a Verandah to the PH, we may have given the price a second thought, but for the stateroom to be just a few feet larger with the same bathroom as all the rest, we are fine with the Verandah. We can survive without the Butler, the C Lounge, Spa Terrace (which we plan to try once), the hot breakfast and snacks. ;)

Sounds delicious!

There is more than a few feet difference between Verandah (280 sq.ft.) & PH (420) on the Riviera,

My sister-in-law also does less skiing than my brother. She says she needs her days. Have fun doing both!

Yes, hair and nails are important too ;-) You sound like fun and I enjoy your upbeat posts and positive attitude. Does your brother also watch College Basketball LOL! I forgot to mention DH other passion...no trips until April due to skiing AND after March Madness. But...we do have lots of fun :)

Just Clemson football! :D

OK, enough of that. We better get back on track.

I plan to come back after our first Oceania cruise and compare it to our Celebrity experiences. On Celebrity, will be getting quite a bit more in the way of accommodations, perks, etc.

Pre-cruise Comparison

In October, we will be sailing on the Celebrity Eclipse.

Details:

Sky Suite

11 Night RT Southampton to Spain, Portugal, Canary Islands (4 Sea Days)

Butler

Hot breakfast served by Butler on full size table in room or balcony

Afternoon tea/coffee/appetizers served in room

Course by course dinner served in room or balcony

Special Suite Class dining in Luminae for all 3 meals

Special Aqua/Suite class dining in Blu for breakfast and dinner

MDR, Oceans Cafe Buffet, Aqua Spa Cafe or Pool Grill, anytime

2 Free Specialty dining dinners

Celebrity Promo:

Free Alcoholic drink package + non-alcoholic drinks and specialty coffees

Pre-Paid Gratuities

$400 OBC

Being Elite = Free Laundry and DC x 2 days, 90 mins. Internet x 2, use of the spa on port days and many more offers that we mostly don't use.

In February, sailing on the Oceania Riviera (and looking forward to it!)

Details:

Veranda

10 Night RT Miami to Caribbean (2 Sea Days)

Dining in MDR/Terraces Grill or Waves - All 3 meals

4 Specialty dining dinners

Promo: None

TA offer: Pre-paid Gratuities and $275 OBC

Difference in cruise cost, only? The Celebrity experience will be $43 more than the Oceania experience. Therefore, I am counting on that Oceania experience being priceless! :)

Edited by Iamthesea

There is more than a few feet difference between Verandah (280 sq.ft.) & PH (420) on the Riviera,

Didn't appear so in the photos I have seen. Plus, in their descriptions, Oceania counts the size of their balconies in with the total square footage which could account for the large difference in your numbers.

Edited by Iamthesea

OK, rewind. There is a thalassotherapy pool on Riviera and Marine. I did a search a week ago and came up with a link to an erroneous article that said they did not have one, and with the new thread that just came up this morning I went and looked again, this time on Oceania's web site. So my first recollection was correct, and don't believe everything you read on the internet.

OK, rewind. There is a thalassotherapy pool on Riviera and Marine. I did a search a week ago and came up with a link to an erroneous article that said they did not have one, and with the new thread that just came up this morning I went and looked again, this time on Oceania's web site. So my first recollection was correct, and don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Are you arguing with yourself

I got lost in all the posts

But just to confirm there are 2 T-Pools on the Spa deck of Marina

1 large T-pool on Riviera

i-x6Njrhh-M.jpg

The R ships also have small T-pools

We just exited a ten day Caribbean cruise aboard the Riviera. We are avid cruisers, and have done at least 15 cruises aboard Celebrity in the last 4-5 years. I had sailed on Regent a half dozen times before that.

The Riviera was as beautiful as we expected. The condition of the stateroom was nice, the room itself only about 10% larger than Celebrity which is smaller than I expected for the money. We had sailed on Seabourn eight months ago and their staterooms are significantly larger The Oceania closet doors were difficult to use and to access clothing. I preferred the walkin closets on Regent and Seabourn.

The stateroom attendant didn't introduce herself until the third day, and never asked our preferences.

The passengers on Oceania are older on average than the other lines I've been on, at least on this cruise . I would estimate that 80% of the ship was over 75 yo.

We had decided to try Oceania after hearing about the food. This is the area that we were most disappointed. The food is heavy, red meat centered and very traditional and old fashioned.

I live in LA and consider myself a " foodie " and I was expecting more flavor and technique. Except for La Reserve ( which was very good ) it's absent on Oceania. The menu descriptions are overly flowery almost to the point of being comedic. Jacque's is something out of the 1970's, and like Red Ginger, the food is a caricature of common american versions of the respective French and Asian dishes. I had the duck confit dish and the John Dory in Jacque's ..both were heavy on butter and light on flavor. The fennel in the latter was soggy to the point of being inedible. More butter doesn't make the flavorless have flavor.

The red curry chicken in Red Ginger is poorly executed as well. Anybody that eats and likes Thai food would be disappointed. The lauded lobster is frozen, and except for the specialty restaurants, warm water. I had the Lobster with tagliatelle in Toscana and it was tough and not edible.

The Terrace buffet is pretty much along the same lines. The prepared salads weren't great and given there isn't self service the salad bar is difficult to navigate. The food itself is heavy dinner style food served during the day....sliced roasts, mashed potatoes , polenta ...sauce etc.

Vegetable preparations with flair or respect are almost non existent. Overcooked steamed or butter sautéed mixed vegis is boring.

Some items weren't prepared properly, like the fish and chips...they didn't have tarter sauce. Waves burgers with missing or wrong preparations etc

The best thing on Oceania is there everyday roast chicken. They describe it differently in the various restaurants, but the staff confided that it's the same chicken.

The extra cost of the alcohol was the final deal killer for us. The beverage package adds an extra $60 per night per person. The wines by the glass aren't very good. It's the same list throughout the ship and in all of the restaurants. I was surprised that they don't offer different wines in the Italian and French restaurants. I guess they want to sell wine by the bottle.

I could go on, but I thought I'd share this review for other cruisers who may be trying to decide between lines like, Celebrity, Seabourn , Oceania etc..

For us it's Seabourn or a suite on Celebrity

We are so fortunate to have a choice of cruise lines and ships. We are getting ready to take our 5th voyage on Oceania and it is our favorite cruise line. We have been on the Riviera once and this will be our 4th time on the Marina. We find the food very good and especially enjoy the Terrace Cafe.

I am sorry you had a bad experience.

• 2 weeks later...

What a great example this thread is of why we have so many different cruise lines.... everyone's opinion is different for the exact same cruise... that is who we are!!! We have so many choices. Cruise lines to meet everyone's specific needs and wants. I LOVE it!!! We've sailed on most of the cruise lines and I haven't been on one that I didn't love!!! MY OPINION... it is what you want it to be!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What a great example this thread is of why we have so many different cruise lines.... everyone's opinion is different for the exact same cruise... that is who we are!!! We have so many choices. Cruise lines to meet everyone's specific needs and wants. I LOVE it!!! We've sailed on most of the cruise lines and I haven't been on one that I didn't love!!! MY OPINION... it is what you want it to be!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Agreed +1