Traveling to Tahiti - what to do with luggage

PVBoy

We will be arriving in Papeete very early in the morning before our trip on the Windstar in Tahiti. Does anyone know if the ship let you check your luggage before checkin time. I really don't want to drag my luggage around for 7 hours before checkin. Also, how far is the airport to the Windstar dock? Thanks for any advice.

Can't help with the check in time.

I will say that by the time you land, get off the plane, and clear FP customs and immigration, you should expect an hour or longer wait. We were in premium economy, so only about 20 people in front of us getting off, and it took over 45 minutes.

They have one line for French and FP citizens, and another for everyone else. They will bring up every elderly person, anyone traveling with kids, and anyone "needing extra assistance" which seems to be half the plane and put them ahead of you.

It takes them 3-4 minutes to process each couple as they ask a bunch of questions and fill out/add a visa to your passport. It is not a pleasant experience after spending seven hours on a plane.

What do you plan on doing after you land but before you can board?

The airport to the pier is about 10 minutes.

The problem with PPT luggage storage is that you will have to return to the airport to get it. Depending on whether you are staying in Papeete after your cruise, you might be able to leave your luggage there for the few hours - use the hotel facilities and then move on to the dock after. The Intercontinental is very accommodating and a lovely property. If you were traveling with others, it would be worth it to get one day room to share and freshen up in. If you get to the dock as soon as they allow boarding, you can then get back off and walk the town... Sunday not so much. If it is Saturday, go to the big market and get your sweetie a flower arrangement for the room!

We were on the August 21 Dreams of Tahiti sailing. We arrived PPT very late and spent the night at the Tahiti Airport Motel. We checked out from the motel at 11 a.m. and reached the pier by 11:20 a.m. Windstar's security was already there and we were able to leave our luggage with them in their van just outside the gate to the pier. We then walked around the Papeete Market and had lunch. We returned around 2:30 p.m. to check in for the cruise. By then, they had already moved our bags into the secured area inside the pier.

Since the ship arrives back in port around 8 a.m. from the previous cruise, I think the security people will be there by then. You can probably do what we did and leave your bags with them.

By the way, we bought a local VINI SIM card (we needed to call dive operators to arrange pick-up times) and some wifi credit to use MANASPOT hotspots. Both worked great and the wifi hotspots operated by MANA were easy to find at post offices. Both worth considering!

• 3 years later...
On 9/2/2015 at 10:24 PM, Seraya said:

We were on the August 21 Dreams of Tahiti sailing. We arrived PPT very late and spent the night at the Tahiti Airport Motel.

Any suggestions re transferring from airport to this motel would be appreciated.  If by cab, is Local currency required or will the cabbie accept US dollars?  And, as long as I’m asking 🙂 how’s the breakfast?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by Rally

I would hate to start a new thread but found a great air fare for a morning flight out of PPT, (just might be the difference of whether we can afford this cruise) what time will they let you get off the ship?  Will they let you get off at 12:01 am on day of disembarkment?  thanks

Yes, if you’re safely docked and cleared (by Customs, etc.) they will let you off.  No need to swim 🙂

of course as always confirm with your TA, but we have been able to disembark at odd times.

• Like 1

Depending of time of day, cab will have different pricing.

https://www.taxitahiti.com/tarifs

Luggage storage at the airport (in french but you get the main message)

TERMINAL INTERNATIONAL – ZONE PUBLIQUE

Consigne à bagages

Horaires d’ouverture
Lundi – dimanche : 06 :00 – 12 :00 / 13 :30 – 22 :00
Jeudi : 06 :00 – 12 :00 / 13 :30 – 23 :00

Téléphone / contact mail
+689 40 86 60 08 / moeahanakahi@yahoo.com.au

Newleno, like Rally says as soon as docked and cleared by customs you'll be allowed to disembark. I was just on Wind Spirit in December and we didn't dock in Papeete until 7am. Check with your TA to be sure but 12:01am disembarkment on our cruise would have been impossible. Hate to think that the time would affect your ability to take the cruise. If you can get the same flight for the following day I know a terrific little Airbnb that you can use for your post cruise day that is very reasonable. Pickup and drop off at airport only 1000XPF each way extra.

