Visas for trip - when should we receive?

aemari

We are booked on the Pagodas & Palaces cruise departing Singapore 10/10/15. We received our cruise documents today and while they reference that visas have been purchased, there is no documentation included other than that reference. Should we expect to receive something from Oceania prior to the cruise?

I'm on a cruise with Oceania as well, in November. They have purchased the Visas for me. I wasn't expecting to receive them. I thought that O would keep them and handle the details with the different port authorities.

Perhaps giving O a call to ease your mind would be a good idea.

I don't have my documents yet.

Joyce :D

That's a good question. We had two cruises that required visas to Turkey -- both times Oceania paid for them without charging us.

One was a cruise where we agreed to move off of an oversold cruise and the free visas were one of the signifcant perks. I don't recall why we didn't have to pay for the second set ... and maybe I am mis-remembering. (These cruises took place in 2011 and 2012 so things could have changed since then.)

HOWEVER, the real point is that the visa stamps were included with our final booklet. We had to put them into our passports which wasn't as easy as one would think but we managed. Or rather, *I* managed.

Maybe you should check again because the stamps could easily be overlooked.

After that I would call Oceania or my TA.

Mura

That's a good question. We had two cruises that required visas to Turkey -- both times Oceania paid for them without charging us.

One was a cruise where we agreed to move off of an oversold cruise and the free visas were one of the signifcant perks. I don't recall why we didn't have to pay for the second set ... and maybe I am mis-remembering. (These cruises took place in 2011 and 2012 so things could have changed since then.)

HOWEVER, the real point is that the visa stamps were included with our final booklet. We had to put them into our passports which wasn't as easy as one would think but we managed. Or rather, *I* managed.

Maybe you should check again because the stamps could easily be overlooked.

After that I would call Oceania or my TA.

Mura

My Visas weren't 'free' although I didn't pay for them...they were paid out of a cash incentive to move cruises. But.........thank you for advising one to look in the documents for the stamps. I will do so when I get the documents.

:D

We got free visas as a perk. We need visas for India, Myanmar and UAE. Each is being handled differently. For India, we were sent an email (forwarded by our travel agent) with a link to the required documents from a visa agency. For Myanmar, we were sent the forms and must bring the form and passport photos with us on the cruise. For the UAE, I believe they have an arrangement and we don't need photos.

So it depends on the country. Ask your travel agent if he or she has received any info about them.

My Visas weren't 'free' although I didn't pay for them...they were paid out of a cash incentive to move cruises. But.........thank you for advising one to look in the documents for the stamps. I will do so when I get the documents.

:D

Ladysail2, I think we are on the same Nov 3 Marina cruise. We have just decided to purchase the Visa package with Oceania. Just wonder if you had to send you passport to Oceania to obtain your visa? Have you received any forms to fill out from Oceania yet, or request for visa photos? Thanks.

We are booked on the Pagodas & Palaces cruise departing Singapore 10/10/15. We received our cruise documents today and while they reference that visas have been purchased, there is no documentation included other than that reference. Should we expect to receive something from Oceania prior to the cruise?

No you should not expect anything from O. They will purchase a group ship visa on your behalf for Vietnam. (presume that is the visa you will need).

You should check your Oceania Invoice. If you have a TA insist on getting a copy of this invoice as it provides you with much information.

Regarding Turkey. No more stamps from O -- they now issue a e-visa. You can do it yourself too and save money.

Carry some extra visa/passport size pictures with you.

When we got to Vietnam we were informed the day before that Vietnam required a photo of each traveler for the visa. Previously the ship had used the electronic boarding photos but all of a sudden they were not acceptable.

No advance warning but that is they way it seems to be in some areas.

Many people spent their day in Bangkok looking for a photo booth. We now make it a point to carry extra photos just in case.

