cancelling reservation

Big Easy

We just cancelled a reservation made in May 2014 for a cruise leaving in December 2015 (this year). Oceania is refunding $250 of the $750 deposit, but is retaining the other $500 to go towards any future cruise we book within 24 months. I'm told if we do not book a future cruise, the $500 is lost. Was this policy in effect at my time of booking (May 2014)?

Thanks

And it is policy to retain the $250 pp after a certain date BEFORE final payment.

121 days or more prior to departure 0% of full fare

120 to 91 days prior to departure $250 per person

Edited by Iamthesea

This is why it's a good idea to book travel insurance for the amount of the deposit when you book the cruise, especially if you are a senior. You can add the remainder when you get to final payment. But you are protected in case you have to cancel in these periods. (Younger people generally don't have the health issues to consider, although anyone can be in an accident that would require an unexpected cancellation.)

The policies have become more and more restrictive over time. I remember when a deposit was $500 and fully refundable as long as you cancelled before the final payment date -- which back then, as I recall, was 90 days. Later on they came up with a longer time frame plus the "administrative fee" of $100 (I guess it is now $250). They also required higher deposits on the top suites plus final payment dates much more than 191 days.

Progress!

It helps to know the policies when you book, especially if you think you might have to cancel.

Younger people should also consider that they might have to cancel at the last minute if one of their older relatives became seriously ill. We were on a Viking riverboat cruise in April 2012 when my BIL was hospitalized. We'd have been out a lot of money had to come home at the time but his children didn't tell us the seriousness of Dan's condition and so we continued our trip thinking there was no real worry even though he was 85 and had a number of problems. He died a few died after we returned.

Before we started cruising we mainly did independent trips which really didn't require travel insurance because even if we'd have had to cancel we wouldn't have been out much. But whenever you are taking group travel, whatever your age, you should consider it. As I said earlier, you never know when you might have to cancel at the last minute ... you could be in an accident, have an unanticipated medical problem. Young people sometimes have heart attacks, too!

For the OP, you do get your $500 if you book another Oceania cruise within the 2 years, which is small consolation if you don't find one you want to take! If you are like me, you can always find one! But not everyone feels the way I do. :)

My condolences. We've been sweating that we might have to cancel our upcoming NCL cruise because of some vision problems DH is having but it looks like we'll make it. We do have pre-existing coverage because I booked the insurance when we booked the cruise, but I haven't always followed my own advice.

Mura

And it's not just older people who break hips. My 22 year old son went up the skateboard ramp on wheels and came down without. Fortunately it's an undisplaced fracture but so unusual for a young person to break a hip.

You never know from one day to the next. Having said that, we self insure.

Mo

Big Easy - Was your cruise a longer cruise that required final payment earlier than normal? If not, seems like your penalty period should not even be coming up until next month, or you barely missed the cut off by a few days. :confused:

Big Easy - Was your cruise a longer cruise that required final payment earlier than normal? If not, seems like your penalty period should not even be coming up until next month, or you barely missed the cut off by a few days. :confused:

The admin fee kicks in about a month before final payment

check your invoice for exact dates or the T & C 's

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/ticket-contract/

It is all there in Black & white

I know about the penalty deadlines. I am the one that posted them in the 3rd post. :) I was asking the OP how long the cruise was suppose to be because according to my calculations, that penalty period should not be until next month unless their cruise is longer than 7 days. It really depends on the December date of their cruise.

Edited by Iamthesea

I know about the penalty deadlines. I am the one that posted them in the 3rd post. :) I was asking the OP how long the cruise was suppose to be because according to my calculations, that penalty period should not be until next month unless their cruise is longer than 7 days. It really depends on the December date of their cruise.

Their cruise was Dec 2nd FP would be about Sep 2nd the admin fee would kick in about Aug 2nd For cruises 14 days & under it kicks in at 120 days

Since the admin fee was withheld I am guessing they were on the 10 day cruise

Edited by LHT28

Thanks Stan & Jim and Mura. I knew you guys would be a big help. If the health situation stabilizes, we will definitely use the $500 on another cruise.

Mike[/b]

Mike

Sorry to hear about the health issues, we'll miss you on Dec 2nd. Congratulations again on your upcoming anniversary.

Randy

Their cruise was Dec 2nd FP would be about Sep 2nd the admin fee would kick in about Aug 2nd For cruises 14 days & under it kicks in at 120 days

Since the admin fee was withheld I am guessing they were on the 10 day cruise

Yes, it was the 10 day cruise leaving December 2. Thanks for taking the time to help me. God willing, we may yet be on that cruise.