Edited by Petoonya

10 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Newleno, like Rally says as soon as docked and cleared by customs you'll be allowed to disembark. I was just on Wind Spirit in December and we didn't dock in Papeete until 7am. Check with your TA to be sure but 12:01am disembarkment on our cruise would have been impossible. Hate to think that the time would affect your ability to take the cruise. If you can get the same flight for the following day I know a terrific little Airbnb that you can use for your post cruise day that is very reasonable. Pickup and drop off at airport only 1000XPF each way extra.

Edited 10 hours ago by Petoonya

Will Windstar allow passengers to disembark in Moorea?  Would like to catch the ferry across and take a late night flight. The airline that we can use for miles only goes on certain days.

11 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Just called Windstar, very frustrating experience trying to get disembark information.  However for the 2 cruises I am looking at dock time is 12:01am (it is on the website).  Finally after repeating my question  5 times The Windstar representative told me about 1am.  However I am not sure I believe him, he did not seem to confident, I had to tell him what the website stated about these particular cruises,  I think I will email Windstar so I have proof of the information conveyed.

The difference in airfare is around $1500 for 2 people.  

2 hours ago, salmn said:

Will Windstar allow passengers to disembark in Moorea?  Would like to catch the ferry across and take a late night flight. The airline that we can use for miles only goes on certain days.

Yes. You need to get from where WS anchors in Moorea, to the ferry terminal, but several couple got off on our Itin. The ferry ride is short, they run frequently during the day, and then the airport is about 20 minutes, max, from the terminal. Very doable. As always, make sure WS knows you're planning on doing this before the cruise - it avoids any nasty surprises.

That having been said - I actually investigated the option while onboard and the guest services person was very amiable and agreeable. In the end it was a no go as the flight I'd been looking into changing to was fully booked.

Edited by milepig

Wow, Newleno that is an enormous price difference. Can really understand why you need to disembark. Maybe you could ask to speak to a supervisor as well as get it in writing. The other option you have is disembarking in Moorea and taking the ferry back. Best wishes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, milepig said:

Yes. You need to get from where WS anchors in Moorea, to the ferry terminal, but several couple got off on our Itin. The ferry ride is short, they run frequently during the day, and then the airport is about 20 minutes, max, from the terminal. Very doable. As always, make sure WS knows you're planning on doing this before the cruise - it avoids any nasty surprises.

That having been said - I actually investigated the option while onboard and the guest services person was very amiable and agreeable. In the end it was a no go as the flight I'd been looking into changing to was fully booked.

Thanks for the info Milepig--I just emailed our TA to get this arranged prior to the cruise!

24 minutes ago, salmn said:

Thanks for the info Milepig--I just emailed our TA to get this arranged prior to the cruise!

As a courtesy you can you please reply on here after you receive confirmation that this can be done.  We have priced out this cruise several times but the airfare on certain days just destroys the overall cost for frugal travelers like us.  thank you

All - it's good to point out that the area where Windstar anchors and tenders is NOT the Ferry Terminal port on Moorea. I haven't been able to figure out where they do anchor and is was at the end of our 11 day itin - so all I know for sure is there was water, a beach and palm trees. I don't know how far apart the two are or how available taxis are - you may need to arrange for one.

13 minutes ago, Rally said:

“Water, a beach and palm trees,” in Tahiti.  That narrows it down.  Now, just tell us if there was sky overhead and we’ll pick you up in 20 minutes. 😇

I'd add that there were guys on shore hawking tours, but that doesn't really narrow it down either, I guess. Oh - there may have been a pearl store.

Edited by milepig

6 hours ago, milepig said:

All - it's good to point out that the area where Windstar anchors and tenders is NOT the Ferry Terminal port on Moorea. I haven't been able to figure out where they do anchor and is was at the end of our 11 day itin - so all I know for sure is there was water, a beach and palm trees. I don't know how far apart the two are or how available taxis are - you may need to arrange for one.

We just did this cruise in December and we docked in Cooks Bay which is approximately 10-12 miles from Vaire where the ferry lands. We used Torea Nui Transport while we were there. Very nice people and more reasonable than taxi. enttoreanui@gmail.com. But Wind Spirit can also dock at Papetoai when big ships are visiting so it's good to check with your agent. That's more like 15 miles from the ferry.

Edited by Petoonya

• 1 year later...