We got free visas as a perk. We need visas for India, Myanmar and UAE. Each is being handled differently. For India, we were sent an email (forwarded by our travel agent) with a link to the required documents from a visa agency. For Myanmar, we were sent the forms and must bring the form and passport photos with us on the cruise. For the UAE, I believe they have an arrangement and we don't need photos.

So it depends on the country. Ask your travel agent if he or she has received any info about them.

FYI, if you enter Myanmar by air, you can apply for an e-visa online.

http://evisa.moip.gov.mm/NoticetoTourists.aspx

But this is not valid if you enter by ship.

Does anyone know how it works with China when you let O purchase the multiple entry visa for you? Can't believe they charge $400pp when the basic cost is $140 if you have an embassy near you (or around $230 if you have to use a service). Thanks.

They notify you about 6-8 weeks prior to departure to send passport to agency. In the end we had to get our own in Toronto as we had a trip to Florida planned and needed it for that. Very easy if you are handy enough to go in person.

Mo

We contacted Oceania and they indicated they had forwarded this information to our TA about a month ago. Contacted our TA and had the information forwarded to us. We have used this TA many times in past and have had good service, but a few things on this trip seem to be falling through the cracks! Thanks everyone for the information.

We'll be leaving 6 weeks from today to join Insignia in Singapore! Looking forward to our first Oceania cruise!

Does anyone know how it works with China when you let O purchase the multiple entry visa for you? Can't believe they charge $400pp when the basic cost is $140 if you have an embassy near you (or around $230 if you have to use a service). Thanks.

They will send your TA a link with a order reference.

Link is similar to this one:

http://cibtvisas.com/tourkits?bookmark=1&login=oceania

Pick your cruise and fill out all of the data.

You can book using CIBT without paying thru O it is $140 plus the $114 service fee for China.

Just like all things -- hotels etc... O's markup is 100%.

They will send your TA a link with a order reference.

Link is similar to this one:

http://cibtvisas.com/tourkits?bookmark=1&login=oceania

Pick your cruise and fill out all of the data.

You can book using CIBT without paying thru O it is $140 plus the $114 service fee for China.

Just like all things -- hotels etc... O's markup is 100%.

Just filled ours out using visahq.com, gathered all the documentation, and mailed off both of ours via the pre-paid fedex 2 day. Total cost pp: $234pp. Total time for both: about 20 minutes. If that's all it takes to save $330 I say it's a no brainer. Next step - letting our TA know to take the obnoxious $399pp fee off our invoice. Thanks, Paul. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Ladysail2, I think we are on the same Nov 3 Marina cruise. We have just decided to purchase the Visa package with Oceania. Just wonder if you had to send you passport to Oceania to obtain your visa? Have you received any forms to fill out from Oceania yet, or request for visa photos? Thanks.

I'm on that cruise. I haven't heard a word from O regarding the Visas. In my booking info, it does say that they've purchased the Visas for me.

Do you think we need photos? I thought they just put it in the passport...which already has a picture.

Maybe I'll phone and find out.

I'm on that cruise. I haven't heard a word from O regarding the Visas. In my booking info, it does say that they've purchased the Visas for me.

Do you think we need photos? I thought they just put it in the passport...which already has a picture.

Maybe I'll phone and find out.

They need the photo for each application for a Visa.

I just got off the phone with the Oceania agent. She said for our trip to Africa...the Visas for Gambia, Ghana, Togo and Sao Tome, are all transit Visas and they are handled on board. Oceania purchased my Visas on my behalf and there is nothing further that I need to do.

So, I am taking her at her word and am not doing anything until I get on board...:D

I just got off the phone with the Oceania agent. She said for our trip to Africa...the Visas for Gambia, Ghana, Togo and Sao Tome, are all transit Visas and they are handled on board. Oceania purchased my Visas on my behalf and there is nothing further that I need to do.

So, I am taking her at her word and am not doing anything until I get on board...:D

That is the information I have as well.

I will be using our OBC to pay for them.

Thank you for finding out this info.