Mike

Yes, it was the 10 day cruise leaving December 2. Thanks for taking the time to help me. God willing, we may yet be on that cruise.

Mike

I hope you can on the cruise also

sometimes life gets in the way of cruising ;)

Feel better soon

Lyn

This is why it's a good idea to book travel insurance for the amount of the deposit when you book the cruise, especially if you are a senior. You can add the remainder when you get to final payment. But you are protected in case you have to cancel in these periods. (Younger people generally don't have the health issues to consider, although anyone can be in an accident that would require an unexpected cancellation.)

The policies have become more and more restrictive over time. I remember when a deposit was $500 and fully refundable as long as you cancelled before the final payment date -- which back then, as I recall, was 90 days. Later on they came up with a longer time frame plus the "administrative fee" of $100 (I guess it is now $250). They also required higher deposits on the top suites plus final payment dates much more than 191 days.

Progress!

It helps to know the policies when you book, especially if you think you might have to cancel.

Younger people should also consider that they might have to cancel at the last minute if one of their older relatives became seriously ill. We were on a Viking riverboat cruise in April 2012 when my BIL was hospitalized. We'd have been out a lot of money had to come home at the time but his children didn't tell us the seriousness of Dan's condition and so we continued our trip thinking there was no real worry even though he was 85 and had a number of problems. He died a few died after we returned.

Before we started cruising we mainly did independent trips which really didn't require travel insurance because even if we'd have had to cancel we wouldn't have been out much. But whenever you are taking group travel, whatever your age, you should consider it. As I said earlier, you never know when you might have to cancel at the last minute ... you could be in an accident, have an unanticipated medical problem. Young people sometimes have heart attacks, too!

For the OP, you do get your $500 if you book another Oceania cruise within the 2 years, which is small consolation if you don't find one you want to take! If you are like me, you can always find one! But not everyone feels the way I do. :)

My condolences. We've been sweating that we might have to cancel our upcoming NCL cruise because of some vision problems DH is having but it looks like we'll make it. We do have pre-existing coverage because I booked the insurance when we booked the cruise, but I haven't always followed my own advice.

Mura

My goodness Mura, I can't believe that I never thought of doing the insurance just for the initial deposit after booking. That is such a great idea! That way pre-exisiting conditions aren't an issue and the initial insurance cost is much lower in case we need to cancel. Thanks so much for the idea.

My goodness Mura, I can't believe that I never thought of doing the insurance just for the initial deposit after booking. That is such a great idea! That way pre-exisiting conditions aren't an issue and the initial insurance cost is much lower in case we need to cancel. Thanks so much for the idea.

You are not the only one. A gent I met onboard asked me why I paid the whole amount upfront when I could just pay the deposit and still have coverage DUH:rolleyes:

Righto! But I can't take credit for this idea ... someone mentioned it to be ages ago. It might even (gasp) have been my husband!

In general we don't worry about insuring for hotels since virtually all of the time we can cancel 24-48 hours in advance. But if you are booking with a hotel that wants 2 weeks' notice, then for sure include that cost.

It's those non-refundable items you want to insure.

It looks like we're going to have to cancel the NCL cruise leaving on Sept. 11th because my husband is almost certainly going to have retina surgery this week which will prevent his traveling for at least a month or two. So I'm very glad we have the pre-existing condition waiver on this trip!

Mura

Righto! But I can't take credit for this idea ... someone mentioned it to be ages ago. It might even (gasp) have been my husband!

Y

It looks like we're going to have to cancel the NCL cruise leaving on Sept. 11th because my husband is almost certainly going to have retina surgery this week which will prevent his traveling for at least a month or two. So I'm very glad we have the pre-existing condition waiver on this trip!

Mura

Best wishes for a very speedy recovery to your husband. Sorry you will have to miss your cruise.

In general we don't worry about insuring for hotels since virtually all of the time we can cancel 24-48 hours in advance. But if you are booking with a hotel that wants 2 weeks' notice, then for sure include that cost.

Mura

Eye issues are always scary. Best of luck on a successful surgery and fast recovery.

Mura

Hope all goes well for Howard & a speedy recovery

Lyn

Mura

We have never met or know each other but I feel some connection through CC.

You are always sensible with your posts and have responded to a number of my requests.

I wish both of you the best for the future and hope to meet one day.

Steve